Coconut Oil

Options
A lot of people talking about adding coconut oil to cooking as well as to Coffee to add fat and to help with ketones. Are they talking about the solid or the liquid? Which is best and for what? I don't mind buying it but I don't want to waste it either. Thank you

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    both are the same really. Coconut oil often comes a solid or semi solid base on the temp of the store you buy it in. It melts at a very low temp. So whether you buy the solid or liquid shouldnt matter.

I like to cook some things with coco-oil but it does give a slight coconut flavor so I can't use for everything like I can with butter or EVOO.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, the liquid coconut oil has been processed so IMHO isn't as good for us as the solid. The solid melts very, very quickly as it has a melting point of 75 F. Liquid coconut oil is also called MCT oil. The difference is MCT is mechanically processed to separate out just one type of MCT (medium chain triglyceride). Coconut oil contains 4 MCTs •lauric acid, caprylic acid, caproic acid and capric acid as well as some longer chain triglycerides. There are more health benefits (including immune) in coconut oil versus MCT based on these acids.

Which you want to use would depend on what your health goals are, etc. There's a lot of info on the internet about both types.

Studies are beginning to show coconut oil has brain protective qualities against certain neurologic diseases as we age (ketosis seems to be a part of this, too). Not sure if this also applies to MCT.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I buy UNrefined because I like the taste of coconut. I've never bought refined which I've read has less or no coconut taste. I know that doesn't relate to solid versus liquid but I was glad I read about the difference when I started purchasing.

The UNrefined I buy is in a solid state when purchased but always turns to liquid during the summer months because I leave it on the counter and keep my house temperature over 76 degree (the supposed point at which solid coconut oil turns to liquid). I use it (mostly) only for BPC or just eat it by the spoonful to keep my carb to fat ratio where I want/need it to be (eating keto for purpose other than weight loss). ETA: or my calories up where I want/need them to be. When calories are low, I add fat just for calories.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lou Ana coconut oil is the only coconut oil I've tried that doesn't taste like coconut.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I buy UNrefined because I like the taste of coconut. I've never bought refined which I've read has less or no coconut taste. I know that doesn't relate to solid versus liquid but I was glad I read about the difference when I started purchasing.

The UNrefined I buy is in a solid state when purchased but always turns to liquid during the summer months because I leave it on the counter and keep my house temperature over 76 degree (the supposed point at which solid coconut oil turns to liquid). I use it (mostly) only for BPC or just eat it by the spoonful to keep my carb to fat ratio where I want/need it to be (eating keto for purpose other than weight loss). ETA: or my calories up where I want/need them to be. When calories are low, I add fat just for calories.

Spot on!

The refined stuff does lack the nice coconut flavor, but it's cheaper if you're cooking flavorful food with it or blending it with olive oil (you can mix 'em and put in fridge, then scoop like butter!), and the taste is going to be masked by more belligerent flavors anyhow.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I want to get a high dose (13.5g in my case) of caprylic acid each morning to boost ketones as part of my ADHD treatment. I can get that in just one tablespoon of the mct oil I use. I would have to take about 5 tablespoons of coconut oil to get that much caprylic acid. But then I'd also get a whole bunch of the other fatty acids too and that's not a bad thing. I just don't want to consume that many calories to get my dose every morning.

Great info.

So you'd recommend the liquid caprylic acid over the capsules?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Lou Ann, Crisco and Carrington Farms are all ones I've purchased with no coconut taste.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I want to get a high dose (13.5g in my case) of caprylic acid each morning to boost ketones as part of my ADHD treatment. I can get that in just one tablespoon of the mct oil I use. I would have to take about 5 tablespoons of coconut oil to get that much caprylic acid. But then I'd also get a whole bunch of the other fatty acids too and that's not a bad thing. I just don't want to consume that many calories to get my dose every morning.

Great info.

So you'd recommend the liquid caprylic acid over the capsules?

I'm not really familiar with capsules. I'd have to know how much you get per dose, and the cost to say.
    The mct I use based on cost and dosage is MiCkeyT 8 I buy on Amazon.
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Do you keep the coconut oil in the fridge then?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So, I guess I didn't exactly answer the question.

I use both mct oil and coconut oil. I want the dose of short chain fats for supplement purposes and I also want the benefits of the other fatty acids in coconut oil.
    I put mct in my coffee and sometimes I also add just enough coconut oil if I want the flavor of coconut. I love coconut!
    I cook with coconut oil because I'm not using my expensive mct for cooking.
    There are cheaper mct oils, but the concentrations are lower. They would be good cooking if liquid is more convenient.
    If you only want to buy 1 item, buy the cheaper mct oil at your grocery store. It's a good middle ground. You still get lauric acid and you also get slightly more caprylic and capric acid than coconut oil has.

My opinion, for my purposes, using both is the ideal way to go.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The difference between coconut oil and mct oil is the concentration af short chain fatty acids. Not all mct oils are the same assortment and concentration of fatty acids, but all coconut oils are.
    The only reason you would use mct oil is to boost ketones beyond what coconut oil can do in the same volume of consumption.
    For example,
    Another reason some people use mct oil is if they want to mix it with a cold beverage because it won't solidify like coconut oil.
    Not all mct oils have the same breakdown of fatty acids. Most grocery store options have about 3-4 g capric and caprylic acid along with 7g Laurie acid if I remember correctly. I write a very detailed post about this once where I listed different brands and everything. I don't seem to have it bookmarked.

So here's the thing though. Boosting ketones is often thought to make you lose more weight. That's only going to be true if the high ketones keeps you from wanting to eat so often or as much. The only reason to boost ketones is to get the appetite suppressing effects or the extra energy or mental clarity or other health related factor. It doesn't make you lose weight faster unless it keeps you from eating.

Learned a lot from this! Thanks!
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I use extra virgin coconut oil its kind of solid in the jar, but when the weathers warm it melts easy and goes to liquid, I use it for so many things, hair care lol I recommend coconut oil mama she has a good site lots if recipes, yes the mcts were explained so won't go into it, lots of people swear by coconut oil.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I do not because it it just makes it hard.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    In the winter I keep it in the cupboard, when it gets warm I keep in the fridge, x it soon melts at room temperature, well I live in the tropics, but it melts in your hand. Im adding coconut oil to morning coffee its pretty nice x
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

I do not because it it just makes it hard.

This.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    To fridge or not to fridge: I scoop mine out into 1 T servings and put in ice trays and stick in the fridge. It pops out of the ice tray with a spoon in a perfect serving for me. I do the same with butter. So every morning my BPC takes moments to whip together. I have one ice tray for each and just refill when they are empty. I cover it with foil or plastic wrap. The jar on the other hand is in the pantry.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Are they talking about the solid or the liquid? Which is best and for what?

I use the solid for cooking and when making fat bombs, since it helps hold them together. But I prefer the liquid in my coffee. It just tastes better to me.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not a big fan of the taste of coconut oil, I was intrigued to find "butter flavored coconut oil" by Barleans at Sam's Club. Pros: it is actually very neutral tasting, neither like butter nor coconut. It melts quickly like coconut oil. Cons: Given the coconut taste has been removed, it has to have been processed in some fashion, so it may be that some of the health benefits have been negated. The container says to refrigerate, so of course getting it out is like trying to spoon up concrete.

I'm probably not going to buy again. Your mileage may vary
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a marked improvement in my ADHD symptoms since starting this WOE.