CLIFF NOTES VERSION OF FASTING...

Options
Anyone tell me some things about fasting and intermittent fasting? I might try it. What is it good for? Also, let's say I fast for 24 hours, and I am crazy hungry from the fast. Won't I eat like crazy just from being hungry from what I missed while fasting? And will this knock out any results that the fast accomplished? Is it a once a week thing or like twice a week?
Thanks in advance for the help. This group has been so helpful.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Fasting/IF is good for reducing your overall calorie consumption because you are eating in a shorter window and that makes it easier to consume less - for weight loss, that's it, it's just a method of helping to control calorie intake. There are some other health benefits associated with fasting, and I'm sure google can help with those, there are also specific benefits associated with working out in a fasted state, but those are not specific to weight loss.

There are lots of different plans. 5/2 which is eating 5 days a week and fasting 2 non-consecutive days a week. 16:8 which is fasting 16 hours a day and eating in an 8 hour window. There are a million versions that are variations on these two main themes.

For weight loss you still want to stick to a normal calorie reduction plan and eat under specified calories while still not starving. For 5/2 you take your daily intake for a week and consume that in 5 days, so you are eating more each day you eat and eating close to nothing on the 2 fast days. For 16:8 you just eat all your target calories each day within your scheduled time window.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why do you keep yelling at us?
    :D
    ;)
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Now, that's what I call the Cliff Notes version. Super helpful in a short post. THANKS!
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    Oops... Sorry... Not meaning to yell...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

All caps is the web-osphere is synonymous with yelling.
    She's joking though. :wink:
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

I really was joking you, fellow pal. :)
  • collegefbfan
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ok got ya ... Thanks
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Another purpose of fasting is to decrease insulin resistance. For insulin resistance to decrease and insulin to become more sensitive, there need to be prolonged periods with no food to stimulate it. If this is an issue for you, Google Dr. Jason Fung. He has some Utube videos on various fasting topics as well as insulin resistance. He also has a book called "The Obesity Code" which puts most of that information into one book.

If you are keto adapted, fasting shouldn't make you eat a ton of calories when you break your fast. I fast for 24 hours (from supper to supper) 2 days a week currently. My calories are less than 2/3 of my normal calories, sometimes closer to 1/2 of my normal calories. This is after about 2 months on keto.

Hope that helps.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    Another purpose of fasting is to decrease insulin resistance. For insulin resistance to decrease and insulin to become more sensitive, there need to be prolonged periods with no food to stimulate it. If this is an issue for you, Google Dr. Jason Fung. He has some Utube videos on various fasting topics as well as insulin resistance. He also has a book called "The Obesity Code" which puts most of that information into one book.

If you are keto adapted, fasting shouldn't make you eat a ton of calories when you break your fast. I fast for 24 hours (from supper to supper) 2 days a week currently. My calories are less than 2/3 of my normal calories, sometimes closer to 1/2 of my normal calories. This is after about 2 months on keto.

Hope that helps.

Have you noticed increased weight loss with the added fasting?