Okay, What's Going On??

trish55011
trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
For the past two evenings, after dinner I am snarfing down food like it is going to pack up and run away. Last night before I realized it, I had eaten an entire 6oz pkg of pepperoni slices. (Yes I logged it ) tonight I decided to try fried cheese. Then I thought hey! While you are in here messing up a skillet, why not make a pepperoni "pizza" fold over. It looked so good I made another. Yep ate them both. Why I eating so much at night? I am not hungry, I just want to snack. I'm not depressed, I don't get it. If I don't get it under control I am going to undo everything I have accomplished. That would be bad. Very very bad

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Prior to starting this WOE were you in the habit of nighttime snacking? I've had a long time bad habit of nightime snacking that I'm working to overcome. I started by changing what I snacked on - making it low carb. But I found that it's really easy to seriously overeat nuts or cheese which were often my go to substitutes. I'm having some success (but still far to go) with drinking coffee (decaf) with heavy cream or tea with coconut oil instead of snacking. Exercising in the evening helps a bit too, but not too late or it keeps me up and then I get hungry at midnight!
  • bujiebuke
    bujiebuke Posts: 6 Member
    Might be due to pepperoni being in your allowed food list which also tends to have carbs/sugars in it. I know I have extreme peanut cravings from time to time, a food that has the highest carb in my diet.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Are you getting enough for breakfast, I know sounds funny but if I skip breakfast I eat more at night not sure why, but that happens to me
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    I find i get in the habit of snacking in the evening if I'm not doing anything else. I could eats 700 calories without realising it.
    What helps for me is having dinner a bit later and then walking the dogs for an hour, doing the laundry, a long hot bath, things that make eating simultaneously impractical.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    I rarely get the evening munchies but when I do I schedule an emergency spa night: hair mask, facial, detox soaking bath and so on. It's hard to nibble when your face is encased in mud plus you get the pleasant sensation of pampering yourself. Find a luxury decaf tea you like, the pricier the better, and save this for your spa night treat.

Reading the trashiest novel you can find while soaking and marinating is optional but highly recommended.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Evening time was the hardest part of the snacking to overcome. I developed a mantra that helped (still does!) me get through these times! It's sort of simple, but I would tell myself. "I'm making the choice to do this for me!" This got me through until the habit was broken! It gets easier over time! Hang in there!
  • sas1uk
    sas1uk Posts: 37 Member
    I've learned a LOT about my eating behaviours over the past couple of years, including the fact that I get hungry later in the day.
    SO!
    Against all received wisdom, I eat very lightly at breakfast and lunch and have a BIG scrummy dinner, which fills me up ( and believe me I'm greedy!! :D )
    Just wish I'd used common sense years ago! It's whatever works best for YOU!
    :)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    same here regarding timing of meals.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited August 2016
    how much fat are you getting at your other meals? If I don't get enough fats at lunch, I get super snacky when I'm supposed to be cooking dinner; and if I don't get enough at dinner, I get even more super snacky (like inhale ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!) but if there was enough fat with my meals then it doesn't happen. (*most days. There are still occasional days that I feel it but if I had enough fats it is easier to tell myself NO)

ETA: For example: Today should be a good day as far as not snacking goes - I just had 64g fat for breakfast and probably won't eat again until 1:00, when my planned lunch is going to have 48g fat - which should be enough to hold me for several more hours without needing to snack, until my 66g fat planned dinner/dessert combo.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I tend to snack when I'm bored and try to keep puzzles or printed workouts or anything I can do to keep me and my hands busy in front of the TV so I don't snack. I want to keep up with my favorite shows, but it's challenging for me to sit without eating.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Addressing the pepperoni: I remember a couple months ago "eating the entire bag of pepperoni" came up and someone responded they learned to buy it only in the whole, unsliced form. I thought that was a pretty good tip. I was neither poster in that case but it was quite timely for me as I had recently stood at the refrigerator door devouring the entire bag. Bummer. I buy it whole now.