Kidneys are Killing me.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    @Sunny_Bunny_ is so right I've been getting 4000 or more mg of sodium all week and woke up with a splitting sodium headache. This is my biggest struggle with low carb, also if you look at my diary you'll see I'm not as low carb as many on here and it's still difficult for me. We are all so different it's amazing
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    There is such a thing as water toxicity, drinking too much water that you can get sick and even die. If I had kidney pain like you are describing, I would run to the Minute Clinic at CVS and they can tell immediately via a urine test strip if you have a kidney infection. It is nothing to play around with, unless you want to visit the dialysis fun park for the rest of your life.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    I went to ER 2 months ago with what I thought were kidney stones that turned out to be muscle spasms.... THE PAIN!! Magnesium citrate was the answer for me. I never forget the magnesium now!
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I went to ER 2 months ago with what I thought were kidney stones that turned out to be muscle spasms.... THE PAIN!! Magnesium citrate was the answer for me. I never forget the magnesium now!

Our insurance is so bad that I would go to the CVS clinic before visiting the ER. A ER visit would cost me thousands of dollars.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Glad to hear that adding sodium seems to be helping. Hyponatremia (water toxicity) can kill you. A local high school football player died of it two years ago, trying to hydrate before a game and overdoing it.

"Drink an ounce of water for every pound you weigh" has no scientific backing. Even half that is still a lot of fluid.

Another possibility to consider is diabetes insipidus. It's not related to high blood sugar, but is caused by deficiency in, or failure of the kidneys to respond to, anti-diuretic hormone.
  • Granchick
    Granchick Posts: 16 Member
    Agree w/Aquawave....water toxicity can be fatal. Some of my friends drink half their weight in water but never total weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I had a hard time getting enough salt too. I eventually resorted to adding a small teaspoon of salt to a cup of water each morning. And that's on top of salting my food and coffee.

Hope it continues to feel better.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    @Granchick That's what I've always heard too: half your weight in ounces of water.

I've never intentionally drank a certain amount of water whether it was for losing, maintaining, living. I'm sure I get plenty of liquids though cuz coffee.

Glad you're feeling better @trish55011.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @trish55011, you might want to invest in a good guide(s) to LCHF with a section on carb ntolerance/insulin resistance/diabetes - I consult my go-to faves at least every other day! (The Launch Pad has recs.)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    My two cents: I have to get closer to 7000 sodium to feel good, no headache. And I'm with Sunny on the water drinking...I don't drink unless I'm thirsty.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Does coffee count as liquid? I always thought it was too diuretic to count towards fluid intake.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Does coffee count as liquid? I always thought it was too diuretic to count towards fluid intake.

It does count but because of the diuretic effect it's not the same as water
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member

Thank you. I regard it as a sort of food, given that I use a healhy dollop of 18% cream in it.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Someone has probably already mentioned that you should see your doctor, and maybe you already have. If not, urgent care places are usually open on Sundays.
  • castlerobber

For someone who isn't accustomed to caffeine, a single large dose (as in, a couple of hundred milligrams) does act as a diuretic. For those of us who habitually drink coffee or tea, not so much.

Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance
    Rehydration with a caffeinated beverage
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    You might want to double check how much fluid you should actually be drinking. When I was working with a nutritionist, he told me to drink at least 1/2 of you pound weight in ounces. So if you are around 212 lbs you would be drinking closer to 106 ounces or about 13+, 8 oz glasses of liquid.
  • castlerobber
    Riche120 wrote: »
    When I was working with a nutritionist, he told me to drink at least 1/2 of you pound weight in ounces.

Runner's World came out with a formula some time back that seems a lot more realistic--and may, unlike the "1/2 oz per pound" theory or the 8 x 8 oz. thing, have some scientific backing behind it: Body weight x .35 for men, body weight * .31 for women (assuming a moderate activity level). So our OP, by that formula, would be drinking 66 oz. per day...coincidentally, just about eight 8-oz cups. A 150-lb. female would need only about 6 cups (48 oz.) a day.

Runner's World: Drink To Your Health
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member

Thank you. I regard it as a sort of food, given that I use a healhy dollop of 18% cream in it.

That seems perfectly fair!

Now I'm curious.... what's the highest fat % you can get in cream - any idea?