One year alcohol free challenge

Options
Hi there,

About a year ago, I started the alcohol free experiment. My goal was to see how I would navigate the agitated waters of festive fall and winter seasons and to what extend drinking was affecting my weight loss. Along that journey, I discovered Yoga (the meditative, mindful part) and accessed a level of mindfulness that I had never reached before. Mindfulness became my new addiction, that I could access at will by being sober and in a meditative state after a challenging Yoga flow workaround during shavasana.

Today I would like to share this experience and encourage and support others to attempt this challenge. Social drinking in the most perverse addiction as the stigmatization of the non drinker has no equal social pressure. Yet, I have found the reward to exceed by far the awkwardness of being socially impaired in the view of others. Deciding to refrain from drinking alcohol is very much like compound interests in a 401k: the ones who enrolled will enjoy the benefits decades later, the ones who didn't might whish they had.

I was wondering if I should use this group or create a more dedicated one with a smaller but more focused audience. Any ideas?

Christophe.

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    No thanks! Sorry I love my wine although I have cut back significantly i will not give it up altogether.
  • thekatspjs
    thekatspjs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes Cristophe, I am with you. I recently had 95 days alcohol free and then gave it up for a cocktail on a patio. 3 weeks of imbibing followed and I gained 10 lbs in those 3 weeks. I quit again and now I have about 3weeks alcohol free. This time I plan on it being indefinite, not just a year.