Marathon training and weight loss

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    My bad. Not end of August. End of October lol.

Thank you

Edit - so if I put in the numbers from the spreadsheet I just wouldn't track my exercise right? Except my long run day of course cause that would be outside the norm by a lot

That's an great way to play it - like only count 1 hr of the long run in expected exercise for the week in the table.
    On the day of the run log everything over the 1 hr and eat back that day when you really need it after the workout.

and as a guy, you could get by with the 20% number even though only 20 lbs to lose.
    But if only running and no upper body resistance - suggest 15% though to preserve muscle mass - unless you really don't want extra upper body unneeded for endurance running.
    Move to 10% when down to last 10 lbs.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with losing weight. Yes I know I'm making bad choices but I have a question. Are there any people who are 175 and under who regularly track their food on mfp? The diaries I have seen from people in this range either don't track at all or are not complete. I'm just curious what these people are eating. Thanks.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm 123lbs and I track my food pretty regularly at the moment, though I'll probably stop when I get back to 118. I give myself a few days off from time to time though, e.g. If I'm travelling or visiting friends and want to just eat at maintenance or am eating lots of things I'd have to estimate rather than measuring.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with losing weight. Yes I know I'm making bad choices but I have a question. Are there any people who are 175 and under who regularly track their food on mfp? The diaries I have seen from people in this range either don't track at all or are not complete. I'm just curious what these people are eating. Thanks.

I'll bet as mileage is ramping up your LBM is increasing for a couple reasons - even while losing fat weight.

Do measurements show more progress than scale?

I normally do, but having a terrible training and eating schedule right now, so likely not eating enough. I log on the really big ride days when I know I need to eat more. The others days is so mundane and the same I already know.

But I have seen many men about our height that are going for 10-20-30 lbs and logging well.
    They seem to be lifters - so sadly different focus and different macro desires that you might not find useful.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Once I'm finished marathon training I'm going to change things up. Definitely going to be doing more cross training and trying to get into either weight lifting(if I can get somebody to teach me) or body weight stuff. I'm one dimensional right now. Even when I was at my lowest of 193 I couldn't get past that point. I was stuck there. Now I'm 25lbs heavier I'm struggling to get back under 200. My original goal of getting back to 200 by race day isn't going to happen now. I just need to start making better choices but I'm just so damn hungry all the time and those junk foods keep calling my name. I fee like the guy from new jack city. "They keep calling me man" lol
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Once I'm finished marathon training I'm going to change things up. Definitely going to be doing more cross training and trying to get into either weight lifting(if I can get somebody to teach me) or body weight stuff. I'm one dimensional right now. Even when I was at my lowest of 193 I couldn't get past that point. I was stuck there. Now I'm 25lbs heavier I'm struggling to get back under 200. My original goal of getting back to 200 by race day isn't going to happen now. I just need to start making better choices but I'm just so damn hungry all the time and those junk foods keep calling my name. I fee like the guy from new jack city. "They keep calling me man" lol

Protein and fiber. These are the keys to feeling satisfied while eating few enough calories to not gain weight. Running throws in a need for carbs, and particularly a need for electrolyte replenishment. The need for electrolytes is where a salt craving comes from, and your body knows that junk food is typically full of salt.

The cravings for junk can be somewhat diminished if you have a good electrolyte replacement strategy for running.

I know, I can go through 3000 calories of junk like it's nothing, if I let myself start. The key is not to let myself start. Post-race banana, good. Post-race bagel, okay. Post-race pizza, don't go there. It will be very hard for me to stop eating pizza.
  • litsy3
    Options
    When I finish my marathon on 2 October I'm going to eat 3000 calories of whatever I feel like (probably roast beef, roast potatoes, and a bucket of red wine) if I can fit that much in! Even though I won't have burnt that much.....
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been maintaining my race weight of 150±2 lbs for quite a while (over a year?), and before that I was maintaining around 165 lbs when I was more concentrated on weight training before I decided to drop weight to improve my running performance. I'm 5'10.5" with a 30" waist and am under 10% BF currently.

I track everything except diet drinks/water, and my diary is open. This past 2-1/2 months I've been basically barely able to walk due to a non-running related injury, but before that is pretty typical for me. I typical eat 2800 calories/day while concentrating on getting around 130-140g of protein a day and meeting my fiber and micronutrient goals. I am running 35-55 MPW depending on where I am in my training schedule.

I am brutally honest with my intake/calorie burns, and weigh everything with a food scale when I am at home. That has been key for maintaining my weight for the past 5 years. I follow a pretty flexible diet (IIFYM) and still have "junk" food in moderation. Daily.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Protein and fiber. These are the keys to feeling satisfied while eating few enough calories to not gain weight. Running throws in a need for carbs, and particularly a need for electrolyte replenishment. The need for electrolytes is where a salt craving comes from, and your body knows that junk food is typically full of salt.

The cravings for junk can be somewhat diminished if you have a good electrolyte replacement strategy for running.

I know, I can go through 3000 calories of junk like it's nothing, if I let myself start. The key is not to let myself start. Post-race banana, good. Post-race bagel, okay. Post-race pizza, don't go there. It will be very hard for me to stop eating pizza.

One thing I did was switch from whey protien powder to a casein protien powder post run. It's thicker & slower digesting and makes me feel full longer. I typically do 50g shake (260 calories) after the run and 25g (130 calories) before bed. I also use a crap-ton of NUUN tablets throughout the day. They are much less calories than drinking Gatorade or Poweraid. For Dinner, I'll try to have a large spinach salad with red/ green peppers, carrots, etc and an organic vignette dressing which is almost nothing as far as calories goes, and loaded with fiber. Then ill eat the main dish of meat, etc but i'll be full before i every want to go it for seconds.

I agree with Moby, if I get started cheating, I'll rack up 4000 calories quick for the day. Some days like my long run days that's OK, but for days I'm only getting in 6-7 miles I'll be way over. I also found that having a cheat day/meal is vital. I don't care how many calories are in that cheesecake, I'll have 2 please, ok 3 then. That helps reset the system sometimes and makes it easier to stay on track the rest of the week.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    I've been maintaining my race weight of 150±2 lbs for quite a while (over a year?), and before that I was maintaining around 165 lbs when I was more concentrated on weight training before I decided to drop weight to improve my running performance. I'm 5'10.5" with a 30" waist and am under 10% BF currently.

I track everything except diet drinks/water, and my diary is open. This past 2-1/2 months I've been basically barely able to walk due to a non-running related injury, but before that is pretty typical for me. I typical eat 2800 calories/day while concentrating on getting around 130-140g of protein a day and meeting my fiber and micronutrient goals. I am running 35-55 MPW depending on where I am in my training schedule.

I am brutally honest with my intake/calorie burns, and weigh everything with a food scale when I am at home. That has been key for maintaining my weight for the past 5 years. I follow a pretty flexible diet (IIFYM) and still have "junk" food in moderation. Daily.

Thank you
  • Robbnva
    Options
    I don't really do any protein powder at all. Should I start?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Are you hitting your protein goal? If the answer is yes, you don't need shakes.
  • litsy3
    Options
    I can't imagine wasting my calorie allowance on powdered shakes if I could have some delicious meat or chocolate milk instead. Especially when I'm restricting calories!
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after any reasonably hard workout. My diet is pretty carb-heavy, so I struggle to hit my protein macros and every little helps. I agree with litsy3 that chocolate milk is pretty much just as good, but my shake is a little easier to mix and has that little bit more protein (and it's not too expensive, either). I can't imagine eating meat after a hard workout, though!

My rule on drinking calories is, "Only drink them if you're about to use them", and that applies to pre-workout fuelling and recovery.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I know for me, and many of my running friends who are 170-190lbs, getting 170-200g of protien is difficult without supplementing a shake or two during heavy marathon training. I'm burning a minimum of 1000 calories a morning on an 8 mile run, sometimes closer to 2000 when i'm doing middle distance 14-15 milers. I have a really hard time eating anything after a morning session. Drinking some of them in the form of a protien shake helps with not only hydration but getting that much needing protien. Matt Fitzgerald's race weight cookbook has several recovery drinks that all use protien powders, fruit, electrolyte tablets, etc. I'll generally get 400-500 calories with one of those immediately after the workout then about and hour later finally be able to eat something solid for breakfast.

If you can meet your protien goal without shakes it's obviously best, but i've found shakes give me more latitude with the rest of my diet since I can get 75g for less than 400 calories.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining in the low to mid 160s, with maintenance calories of 3000 to 3400 depending on where I am in the training cycle. I eat back fewer calories than Garmin says I burn, because I can't handle a super wide variance in consumption between a long run day and a rest day; so my base calories have some of the running built in. I ignore MFP's calculation of how much I should eat and manage the calories to make my weight trend sideways. The scale will tell me if I've made a mistake in one direction or the other.

I find that I'm satisfied with 150g of protein in a day, and I don't worry if it goes to 170 or 190. I don't think I've ever seen it hit 200g. I don't do protein shakes. My go-to sources of lean protein are baked chicken breast, low fat cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt. I also have more eggs in my diet than the common weight loss advice would allow, but in addition to the protein the eggs give me some fat grams when I might otherwise come in too low on fat. But fat doesn't do anything for satiety, and protein does.

My understanding of protein shakes is that they're useful for people who need to hit very high protein targets while restricting total calories. I've tried them, and not found them particularly satiating; so I don't do them as long as I can get enough protein from real food.
  • litsy3
    Options
    I have a protein shake after any reasonably hard workout. My diet is pretty carb-heavy, so I struggle to hit my protein macros and every little helps. I agree with litsy3 that chocolate milk is pretty much just as good, but my shake is a little easier to mix and has that little bit more protein (and it's not too expensive, either). I can't imagine eating meat after a hard workout, though!

My rule on drinking calories is, "Only drink them if you're about to use them", and that applies to pre-workout fuelling and recovery.

Well, I meant the meat was more in my diet in general for my protein goal, not straight after the workout. But I would happily eat a full Scottish breakfast straight after a 20-mile run. :)

I only aim for about 90g of protein per day, being small, so I can see that it's easier for me.

My rule on drinking calories is 'only if it's actually delicious'. I happily drink wine and gin though, which have no nutritional value but seem worthwhile to me.
  • Robbnva
    Options

Are you hitting your protein goal? If the answer is yes, you don't need shakes.

I don't really have a protein goal. I know I get more than enough throughout the day but I don't really keep track of if I hit a certain number of grams of protein. Never have really.
  • The_Enginerd
    edited September 2016
    Options
    "litsy3 wrote: »
    I have a protein shake My rule on drinking calories is 'only if it's actually delicious'. I happily drink wine and gin though, which have no nutritional value but seem worthwhile to me.
    Mental health is important :wink:
  • The_Enginerd
    Options
    In terms of protein, a meta-analysis of studies points to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of LEAN body mass (LBM) being sufficient. Most folks go for 1 g/lb of LBM, which isn't harmful but not really necessary unless you are already lean and cutting weight. Plus, with protein being satiating, some find it helpful. Going for 1g/lb of weight is another common shortcut, but not necessary. Not harmful, but not necessary, and I wouldn't bother with protein shakes to try to get to that amount. The 0.8 gram/lb of LBM already has a safety factor.

For me, at 150 lbs and ~10% body fat, this would be around 108 grams/day. I get 130 pretty easily without any protein shakes/bars. Having concentrated on weight training for a couple of years before I started getting serious with running, I was already used to eating a pretty high protein diet.