keto diet and exercise

Options
So someone told me that if I'm on a Keto diet, I should exercise in the mornings on an empty stomach cause it will burn off the fat quicker.. Is this true??? What are your views??

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Many low carbers don't exercise much at all and still lose weight. I haven't heard your friend's theory before, dunno if it helps. The fasting through till lunch will help burn fat by increasing your ketones, so that part is good advice! Exercise if you want. Whenever you want.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any form of exercise, at any time if day, will yield better results than none. The difference between fasted and unfasted doesn't appear to matter much to any but the highest level performers, and it's needless handwringing by anyone else. It serves only to waste time and energy that would be better spent doing something physical.

This. 1000%.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I read that training fasted can push you into ketosis faster, I did so last week when I slipped off the low carb wagon. And it seemed to help. Other than that, I haven't heard that you burn more fat.

I will tell you though, if you do weight training, keto can hinder your progress somewhat. You might be able to lift more with more carbs than on keto. At least that's true for me. But I think you get used to progressing on a lower level.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here's a thread linking to a study that shows you burn more fat exercising while keto as opposed to not. And if you exercise fasted, all of the fat you'll be burning is body fat. Time of day doesn't matter as far as I know
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10338195/want-to-be-a-fat-burner-exercise/p1
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Until I get myself into the Elite Athlete category (not gonna happen) the study is based on, accelerated fat burn is a case of majoring in the minors. Just stating my view.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I really don't know why accelerated fat burning, meaning X person will burn more fat while keto as compared to same person not keto, would only apply to elite athletes.
    I'm pretty sure there is an older, less structured study they did with non elite athletes that showed this and lead to this study being formulated more rigorously to really find the evidence using trained athletes so it would be more consistent.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Here's a recent book, The Men's Health TNT Diet, designed for lifters. It's co-authored by keto proponent Jeff Volek, but it's not anti-carb.
    Amazon blurb:
    The Men's Health TNT Diet - Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, and Adam Campbell - is a revolutionary program for burning fat and building muscle. Utilizing Targeted Nutrition Tactics (TNT), the authors move beyond "good carbs" and "bad carbs" to focus instead on "well-timed carbs" that will allow readers to eat the foods they want as long as they are eating them at the right time.

By controlling the levels of glycogen (carbs stored in our muscles) through this unique diet, and learning to exercise in the carb-burning zone (the secret to making workouts shorter and more effective) anyone can shed fat and build muscle.

• tyler_cosner
    tyler_cosner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fasted training will just lead to bad performance in the gym. I would have a pre training meal with 25 to 50 grams of carb so performance isn't negatively affected.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I'm a lazy bum and have good intentions but rarely follow through. When I do exercise I walk and it's almost always in the evenings. I have lost over 40 lbs since April.

Me too! I have not been able to develop good habits that stick for long enough to matter with any kind of exercise. I'm still a work in progress.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Here's a thread linking to a study that shows you burn more fat exercising while keto as opposed to not. And if you exercise fasted, all of the fat you'll be burning is body fat. Time of day doesn't matter as far as I know
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10338195/want-to-be-a-fat-burner-exercise/p1

most people are not under sufficient load for this to happen, but I did notice more fat mobilization when I started ultra cycling on keto. A lot of the cycling is done in a fasted state, for instance, cycling through the night, starting early, no opportunity to get food because shops are not yet open etc.

It was the first time I had to watch my weight to not lose too much. I've got a pretty good power to weight ration now, but if I slip below my minimum weight, the cycling will suffer because of small scale virus infections. Most of what I lost was fast.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Fasted training will just lead to bad performance in the gym. I would have a pre training meal with 25 to 50 grams of carb so performance isn't negatively affected.

Not true at all for people who are fat adapted. Check out the folks on Ketogains!

Also, this book is an excellent read.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    uvxdh36nkkwr.jpeg

Just snapped it up on amazon. Looking forward to the read, thank you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    So someone told me that if I'm on a Keto diet, I should exercise in the mornings on an empty stomach cause it will burn off the fat quicker.. Is this true??? What are your views??

@Anicamarais there are a lot of good thoughts.

Remember healthy living is your number one objective not just losing weight. Keto/LCHF can be done in different ways to a point. I exercise by taking a 1/4 mile walk daily. It may be at 4 PM, 10 PM or even 1AM before I get it done.

We need to control our way of eating and moving and not the other way around in my view. :)
  • BrittaniMyChelle
    BrittaniMyChelle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I did read that fasted cardio or HIIT early on would help you go into ketosis faster because you're burning off excess carbs. Especially HIIT because you'll burning for up to 24 hours after your workout.

I typically workout in the evening or mid afternoon unless I go running and I've still lost. But lately I've haven't even had the energy to do that....