Just starting to train again.

Options
IMbefore40
IMbefore40 Posts: 10 Member
Hi there,
I just joined this group (and am new to MFP too)... and I just started running again yesterday after a GOOD long while away from it.

It could have been worse, but to keep things gentle, I'm sticking with the treadmill to start & will stick with running 3 x a week until that 30 min starts feeling easy.

Enjoying the workouts & staying injury free is the goal.
It's a shame that it isn't as quick to get back IN shape as it is to fall out of it!

(I've run marathons in the past, but for now-- 10k is the goal/plan!)

Replies

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

And welcome back to the running world. It was 10K's that got me started years ago (and the longest race that I had run in the 1980's was a 10K). It was also a 10K that got me back to running after 27 years. Now, I'm up to marathons (ran my first one 3 years ago) and enjoy running all distances up to marathon distance.

It was slow and steady to get me back to running again...almost three years. But once I was back to it, it was real fun and a great community.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Welcome and don't feel alone. I started a 5K to Couch ;) program in 2009 and didn't really start running again until last year. The good news is you can get back to where you were (and better). It just takes some time.

Good luck.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the road.

I came back, after about twenty or so years (maybe thirty) away, some 2 to 3 years ago after a surgery. After surgery it was difficult just walking the length of my deck. Which became around the block, which became the double block (0.5 miles) which turned into one mile, two miles , three miles which then started to incorporate some jogging mixed into the walking... NOW

I've done 3 5Ks, a 4 Miler and am scheduled for a Half Marathon Sept 25. All this year. (Since May15). In three of my first 4 runs I've place in my age/gender group. Nope, it doesn't hurt patting myself on the back. The TM will slap me back to reality ;-)

Now that you've started, keep it going, keep it slow, keep it steady and you'll get the results you're looking for.

Enjoy.
  • runbabarun
    runbabarun Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Nice and easy does it. I took a three year break initiated by an injury and came back to it. I check my body parts daily, even hourly. :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! This place is great, and good on you for picking up running again :smile:
  • IMbefore40
    IMbefore40 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Slow & steady is definitely the plan....
    I'm sticking with the treadmill to start (to control the turf & distance/speed), but I'm looking forward to getting outside again, once I regain that "feel" for pacing myself properly!!
    (slightly more than 3 weeks to go until that 10k...)
    It REALLY won't be pretty... but I'm using that as motivation before my temporary "goal" 10k at the beginning of November
    (NOT aiming to a PB-- obviously... I hope!!! I just want that distance to feel good again!)

Definitely appreciate the Hellos & stories.
    Glad to be here :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IMbefore40 wrote: »
    Thank you! Slow & steady is definitely the plan....
    I'm sticking with the treadmill to start (to control the turf & distance/speed), but I'm looking forward to getting outside again, once I regain that "feel" for pacing myself properly!!
    (slightly more than 3 weeks to go until that 10k...)
    It REALLY won't be pretty... but I'm using that as motivation before my temporary "goal" 10k at the beginning of November
    (NOT aiming to a PB-- obviously... I hope!!! I just want that distance to feel good again!)

Definitely appreciate the Hellos & stories.
    Glad to be here :)

I'd get outside now if the 10k is in 3 weeks time!