Any runners here?

Options
Do you still carbo load before races? Should that be the only time I indulge in carbs? What about long training runs? Or is carbo loading just a myth? I'm going to google all this, but I will love some personal experiences from you. Thanks!

Replies

• erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This depends on whether or not you are fat adapted, which comes from being very low carb. This book is an excellent source of information:

1516nb8enryu.jpeg
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I need that book! All my running and races this year have been on keto.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I started jogging again this year, it didn't last long but I plan to get back to it. I did not easy more carbs before, if you are fat adapted you will be amazed how far you can go. I used to run in high school and I would get really fatigued right away and have to force myself to keep going. That's why I stopped it was just incredibly difficult for me but I always felt like I wanted to run if I could figure out a way that worked. Apparently day adaptation was the way to go, it's pretty incredible to feel stronger and stronger the longer you run.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I run. When I first started keto my performance suffered a little for the first couple of weeks, but after that all was back to normal. I've never been one to carb load before a race though, mainly because consuming anything before a race has always made me nauseous. I sip electrolyte drinks throughout the race but that's it
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Yes. But not me. :D
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I run as part of triathlons

I don't carb load but I eat carbs shortly before and during events or long training sessions

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I run as part of triathlons

I don't carb load but I eat carbs shortly before and during events or long training sessions

Id like to pick your brain if don't mind.

I have been reading up on pre-race eating and what I have read so far seems to indicate that you should eat a carb meal (like a bagle, banana and yougurt) 3-4 hours before then energy gel and 50/50 diluted sports drink at a couple intervals (obviously more the longer your race is) to keep you going.

Have you done anything similar? have you done any research into it? What are your thoughts?