Help! Worried keto isn't for me - low-glycemic diet instead??

Options
dancing_daisy
dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
Does any one follow a low-glycemic diet as a WOE? What are the reasons behind it?

I've been keto for nearly 8 months now (i'm 31, female, 5"10, 157lbs). Although my hypoglycemic episodes cleared up I'm beginning to wonder if keto as a WOE is really for me. I've lost almost 40 pounds and am back to healthy weight. I exercise regularly with a mix of cardio and strength.

The whole way through though my hormones have been way off wack; From the beginning my skin has been oily and prone to blemishes. I used to find my skin was clear and fresh when eating a good amount of veg. I struggle now to eat the range of veg I did and my over all my in take is lower. Also my menstrual cycle is completely disrupted, I know this is common but it happened 5 months in and has been going on for the last 3.

I came to keto when I found the hypo episodes lessened after eliminating refined carbs, maybe keto wasn't quite the way to go and I've taken it too far for what I really needed? Could a low-glycemic diet be more appropriate?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You can really eat all the veg you want. Unless you mean potatoes and corn and such, those aren't veggies though.
    The reason periods tend to get off track has to do with healing and regulating hormones. Your body worked on fixing the most important thing it needed to heal first, your insulin resistance. Now that is under control (though not exactly gone), it's turning its attention to healing other things.
    You can change the diet if you want and maybe the healing will continue. But, I don't think the period timing is a sign of anything wrong. Quite opposite, it's a sign there's more work to be done.
  • dancing_daisy
    Options
    it's a sign there's more work to be done.

Interesting idea! I have to admit its been the most worrying part of it all!
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is definitely an area for further investigation when it comes to (at least some) women. I have been interested in the effects of our family's low carb WOE on my teenage daughter. I have chosen for my teens to take a slightly more moderate approach, but I would never venture back to grains, etc. personally. Food for thought: http://robbwolf.com/2014/02/20/females-carbohydrates-hormones/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    But if it's veggies that you're missing, go ahead and eat then. Don't bother limiting the non starchy ones. I mean, you didn't get insulin resistant eating spinach or green beans right?
    I honestly don't think adding lots more veggie carbs would do any harm. Unless you're like me and simply can't digest them well. I eat incredibly little veg. When I overdo it, I feel bloated and gassy and get constipated. For me, overdoing it could be a normal size serving of broccoli or a salad (iceberg lettuce seems to be worse than romaine for me).

Whatever healing you still have going on will likely not be interrupted by just non starchy veggies. I would still avoid wheat like the plague but I have very strong feelings about wheat being a terrible food item for anyone. So I'm very biased.
    Just keep an eye on blood sugar and pay attention to how your appetite responds. I think the presence of cravings and frequent hunger are signs that something isn't right with the food choices we're making. If those things stay in check as you increase veggie carbs, I think you're doing just fine.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You could always switch to low-carb instead of keto and use those extra carbs to get your vegetables in, and assuming you avoid the starchy vegetables you shouldn't trigger any issues with hypoglycemia returning. If your menstrual cycle is disrupted its probably an estrogen imbalance, try eating more cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, etc) or taking DIM to mobilize estrogen and allow your body to balance itself.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    No reason you can't have lots of veggies in a low carb even keto plan. What have you been eating on a daily basis? There's really no need to force yourself to ultra low carb levels if that's what you are doing. You'll likely find just as much success at a little higher carb level (hard to know because I can't see your diary to know where your at currently)
  • dancing_daisy
    Options
    You'll likely find just as much success at a little higher carb level (hard to know because I can't see your diary to know where your at currently)

Sorry, I hadn't thought to open it. I've made it public (temporarily). I've only been tracking again for the last few days to keep an eye on my CICO but what is on there is a very typical day for me.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and my first thought is that your fats are quite low for a low carb/keto WOE. Fats are structural building blocks for hormones and if your body isn't getting enough, it may be causing issues hormonally. You also didn't say how old you are, so what is happening with your menstrual cycle can also be age related and you may need more support on the estrogen (weeks 1 and 2) or progesterone (weeks 3,4) side of things..

I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ that you may want to increased your veg and not worry about it, but maybe swap out some of the protein for some good fats.

Of course, ymmv!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I agree wth the others and into this experiment myself.

I am staying away from wheat completely but raising my net carb level. I am using non starchy veggies (low glycemic load ones). I have also lower my fats a little. After the first few days of complaints about the increased fiber, my body is feeling much better. My bp is well down to 120s or under (something I have been working towards), my tummy is regular and although I have no blood sugar problems, it too has less swings within my normal range (I used my DH meter). To my surprise, I have broken through a plateau in weight and I am not hungry - which was what I was really worried about.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    You'll likely find just as much success at a little higher carb level (hard to know because I can't see your diary to know where your at currently)

Sorry, I hadn't thought to open it. I've made it public (temporarily). I've only been tracking again for the last few days to keep an eye on my CICO but what is on there is a very typical day for me.

Thanks for opening it. I took a look and your carbs aren't super low but probably right on the keto edge, depending on how your body works. I can usually be up to about 80 g carbs a day with a little bit of walking and still produce ketones and also get the appetite suppressant effect, so you should have some room there to add in veggies. I'd suggest that you also add some fat with those veggies, I suspect that your body is looking for more fat given what you said was going on with your cycle, hormones need fat and most will get a nice boost of energy and increased sex drive right in the beginning when they start feeding more fat, but yours is still kind of low which may be why its taking longer for your cycle to regulate itself. When I started I had one cycle that was wacky then been like clockwork ever since. If you are trying to keep to a lower calorie level transfer some of your calories from protein to fat and see how that works. Though based off your size and activity level described I think your calorie level is a bit too low so you could just increase the veggies and fat a bit gradually till your feeling better.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your riddle about how to control hypoglycemia. Are you on diabetes meds that have that effect?

In any event, if you're not able to make LCHF work for you and decide to try a "low-glycemic" diet, you have to be extremely careful:
    • Portion size is critical - a few false moves and your meal will be a high-glycemic carb bomb;
    • Estimates of glycemic index/load are often not reliable;
    • Companies call things "low-glycemic" that simply aren't.
    For an example of a false "low-glycemic" friend, take Glucerna Snack Shakes - the first 3 ingredients are "Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Fructose." According to manufacturer Abbott Labs, fructose is a good carb fit for diabetics because it's low-glycemic.
    The Glucerna portfolio contains blends of carbohydrates which include modified maltodextrin (a portion of the maltodextrin has been modified so the body is not able to digest it), fructose, maltitol, soy fiber and fructooligosaccaharides. This helps minimize the peak in blood glucose. This carbohydrate that is not digested may be fermented in the large intestine. These ingredients, in combination with the other carbohydrates listed above, produces a lower blood glucose response compared to a higher glycemic carbohydrate.