Living the Lifestyle - Tues., Sept. 6th

Options
60in2017
60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Today's topic: Your pantry. I am going to steal a great question I saw someone post as part of an answer to a thread a couple of weeks ago. Due to my suffering from CRK (Can’t Remember Kitten), I am not giving credit where credit is due, so if it was your question, please step up and smack me on the head.
What’s in your pantry? My addition to this question is, can you make a meal of pantry ingredients? If you have ideas for pantry meals, please share! It’s always good to have a point/calorie friendly meal in the house to support “no excuses” eating and I for one could use some new ideas.

Replies

• lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I could absolutely make a meal out of stuff in my pantry, but I wouldn't. I'm a total food snob about fresh ingredients.

But I'm also the kind of person who will occasionally just eat a can of baked beans or make some pasta or bulghur with olive oil, salt & pepper.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hmmm, what's in my pantry? A bunch of expired junk that DH refuses to throw away. Maybe he thinks he will sell it on eBay someday?

While I can't make a real meal out of what is in my pantry (my stuff: sports drink powder, almonds, a bunch of non-wheat flours, protein bars, etc.), I can currently eat well out of my freezer as it is well stocked with pre-portioned containers as a result of cooking in bulk. I have Quinoa Enchilada casserole and Mexican Beef casserole in there currently.
  • 60in2017
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I always have several varieties of canned beans, pasta and pasta sauce in the pantry. I usually stock up when things are on sale. This weekend, beans were 58 cents a can and the pantry is stuffed! Friday or Saturday nights are now saute up all the leftover veggies in the veggie bin, mix in some beans and some sauce and serve with pasta. Great comfort meal.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    What's in my pantry? Multiple varieties of canned beans, canned tomatoes in various forms, tomato sauce & paste, jarred pasta sauces, Progresso soups, dried beans, various types of pastas, whole grains, stuffing mix, canned chilies, canned tuna, canned salmon, boxes of mac & cheese for DGC, canned pineapple. Also, brownie mix and chocolate chips - hidden on the top shelf behind the tall box of oatmeal - for those times when I need a quick dessert to take somewhere.

Can I make a meal out of pantry items? Yes! Between the pantry and the freezer, I believe we could last a long time if necessary.

Some pantry meal ideas:
    1) Pasta with jarred pasta sauce. Add any veggies and/or leftover protein in the fridge, or frozen shrimp.
    2) Salmon patties.
    3) Bean salad (does require a little advance planning to allow time to marinate).
    4) Bean soup (again, a little advance planning to get it in the crock pot).
    5) Vegetarian chili.
    6) Minestrone soup.
    7) Progresso soup - while I greatly prefer my homemade soup from the freezer, this works in a pinch.
    8) Tuna salad sandwiches (does require a few ingredients from the fridge).
    9) One Pan Mexican Quinoa - goggle this recipe. Almost every ingredient is from the pantry. Tastes good, too!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    lilybbbbb wrote: »
    I could absolutely make a meal out of stuff in my pantry, but I wouldn't. I'm a total food snob about fresh ingredients.

But I'm also the kind of person who will occasionally just eat a can of baked beans or make some pasta or bulghur with olive oil, salt & pepper.

We're definitely on the same page when it comes to pantry items! I have back up soups/canned tuna for emergencies but for the most part I cook for the week on Sunday and eat out of my refrigerator for the week.
  • Jimb376
    Jimb376 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pouches of Uncle Ben's 90 seconds MW rice
    Cans of water chestnuts
    (I add these to my "Go To" chicken & broccoli dinner.

Canned veggies that I like: (zucchini w/ tomato sauce, black beans, soups.)

REAL Peanut Butter
    Old jar of that PB2 carp, it never really tasted like PB to me.

DW has a stash of Fiber One cookies; I occasionally raid but definitely not worth 5SPs IMHO

I have gotten away from most boxed food but do keep cereal (Wheat Chex, Nuggets (Wal Mart's version of Grape Nuts) for late night snack or mix with yogurt.

Most of my food is kept in refrigerator not pantry.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would know how to make anything just from the pantry, but I make this a lot:

2 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 large can diced tomatos
    2 Rotel original tomatos
    1 lb ground turkey
    1 taco seasoning package
    1 ranch dressing package

Makes about 5-6 servings @ about 250 cal per serving (if I remember correctly)
    So everything but the ground turkey would be a pantry item
    You could also fancy this up with peppers and onions, but I don't go to the trouble cause I think it tastes pretty good as it is.
  • Johnkaz63
    Johnkaz63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Items we always keep on hand : cans of black, pinto and garbanzo beans. Fire roasted canned tomatoes. Two or three different styles of whole wheat pasta. Canned artichokes. I know there's other stuff in there, but I can't remember all of it.

The meal that comes to mind is Goulash. I'm sure all of you have your own version of this... Here's mine ! Saute half an onion and bell pepper till soft. Add garlic cook for a minute more. Add two cans of tomatoes simmer with some smoked paprika ( just dump some in the palm of my hand). Put the water on to boil while the sauce simmers. When you drop the pasta(half of a box) add half a bag of Morning Star veggie crumbles to the sauce. drain the pasta, mix the sauce in and you've got dinner. I think it works out to be 4 servings @ 7 points a serving

Not completely from the pantry, but pretty close.
  • 60in2017
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! Those will both be great for what we call "crock pot season". Lots of stews, soups, etc. for the fall and winter in our house. Bonus is they all freeze well.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    I make everything from scratch so sure no problem although I would rather throw in some staples from the fridge or freezer too. I always have quinoa and also black rice (forbidden rice) in the "pantry" but would toss in some fresh herbs (always available) and chicken stock which I have on hand too. I do keep canned sardines on hand and tuna fish too for lunch if needed. Like Lily I would always use fresh herbs and fresh veggies too.

I see no point to eliminate the fresh veggies.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Meal might be pushing things but I suppose it could be done. We've got everthing from baked beans (canned) to green chiles (also canned). Tomato-based sauces, oil & vinegar (several different varieties), dried spices (supposed to be that way), canned tuna (in water), fresh onions, and I do believe some cat and actual kitten food lives there too! No sweets, dammit!