What can I eat at the fair? Keto fair foods?

Options
amyhoss
amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
We have a major fair coming up this weekend that we go to every year. I want to have a plan going in so that I am not tempted to eat something I shouldn't. What should I be looking for?

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    MEAT! We are going on Thursday to our state fair and I know they have Pork Chop on a stick, turkey legs but I'm really interested in the lamb hot dog with sauerkraut without a bun! Hope you have fun!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I was thinking maybe the turkey legs. Or one of the sandwiches with just the meat, no bun. Sausages or brats maybe.

Not as fun but you could also pack a few keto snacks just in case.
  • born2behealthy
    born2behealthy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would keep it simple and pack a few things in bag to take with you. There is a lot of temptation at fairs for me, everywhere really. I like to always eat good and healthy before I leave the house and take easy snacks with me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your fair has, but I bet they have pork chops, turkey legs, maybe lamb, possibly could get bun-less burgers. Obviously avoid funnel cakes and anything fried (because of the batter). Look for anywhere that advertises as gluten free because they are bound to have low carb options and it is becoming a common thing to be gluten free. And surely there is a place that has salads.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Meat options are pretty easy.
    Be prepared that there will not be any sweet items that will fit your plan.
    Since I am someone that absolutely will not eat those foods, I wouldn't allow a cheat. But, that is an option for some people. It's a personal choice that may or may not come with consequences.
    If I knew that I would want something sweet, I would take my own sweet treat. I normally would not eat things like Atkins bars and such but if I really thought I might break down and eat a full sugar item at a fair, I would allow myself the bars or other sugar free item that I normally don't eat to be my treat instead.
    If you aren't concerned about the sweets, then just focus on the great festival meat foods and eat as much of them as you want. Allow that to be your indulgence.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Our county fair has a tent just for
    g5z2n658gue5.jpg

I usually skip the fixens.

>:) or o:)
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Oooh turkey legs sound perfect. I love gyros. Could I eat the gyro without the pita? I'm not really worried about the sweets. But the fair fries will be a challenge to pass up for sure. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Are you a pickle fan? Our state fair had giant pickle wraps on a stick. They were Clausen pickles though :# so I just ate the ham and cream cheese from the outside. I'm a pickle snob!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    amyhoss wrote: »
    Oooh turkey legs sound perfect. I love gyros. Could I eat the gyro without the pita? I'm not really worried about the sweets. But the fair fries will be a challenge to pass up for sure. Thanks for everyone's input!

We went to a fair this year, and I had a gyro made into a salad...it was really good. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    At my local fair I always get the 'Haystack' which is like a taco salad without the tacos - pile of shredded lettuce & veg & ground beef with guac, cheese, sour creme, and hot sauce/taco sauce. It's gluten free and low carb. And tastes awesome (it has the longest line at our fair) - The Seventh Day Adventist Booth has been serving it up for decades.