Living the Lifestyle - Wednesday, 9/7/16

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Today's topic: Not hungry

We all know when we're hungry. Or maybe it's not "hungry" in the technical sense of the word, but it's the usual and accustomed sensation of wanting food. What about when you're not hungry? Do you know what that feels like? In this context, I'm not talking about right after eating or if you're 'full', but the more routine sensation of not needing or wanting food. Do you ever take time to be aware of how if feels to not have that urge to eat? Discuss.

Replies

• minimyzeme
    Options
    This is something I've been exploring the last couple weeks. I've done a little creep upward over the summer and recently buckled down to reverse the trend. In the course of doing so, I've caught myself going for food a few times and with a moment's hesitation realized I wasn't really hungry. It sounds a little crazy, but when I do that self assessment, there is a greater awareness of just being content, food-wise.

Having learned this, I've made a point of 'checking-in' at other times during they day, when I'm not going for food but just want a greater awareness of what if feels like not to be wanting or "needing" food. For me, it's actually a really comfortable and satisfied sense of being that I never was aware of or gave any thought to until recently. I can almost breathe a sigh of relief realizing I'm all set, and don't have any call for food or drink.

I think this newfound awareness has helped me do some course correction over the last couple weeks. I know there's the saying 'If hunger's not the problem, food's not the answer.' I find it's helping me to just be more mindful when there is no problem and I'm not trying to fix anything. The sensation of being content food-wise is becoming more frequent than not, and it helps me appreciate just 'being' without needing or wanting to add anything more.

Nebulous concept, but it's been insightful for me...
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Dang, I was just thinking about this yesterday. Only I didn't stop to really think about it like you have. Maybe that is part of my struggle. I don't want to look too deep inside. I am slightly aware, but that is all.

Thanks for taking the time to share this, Kim.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've never really thought about this. I've gone through the am I really hungry or just thirsty and hungry or just want to eat because I'm agitated. But never tried to isolate and focus on not hungry.

Now that I think about it, I frequently eat when not hungry because it's either now or 4 hrs from now. If I wait I'll be out of control. But I look on this as a positive. The more I think of food as fuel the better. I'm not particularly hungry right now. But the oatmeal is ready & I can't make it to lunch without it.

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,023 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about this concept for a long time, but since moving over to MFP (and thus trying to take off a few pounds and get back down to my personal goal weight), I've "rediscovered" this. What I've come to appreciate/remember is that when I'm really restricting my intake, I am "satisfied" after eating, but not full/stuffed. By the time the next meal rolls around, I'm actually hungry. It's weird, but it kind of feels good to be hungry as it makes me feel like I'm eating just enough at meals to get me by until the next meal.

Plus, it's always useful to remember that one doesn't generally starve to death between lunch and dinner.

I have also come to re-appreciate the idea that sometimes I simply want to eat at times where it's not hunger. More times than not it's boredom. What's tricky about boredom-eating is that since it's not hunger, it's a hard sensation to satisfy with food! I end up having a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, until I manage to drag myself out of the kitchen. This is an area that I really need to work on.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Definitely a new topic! When I'm "not hungry" but know I "should" eat My thought goes like this:
    1. Eat because you MUST eat your daily SPs in order to lose. (My WW ML mantra)
    2. Don't eat because we know it less calories in than calories used that cause us to lose weight. (Shendler)
    3. I recall when I used to eat mindlessly not even asking if I was hungry.
    4. I recall the enormous quantities of food I used to eat and how I learned how very little Healthy food I really need to sustain my weight and NOT lose a pound a week.
    5. Finally I usually conclude I'm paying WW Inc $$$ for their secret MAGIC formula so follow the Plan it works.

As you can tell after three years and eight months on WW I'm still confused at times. after a lifetime of NEVER allowing myself to be hungry now I have to THINK about what to eat when I'm NOT EVEN HUNGRY! Dang is it really this complicated???

Not hungry but should eat some breakfast! Thanks for starting my day with a headache' j/k
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I partially blame my high activity level, but even at a small calorie deficit I always feel hungry between meals and snacks and always want more food. If I'm eating at maintenance it's much more common for me to have that feeling of fullness and satiety where I legitimately don't physically want any more food after meals.

Although emotionally, I always want more food, so there is the struggle with that too. I usually make myself wait 20 minutes after eating to assess where I'm really at and if it's physical or mental hunger. I also play the game where I ask myself if baby carrots or broccoli sound appetizing. If the answer is no, then I'm not hungry.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article (can't source it) that said that a lot of overweight people have little or no "hunger sense" and it's controlled by a hormone. Mine is pretty messed up. Sometimes, the signal that I need to eat something is the shakes and a headache, some days, I seem to be hungry all the time, no matter how much I put away. The only semi-solution I've found is to be regimented in my eating amounts and times and try and forget about food in between. I learned this from my dog -
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Basically what Rachel said.

I've also noticed that my portion creep correlates with my scale creep. (Obviously it causes it, too, but I also legit eat more when I weigh more--I find myself needing to rely more heavily on nutrient-dense foods so that I can eat more.)
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have little or at least less "hunger sense" at least compared to most folks I know. It works against me because I don't have a great "satisfaction meter."

DW is "starving" ravenously hungry and then a few bites later piuts her fork down and stops eating. It's like "really?"
    Lately I think my hedonic hunger has been working against me at night. I want and eat that chocolate and am not physically hungry.

Do I know what it feels like to not be hungry?? Sure. I am that way much of the time. Not hungry in the morning or really at mid day either regardless of whether I eat or not. I find I do slightly better if I eat a modest something late morning .

I obviously do need portion control and do that by habit. I need to keep the "treat stuff" more at bay.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My hunger signals seem inconsistent. I get caught up in trying to make sense of reasons for feeling hungry (when did eat last?, what did I eat?, when did I exercise?), and would probably be better served if I focused more on the message itself.

This is a great topic. I promise to put some thought into the "not hungry" feeling.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm probably "not hungry" more often than I think I am. Unfortunately my emotional state as well as sleep status can lead to a negative disruption in hunger signals.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am aware of that comfortable, satisfied, don't need to think about food sensation. It usually occurs when I am mentally and/or physically engaged in an activity that I enjoy. At those times, I am content and not hungry. And if I am hungry, it is appropriately timed and easily satisfied. For me, boredom, anxiety, and sleep deprivation lead to eating for all the wrong reasons.

• leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I experience knowing I am not hungry at night, typically a couple hours after eating dinner my husband usually eats a small snack, I check in with myself when he brings it up and pass if I am not hungry. And I get a little glow of happiness that I don't feel hungry. I found when in losing mode I kind of always feel hungry so when I don't it feels good.
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I definitely view this sensation as positive. It's good reinforcement for mindful eating and for me that's been one of the major keys to my weight loss goals (except the small creep upward recently).

For quite some time, one of my strategies has been to try to take some of 'the fight' out of weight loss. If I obsess on things, they can drive me crazy. Doing this check-in thing periodically through the day and finding I need absolutely nothing makes me feel content and satisfied. It's a new awareness--maybe the opposite of the craving or desire when I do want food.

I admit it's a bit nebulous but I'm intentionally trying to be more tuned in to this and other weight-related states of being. Anything that reinforces the positive result helps.