GoaD on the Run - Friday 8/26 . . . and so on

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

QotD: run, rinse, repeat . . . what are the pluses and minuses of running the same race (or training route) multiple times?

Alt: your weekend running . . . any fun races or awe-inspiring training runs on the agenda?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Same route pluses: I know where all the porta-potties and water pumps are! And when I'm having a tough run, I can mentally count down the number of hills remaining. It also helps for time management when I'm trying to squeeze in a run before work.

Same race pluses: I am familiar with the route and less likely to end up on the wrong trail (this is more applicable to trail races where I have ended up with bonus miles due to problems with trail markings).

Minuses: Can be an element of boredom, but I really am able to mix up my venues often enough that I'm rarely bored.

Weekend running - I plan to get in a 10 mile loop tomorrow at my favorite venue, then I'm heading up to Wisconsin Saturday night so that I can spend the day on the trails where my trail marathon will be in 3 weeks. There will be some bike riding as well.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Good points, Regina.

I'm racing on Sunday - the 5K "Milk Run" at the MN State Fair - for the 4th time at the same event. I'm thinking that's probably a personal record. It's definitely better repeating a shorter race than a marathon. I totally adore the kitsch factor with this state fair run and will have a blast (even though I'm not in racing shape). With the marathon, I've found that repeating an event never makes it better!

On training runs, as long as boredom is not a factor, there are huge pluses to being familiar with a route. Dittos to all that Regina said above. I get pleasure in seeing the same areas in different times of the year.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian - 100% agree that I love to see how the landscape changes over the seasons at my favorite running & hiking places!
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Rough work week, and missed a mid-week training run, but will run later today or tomorrow.

I agree with your comments above. I have a hike/bike trail that I love to run on. It is asphalt, and softer than concrete. It follows a stream, and RR tracks, so has a lot of flat places, but also goes up into hills. The trail is 19 miles end to end, and has off-shoots. I can vary where I run on the trail, and I can vary hills in a run. I like seeing how the trail changes with seasons. I have run the entire trail, so I know where porta-potties and water are. I rarely run anywhere else for outside training runs. The unfortunate thing is that it is a bit of a drive, so not as convenient for mid-week training runs. I still run the vast majority of my mid-week runs in my basement on the treadmill with the disco/funk cranked up.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    Mother Nature vetoed running outside by sending heavy rain. After getting drenched the last 3 miles of last week's run, I don't need to prove that I can run in the rain if that is what race day brings.

Treadmill intervals for me. 75 minutes worth - 2 min run, 3 min walk, rinse & repeat 15 times.

I like the treadmill for speed work as it keeps this turtle honest.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Two run club friends are in South Dakota this weekend attempting their first 100 mile ultras at the Lean Horse 100 in Custer, SD: http://leanhorse100.com/

I don't have - and never have had - any desire for this kind of thing. But, overflowing with respect for those who do it.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Allergies still present. Looking at working out in the pool. First exercise since Tuesday.

+1 on the comments above.

Brian - will you be doing a race report? Pretty please?
  • shenry111
    Options
    Good Morning!

Just finished running 4 miles in very high humidity. Still, I managed to run just a tick faster than the 4 miles last week. One more week at 4, then I'll bump it up a little. It is great to be running again!
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One of the pluses of using the same route as that they know where to find me if I get injured. It hasn't happened yet but I like to plan ahead. A positive outlook and all that rot.

Also on a non root I know where the loose dogs and other hazards that are so I can mentally Coast during the other parts of the route.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    Sunday was a day on the trails up in Wisconsin where I'm doing a marathon in less than 3 weeks.

12.21 mile run (mostly on the trail marathon course)
    2.86 mile hike (completed another ice age trail segment)
    8.75 mile bike - I did a point to point run/hike so had staged my bike at the end so I could ride back to my car.

It was hot and humid. Many sections of the trail go through meadows so the sun was beating down on me. Only had issues with bugs during the hiking segment. I'm pleased to say that these trails that caused me so many problems last year during my marathon with my compromised vision were much easier to navigate with two good eyes!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Wow - impressive outing, Regina! Glad to see it went well!

I'll do some sort of race report tomorrow, but in quick summary I'll say I had a blast yesterday racing the 5K Milk Run at the State Fair. Surprised myself a little bit too. A good day of running and "fairing."

Today: all the yard work I've been pushing off for x3 weeks or more! After that, I'll put some more effort in to figuring out what's next with my running. I have a half marathon in Key West in January, but nothing scheduled between now and then.

Question: should we be launching the running thread more frequently? It seems like it drops off the front page very easily when it is a few days old even if people are posting in it every day. Not sure I understand the MFP algorithm.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian - I'm always happy to chat about running and related activities. So maybe we should try to start a new thread 3-4 times a week? What was the old schedule? I seem to recall:

Monday - weekend recap
    Tuesday - race reports
    Thursday - training stuff
    Friday - weekend plans
  • shenry111
    Options
    I'm up for more days, just tell me which one, and I'll take it. Wednesdays used to be for new runners, and I lead that one, but we don't seem to have any new runners right now. I'd be happy to pick up another day, and also if/when we get new runners, I'll bring back the Wednesday thread.