Converse Chuck Taylors for Lifting

Options
sammyliftsandeats
sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
Hi everyone,

So on the Stronglifts website, Converse Chuck Taylors were recommended for lifting due to their flat sole.

Now, are high tops or low tops preferred? Reasons why one may be preferred over the other?

I am going to see if my old Chucks are still at my mom's house and if they still fit (they are high top), but if they don't fit then I will look into buying a new pair.

Also - do you wear high socks for deadlifts?

Thanks!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the converse. I do prefer knee-hi socks when I do deadlifts. Still bruise but haven't had major scrapes or anything of that nature. I also happen to wear knee-hi most of the time because when working on feet 8 hours with hard floors, it helps from having much shin pain.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I wear the low tops. The only think I can think of that would make a difference, is if the high tops rub your ankles, when doing squats. If they do, you could just leave the high part unlaced.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Chucks are great for deadlifting and for some people they're fine for squats.

However, many people will do better with a squat shoe with a non compressible sole and elevated heel. The elevated heel reduces ankle dorsiflexion demands which tends to make it easier to hit depth and in some people it can drastically improve the squat.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel are squat shoes available for purchase at any retail store? I am weary of a shoe I can't try on first.

Alas, I think I tossed my old chucks so I will be purchasing a new pair soon.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Not sure honestly =(
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel are squat shoes available for purchase at any retail store? I am weary of a shoe I can't try on first.

Alas, I think I tossed my old chucks so I will be purchasing a new pair soon.

I do have squat shoes and they are awesome, but i hate having to switch and carry multiple shoes. I found that using my regular flat shoes and simply standing with my heels on a flat weight (like the 25 pound disk) works just as well for squats. The flat shoes generally dont have padded soles (not mine anyway) so they are not squishy at all and works great for me.
  • jlynnschroyer
    jlynnschroyer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you do not need to buy special shoes just stand on (sorry I'm new) those circular disk weights with your toes on the ground and your heel on the weight and it does the same thing
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    the little 2.5 plates are about the same depth as my squat shoes, so it can be done and i've done it myself.

i don't like it though. plates aren't fixed to my feet the way shoes are, so even though it's always been fine there's an inherent potential for instability and that isn't something i like with a bar on my back. chips under my heels for bench press is okay with me, but not squats. i really dislike the idea of committing all my weight and my entire centre of balance to a pair of objects that aren't 1000 percent in my control at all times. you also have to get their placement exactly right for your squat width, because it's not like feet where you can move them around until you like the position they're in.

with that said though, $150+ is a lot to drop on a pair of shoes, if you're not even sure that lifting really is going to be part of your life. my squat shoes are the most expensive footwear i've ever bought, but i held off on buying them until i actually knew buying them was a better thing to do than not buying them - for me.

they're not necessary for everyone, either. the rigid flat surface is a good thing for everyone, but you don't HAVE to have the extra height.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I got the knock off chucks at Target (low tops) and they've been great for squats and deadlifts. I wear pants so no tall socks necessary.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I wear Converse high tops whenever I do box squats as they work well with the wider stance I take when doing these. I honestly don't think it matter if they're low or high top-just wear what's most comfortable for you. :)

Also - I always Deadlift in high socks, no shoes (I workout @ my home gym)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @SideSteel are squat shoes available for purchase at any retail store?

i had a hell of a time finding squat shoes at any of the big 'sports' stores. 'weight-lifting shoes are flat.' 'no.' 'yes they are.' 'no they *kitten* are not. necessarily.' and so forth.

i went to fitness town and bought men's adipowers. they didn't have any in women's sizes.

the adis are fine, but i've always kind of regretted i didn't hold out and give this place a try http://www.weightliftingshoes.ca/ the fact they won't fill your order unless you send them a piece of paper with your feet outlined on them won me right over, but i was on this fierce toddler-brained must-have-them-now tear at the time.
  • jlynnschroyer
    jlynnschroyer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Does any one else recommend Vans? Or like those skater shoes? I'm not going to spend 150$ on a pair of shoes I'm too cheap. However I just purchased a cheap pair of shoes that have no heel and are very flat to squat in. Ill let you know how I feel about them
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I wear chucks every time now, but wore my vans a few times. The worked just as well :)