Frustrated-confused? Me vs the Scale- 10 years out.

Options
RhiannonBecks
RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
Hey all,

So I am feeling really frustrated by my scale. I know that is not the end all be all sign of success but it has been bothersome lately.

So quick background. I had roux en Y bypass 10.5 years ago, have kept off roughly 110# (ish) I am 5'10, CW 173, GW 160. After some medical problems and side effects of meds, I was actually down to 143, but after stopping that med, I gained that weight right back. After talking to my doctor she agreed that it was too small for me, that she would like to see me high 150's-mid 160's for a comfortable range.

So here's the thing...I have always struggled w/seeing my body after my weight loss, but after years of therapy I started really understanding the change & progress I made. Then my wedding/honeymoon happened about a month ago, and suddenly I totally accepted myself, and my body.! Awesome, right?!? I am not sure if it was bc I had the confidence to wear my bikini all week long on my honeymoon and not care what others thought (except my new hubby) or if it was that all of my work (mentally, physical, emotionally finally clicked?) Either way, I was feeling good!

The problem? Now that I have finally accepted my body, my scale is higher than it has been in so many years. What gives? Have I just given up and started ignoring my health- have I gone to the opposite side of where I was- just not able to see weight added on? I asked my mom & husband if they thought I looked like I was gaining weight (both have been major players in my journey and they are always honest) They say No, they don't see any weight gain.

I of course still have days where clothes don't fit the best or days I feel blah...but that is nothing new. For the most part tho, I don't feel like my body (image to self) matches what the scale is saying and its very frustrating.

Not really sure what I am looking for, I think in all honesty, even if no one replies...I just needed to get it off of my chest. This is something new for me in my 10+ years...so maybe just releasing it will help.

Has anyone in long term maintenance had an experience like this?

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You gotta go with what makes you happy
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near maintenance, so not much specific help. First, congrats on such long-term maintenance! That's a feat in itself. Second, you've acknowledged the weight. Being comfortable with yourself isn't the problem. You have to decide if this is the weight you think you belong, if so, maintain. If you feel you need to get those extra pounds off, I'm sure after 10+ years you know how to do that too!

Congrats!
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I just really needed to get it off my chest and say hey, its out there now. Going to take a REALLY good look at what ive been eating/doing, and see if there is a reason why my scale keeps moving up. Appreciate the response, and thanks for the congrats @NicoleL874 :)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Just also keep in mind that as you age, it's tougher to lose. So things you may have done in the past to maintain may be need to be slightly adjusted for your changing body chemistry as you get older. Ultimately, you know what's good for you and if you're healthy and happy with your weight, then no worries.
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    @cmchandler74 This is a good point, My body at 33 is different than it was at 23, even though I don't feel old, I def have noticed different changes (skin, etc) so keeping in mind my maintenance may need to be tweaked d/t that is a very smart thought! Thanks for the insight :)
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ok am going to ask the obvious. Have you by any chance become pregnant?
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    @ssbeadlady , nope...lol this was a consideration but I have an IUD, which I know slim chances so you still can become pregnant, but I also took a test to rule this out, negative. I made an appointment with my nutritionist and I am going to see if I need to tweak something, maybe switch things up, I tend to be a creature of habit and so we will see. My appointment is next Thursday.