GOAD on the Run - Tuesday 9/6

Options
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

QotD: Run/Walk intervals: What intervals do you use when you train? Is that different from when you race?

Alt: How did your holiday weekend running plans go? As planned or interrupted by life?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My typical training run/walk pattern is 4 minute run, 1 minute walk. I may skip some of the walk intervals in the second half if I know I'm going to get caught by traffic lights and just be standing around. My normal weekday route has 2 major roads to cross both out and back (4 opportunities for delays).

Shorter races like a 10K or 10 mile I will generally try to run continuously.

For a 1/2 marathon it will depend on heat and terrain. If it is a hot race day, then run/walk will be done to help keep my core temperature down. Very hilly trail runs will have natural walk intervals built in.

When I did the marathon last spring (11 miles paved bike path, 5 miles of muddy trails, remainder paved bike path), I was doing 9 minute run, 1 minute walk for the first 11 miles as I was trying to make sure that I met up with my friend for the muddy trail section when I told her to expect me. After we got done with the muddy trails, I switched to 4 minute run, 1 minute walk as I was tired from fighting the mud.

Alt: All went as planned. 8+ mile hike followed by 10 mile brisk walk to support a friend doing a 12 hour event on Saturday. 20 mile "race" on Sunday - felt like the last 20 miles of the marathon since I was running/walking on very tired and sore feet.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've never really trained with run/walk intervals. I've thought about it, and might yet do it someday. I think I recall correctly that with Galloway method you do train with the same interval ratio as you'll do on race day.

I had an awesome long weekend. I did a 4.5 mile run on Sunday on some favorite trails, and on Monday I went for a 29 mile bike ride. I did a big loop around most of Lake Minnetonka, and it was great fun. I needed that!

Back at work today, and busy as can be.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Good Evening

Since the Tuesday thread is just getting started, I will skip the new runner Wednesday thread this week.

I used to run 4/walk 1. That worked good for my for my first half in 2010. Then, I discovered HR based training. When I was in shape, I could run 8 miles without walking, just by slowing from my normal slow to even slower than slow. Then, I stopped running for a couple of years. When I started running again, I would barely start running when my HR would get high, and I'd have to walk. It was 30%R/70%W at first, it seemed. Now, I'm about 2 months into running again, and I can go 4 miles. I have short walk breaks about every 1/3 to 1/2 mile depending on the heat and humidity. I run until my HR gets to about 85% max, then I walk until it dips below 80%. Towards the end of the run, I get up to just north of 90% max. It sounds sorta complicated, but really it is not. I run until I get to a high HR, let it drop, then run again. As I get more into shape, I spend more time running and less walking. Eventually, I will vary my running speeds again, and not walk so much (I hope). Also when I get into better shape, I will try to keep my HR around 75% - 80%, and not feel like I'm working so hard during the run, especially on long runs.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    @shenry111, I really like the way you do your interevals. I've done speed workouts with the HRM in a similar way, but only a handful of times. It makes so much sense, and it's really not that complicated. I should be using my HRM every run, and I almost never do.

I did a fun 2.5 miles on the bike/hike path last evening, most of it in steady warm rain but some of it in pretty heavy rain. It felt great! The key, as always, is to start running before it starts raining. Lol. The clouds let loose on this one before I was 1/4 mile into the run, but because I was already running I was able to chill out and just enjoy the feeling.

Some semblance of a strength workout will happen today. Not sure I'll get to the gym (because I need to get my hair cut too), but if not I'll do this old favorite at home.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm officially too old and fat to just do a half marathon without training. I mean, I still DID, but I hurt the next day. And the day after that.

I used my regular interval plan: run when you can, walk when you need to.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do something very similar to Steve but I do not use a HRM. I simply slow my running down to as slow as I need to go to catch my breath and get my heart rate down, although I do focus more on my breathing than HR. Once it's normal again, I fall back into a faster pace... and lose my breath again eventually.

Alt: I just looked at my Garmin run log and counted 15 runs since May 1st... Most likely my worst summer of running since I started this hobby about 7 years ago. The good news is the weather is cooling off significantly starting Saturday and I am going to get this hobby going again. I did ride the bike this weekend with my little sister and her bf, and lifted weights yesterday, so at least there's that.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for firing up the thread yesterday!
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I guess since I started the thread yesterday, I should actually answer the question. ;) But really, I asked the question because my thought process has changed so much. I used to equate walking as "failure as a runner because you were not running".

Pre-running and even as I started the first failed c25k attempt, I thought all runners ran all the time and never walked on their runs. It was hard to know that was not true because I never actually saw the runners walking or the walkers running.

I have always used intervals with c25k and even after that. I have previously been in good enough condition to cover 3-4 miles, but there was always a walking component. I would usually start with 3-5 min of brisk walking and then run the rest of the first mile or so and then just kind of tried to set my own intervals or ran until I thought I needed to walk. Race-wise, I have only done about three organized 5Ks. I still do not have a race "pace" that I would call my own. I am still 50# from my lowest weight 3 years ago and another 100# beyond that from where I want to be, so there Is still great room for improvement on a lot of levels.

AQotD: Running (all indoor track) and pool work (indoors as well) went off as planned. Got w3d1 in the books yesterday and I got to run the other direction on the track for the first time in over a week. That was actually a nice change.

• StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I pretty much run at a very slow pace so I try to maintain that case. However when it is very muggy as it has been much of this summer I will intersperse a block of walking in about every mile or so. That gives me enough time to cool down so I can start again.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    2 mi (outdoors!) today with c25k w3d2. I had to run at 5:30 AM in 70 deg, 80% humidity to do it, but it was outdoors. The inclines and declines of my complex are much more noticeable after several weeks running indoors on a level, cushioned track.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Way to go, @jbrack381us!

I made it to the gym last evening and got some lifting done for the first time in 2 weeks. It's easy to see the drop off in strength from when I was lifting more regularly.

I'll be running this evening, probably not more than 3 miles.

I'm pretty sure I'm targeting this good-looking 10K as my next race, but I don't yet have a training plan worked up. I really need to do that soon as I have some hectic days coming up with travel and meetings.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Ran 3 on the TM last night. It felt really good. I am starting to see improvements in my running. We discussed HR, and walking. I managed to run a full mile, my last one even, and still kept the HR under 90%. I remember what it felt like to run an "easy 3", and not have to walk at all. It will probably still be several weeks(months) before I'm back to that spot. I'm doing much better at living where I am now, and not where I was a few years ago. I simply remember what it was like, and that motivates me to keep going.