What is everyone doing for exercise?

Options
So to spice up this group a little bit I thought it would be great to hear what you are all doing for exercise. How often? What type? Do you like it? Are you noticing any results?

I'll start. I have been mountain biking a couple times a week since shortly after my daughter was born. I was doing Kayla Itsines bikini body guide but have recently started working with an online personal trainer. I am now lifting weights or doing full body circuits 6 days a week and am still trying to bike as much as possible. My fitness has improved dramatically but I still want to continue getting fitter and stronger. I can bike longer and lift more weight. I am enjoying feeling like I have the energy to tackle more in the day.

What about you lovely ladies?

Replies

• CarmsPhotoTales
    CarmsPhotoTales Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bbgraine wrote: »
    So to spice up this group a little bit I thought it would be great to hear what you are all doing for exercise. How often? What type? Do you like it? Are you noticing any results?

I'll start. I have been mountain biking a couple times a week since shortly after my daughter was born. I was doing Kayla Itsines bikini body guide but have recently started working with an online personal trainer. I am now lifting weights or doing full body circuits 6 days a week and am still trying to bike as much as possible. My fitness has improved dramatically but I still want to continue getting fitter and stronger. I can bike longer and lift more weight. I am enjoying feeling like I have the energy to tackle more in the day.

An online personal trainer? How does that work? I too love being on the bike. It's great that my family loves it too. I also enjoy the pool but haven't figured out how to kick that up a notch. I'd love to do another triathlon next spring but I really don't like running - thinking about trying one of these couch to 5K apps I recently found...still sitting on that idea.
  • RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bbgraine wrote: »

An online personal trainer? How does that work? I too love being on the bike. It's great that my family loves it too. I also enjoy the pool but haven't figured out how to kick that up a notch. I'd love to do another triathlon next spring but I really don't like running - thinking about trying one of these couch to 5K apps I recently found...still sitting on that idea.

I love swimming too but I am a horrible runner. I don't have the feet for it. I always end up injured because I roll my ankles a lot. I have contemplated triathlons but I just can't run to save my life.

Basically, my online personal trainer works with me to determine my goals. Then they create workouts for me to help me achieve those goals. Mine also keeps track of my food intake through myfitnesspal and gives me recommendations to make better progress. I like it so far for the accountability component. It also helps that it keeps me from second guessing my programming. I have a tendency to question whether what I am doing will actually pay off.

I also really love playing tennis and going rock climbing but I haven't had much of a chance to do those things because my kids are quite young and it is difficult to find the time.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Time is a major limiting factor for sure! I am doing Couch to 5k on my treadmill because I can do it during nap time. We are getting ready for our first snow, and then I will be even more limited. I am hoping to get a pull sled so I can at least still take the twins on walks. I am only doing 3 days a week right now. Eventually I want to do Insanity again, but we will only be able to do that once the munsters go to sleep at night, and right now, we are still sleeping so badly that once they go to sleep, so do we.
  • sNachers
    sNachers Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have a condo and with that we have access to a small gym, indoor pool, sauna, and hot tub. I feel ashamed that for so long I ignored it all and became super lazy. I've started back at the gym now and have been running and lifting. I enjoy running on the treadmill. I'm not as big of a fan of running outside. I LOVE lifting, but I feel like I don't know the right way to do it on my own. (reps, weight, proper stance) I'm hoping to motivate my husband to join me, he knows so much more about it than I do! He's naturally fit- good for him.... I have to work and work hard to be where I want. That's just what I plan to do. Since I just started again though, I don't have any results just yet. :)
  • CarmsPhotoTales
    CarmsPhotoTales Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    akmomof7 wrote: »
    Time is a major limiting factor for sure! I am doing Couch to 5k on my treadmill because I can do it during nap time. We are getting ready for our first snow, and then I will be even more limited. I am hoping to get a pull sled so I can at least still take the twins on walks. I am only doing 3 days a week right now. Eventually I want to do Insanity again, but we will only be able to do that once the munsters go to sleep at night, and right now, we are still sleeping so badly that once they go to sleep, so do we.

Pulling kids through deep snow on a sled is an incredibly good workout. Extra sweaty to the point of having to dry out the inside of your coat - just imagine the workout you'll have with 2!
  • RosslandMTBr
    Options
    sNachers wrote: »
    We have a condo and with that we have access to a small gym, indoor pool, sauna, and hot tub. I feel ashamed that for so long I ignored it all and became super lazy. I've started back at the gym now and have been running and lifting. I enjoy running on the treadmill. I'm not as big of a fan of running outside. I LOVE lifting, but I feel like I don't know the right way to do it on my own. (reps, weight, proper stance) I'm hoping to motivate my husband to join me, he knows so much more about it than I do! He's naturally fit- good for him.... I have to work and work hard to be where I want. That's just what I plan to do. Since I just started again though, I don't have any results just yet. :)

I love having my husband as a workout buddy. He hasnt been working out consistently recently but for a while we would both work out in the evenings together. We did different programs but I kind of liked that we were both suffering together. As far as weights go, you can google YouTube videos of most exercises. It takes a bit of research but there is a lot of free information out there. I think the big thing is not second guessing yourself. I always wonder if I could be doing something better that would give quicker results and I've come to realize that the answer to that is always going to be "probably." But in the end I don't need to do the best thing I just need to be consistent in doing my thing.

• RosslandMTBr
    Options
    akmomof7 wrote: »

Oh man...insanity is so hard. Even the warmup is super brutal.

I'm with you on the sleep thing. If I don't get a good sleep I find it so hard to function and with 2 littles good sleep is almost non-existent. One day it would be nice to get my workouts out of the way first thing in the morning but I am just not willing to sacrifice sleep.

• jenniebean310
    jenniebean310 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to do my best to utilize naps & bed time with the littles. I really love to bike but can only fit the littlest one on mine, my hubby works all the time anymore & our middle is still working on loosing the training wheels so it has been the stationary bike collecting all the miles this year. I love to mountain hike & rock climb too but those activities are extremely limited right now. I love our rowing machine too & my Jillian Michaels videos. I also do various other circuit training excercise a from 8fit & other free online sources. I try to do at least 30 minutes of good cardio & 20 of strength training 5 days a week and my 10k steps on top of that for the other two. I went back up 4 lbs on the scale a few weeks ago & have been sitting stagnant but I know I'm eating well (mostly
  • jenniebean310
    jenniebean310 Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Continued... (Motor mouth here)
    And drinking plenty of water. My energy, endurance & strength have both boosted immensely and with that I call it a plus. Got into a bit of a depressed rut lately with some family stress & the loss of a good friend but I'm pushing myself back in the game.
  • kiwitreelady
    kiwitreelady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with Kell and Daniel from Fitness Blender. Check out their website if you haven't heard of them. I try to work out with their videos Monday through Friday, for 20 to 40 minutes. I also get my 10,000 steps every day. I can't get out for my walk until after the kids get to sleep.
  • marlies_NL
    marlies_NL Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I swim once a week, and I try to squeeze 10.000 steps in every day. Which isn't easy, since I don't own a tredmill.
  • fit_healthy
    fit_healthy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Now that the kids are back to school.

I go to the gym at least 3 times a week. This week i did a HIIT workout, 30 minutes interval training. Gets your heart rate going.

I try and walk around 8000-1000 a day except on the weekend find it hard to put in the steps.

Fridays, kids have swimming so I have started joining them. They have classes, and before I would just sit and watch them.

Also it is trying to find the time, if I can't do a workout in the afternoon. I will wake up 6am to do a workout. Sounds crazy, but I feel really good knowing I have fit it in.

During the holidays it was hard to go to the gym. So I watched YouTube and did some t25, and HIIT workouts. May do that next week, to give my body a shock.

I do weights but not that often, I should really start again.
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I put my girls in a double jogger after work and go for walks/runs. If I run out of work during the day and my youngest is napping at the same time I'll try to get in random workouts I find on YouTube and Pinterest.
  • swiftfox1980
    swiftfox1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yoga and hiking and not enough of it! I used to run but my knee is injured. I used to aim for every other day- now it's more like every other week
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just started doing a 30 day challenge from Betty Rocker, it's 15 minutes every day. It is totally kicking my butt in a good way and the time commitment is perfect to fit in with the kids!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of thirty minutes of some kind of activity, every single day. I workout at home, kettle bells, weights, Leslie Sansone videos, I have a few beachbody programs, online, Fitness Blender is a staple. When I can, I walk outside or bike. I make sure to stretch, yoga, Pilates. I can't stick with one thing, I get bored.