Insightful Articles

Options
When I decided to jump back in the rat race, I was having a really difficult time finding a job. I started thinking that maybe it was my weight turning potential employers off. And, according to this article, I wasn't delusional. Anyone else felt discriminated due to your weight?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2013/03/04/how-being-overweight-can-hurt-your-career.html

Replies

• RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've never been discriminated against based on weight but the only time I have been overweight was after the birth of my first child. I am now in the high end of the normal range.

I have however, been discriminated against based on gender. I was passed up for a promotion because I was a married young women without kids and my employer said he was worried about hiring me because he wanted the position to be filled for a long time and he was concerned I would get pregnant. I'm actually surprised by how much gender inequality I have experienced. It might be one of those things where you don't notice the weight discrimination unless your the one being discriminated against.
  • marlies_NL
    marlies_NL Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Whenever I go to conferences, symposia and other work related events/gatherings lately (I attend quite a few, all in the academic field), I kind of feel like the event photographer is avoiding me. I hardly ever see myself in the pictures afterwards. And this past year, I even had the feeling it was harder to mingle, like people were avoiding me during coffee and cocktail hour.

It was a big part of the reason why I want to drop a few sizes. I don't want to be invisible!
    I am not even obese, I shop my clothes off the rack in 'normal stores' (size XL) but I really really feel weight discriminated on these occasions.

Edit: it's not like I WANT to be in the event pictures afterwards, but I could not help but noticing. ;-)
  • jenniebean310
    jenniebean310 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bbgraine wrote: »
    I've never been discriminated against based on weight but the only time I have been overweight was after the birth of my first child. I am now in the high end of the normal range.

I have however, been discriminated against based on gender. I was passed up for a promotion because I was a married young women without kids and my employer said he was worried about hiring me because he wanted the position to be filled for a long time and he was concerned I would get pregnant. I'm actually surprised by how much gender inequality I have experienced. It might be one of those things where you don't notice the weight discrimination unless your the one being discriminated against.

I'm totally with you here. I was told once I was the most qualified person for the job my boss had ever met and that I was essentially doing all of the work for the open position (promotion) with the company. I was told I couldn't have the job though "because it's a man's world and if my kids were sick or a late night emergency came up I wouldn't be capable of handling things". I resigned 5 weeks later!
  • marlies_NL
    marlies_NL Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you!