Keto to take along when traveling? Help!

Options
suzqtme
suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
Hi: I'm looking for a little help in figuring this out. This will be the first time I've traveled since going keto. In about a month, DH and I will be on vacation for 10 days. I'm looking for something I can carry in my purse for those "ran out of energy" moments or other kinds of temptations that would be very low carb. It definitely needs to be portable. I've looked at some of the keto bars online but they would melt where we are going with the high coconut oil content. The protein and other types of bars carried locally are all too high in carb or have HFCS, etc. I thought of cheese sticks but not sure if I can keep those cold enough. Packaged dried cheese doesn't appear to either of us and I don't care to make baked cheese to take along. Now that I've made it an impossible situation, can you share what works for you? Thanks!

Replies

• DJPiP3
    DJPiP3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond almonds are nice to snack on (smokehouse flavor is the best!) they come in tin or small 100 calorie pouch, beef jerky is also great (careful about what's in it though, brands like Jack Links put a lot of sugar in some of their flavors). Sometimes I take a Spam packet with me, they come in single slice portion, packed in a nice thin pouch with only around 120 calories I believe. A lot of canned food is keto friendly, especially something like canned herring or other meat. Small vienna sausage cans are good too (if you can stomach the taste).

Worst case scenario, if I don't have any snacks, I stop by McDonald's and get two double cheeseburgers with no bun. That runs me about $4 and is around 500 calories to keep me going the rest of the day until dinner.

Hope that helps!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, nuts of various kinds, meat sticks, beef jerky, coconut flakes, dark chocolate for sweet treats. If you want to indulge more with treats, get some sugar free pudding cups and jello cups.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lindsey black olives, pickles, sharp cheddar sticks, pre cook some bacon, macadamia nuts. Lots of ways to stay keto.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above! Have a wonderful time!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    I keep single serving packets of almond butter in my purse for those times.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Hard cheese will hold up to heat decently (aged cheddar, etc.) It might sweat a bit, but shouldn't melt or go bad in a day or two.

Are there any jerky products that fit into your carb count?

Tuna packets are easy to transport, eat from, and open on the run. I use a packet of mayo ad some spices to mix in and make a tuna salad, one of my go-to hiking lunches. If you carry them with you when you fly, be prepared for a search, all the foil makes for a dense package in the X-ray scanners.

As for things that are easy to find in stores and shops along the way, it's usually easy to find lunch meats and cheese at convience stores in developed countries.

• SunflowerAngel7777
    Options
    Try the Quest protein bars, they have a net carb between 6 and 10. I will normally eat half a bar for a quick fix.

I'm facing the same situation the middle of September, I'm headed with a mission team for 10 days, my foods and meals are pre planned by someone else, only allergies are taken into account. I'll be carrying a lot of these bars and nuts :)

Enjoy your vacation
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Raw Rev GLO bars, raw pumpkin seeds, Flackers, and macadamia nuts are usually in my car, and always when traveling.
    (But never Glucerna!..... Blecch)

And....... a Blah-Food Rescue Kit - tiny containers of: liquid stevia, vanilla, lemon, cocoa & really HOT hot sauce (stuffed into an old BG monitor case).

Only 3 net carbs in Raw Rev GLO's PB & Sea Salt flavor bar. Plus, it tastes good (if you like PB) and isn't too sweet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PVS5PCE/

Flackers are mostly baked flaxseeds and flavoring in small, flat, crunchy crackers. Great to smear butter on at conferences!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What @Cheesy567 said. Room temperature cheese is delicious and I'll add might even be yummier warmed by the sun. A well sealed baggy and a couple of napkins might be helpful. ☺
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Dairylea cheese strings and small packets of ham. I am travelling from London to LA next week. I need something as my journey to the airport is two hours and I have to be there three hours ahead of flight. Usually boredom sets and I am in out of Pret a Manger several times with sandwiches in my hand - this is going to be a test for me. I thought Air New Zealand would offer low carb meals but no, then again it is maybe because I am travelling economy.
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I found small bags of pork rinds at the dollar store that fit into my purse
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott : Can you buy the Raw Rev bars singly anywhere. I hate to buy a box and perhaps not care for them. I haven't seen them anywhere in my neighborhood.
  • RalfLott
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @supergal3 - There are regular Raw Rev bars (high carb) in a lot of health-food stores and grocers. If they have those, they can probably order the Raw Rev GLO bars (low carb).

(You can get them off Amazon for as low as $13.50 for a case of 12 on Subscribe & Save, but yeah, what if you hate 'em?)
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feast of ideas. @Ralfloff, the blah food kit sounds like a really good idea. Never would have thought of that.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I don't travel often and this will be my first attempt at a keto-friendly vacation. With all these ideas, and DH also on board eating keto, we should make it through just fine. We don't leave for 5 weeks, but when the time comes, I'll post how successful we were. <3
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <refresh>