Where's my menstrual cycle?

Options
amyhoss
amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
Could Keto cause me to skip my cycle? I've only been eating this way for about 2 1/2 weeks. My cycles are usually longer, like 33-35 days but I'm on day 45 right now. And, no, I'm not pregnant. I can't think of anything else that's changed.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Eating fat has a profound effect on all hormones. It does tend to affect people differently. But, not to worry as it's typically just an adjustment that's part of overall healing and better health.
    It's probably more common to have them more frequently but I'm sure it can go either way. It will level out in time.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's also the use of stored body fat... the idea that it releases toxins and hormones that may have been stored in it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yep for sure, my first cycle while keto was much longer but regulated near perfect after that.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I just googled 'ketosis and menstruation'. Numerous articles came up. You might want to Google and peruse some for your piece of mind.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    I wish mine would go away.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options

That was me! I had a period that lasted for 8 weeks. OB had me do an MRI and biopsy. Turns out it was just my change in diet - I didn't know of anyone who I could ask. I've been Keto for 2 years now and all is well.
  • Laurashar34
    Laurashar34 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    amyhoss wrote: »
    Could Keto cause me to skip my cycle? I've only been eating this way for about 2 1/2 weeks. My cycles are usually longer, like 33-35 days but I'm on day 45 right now. And, no, I'm not pregnant. I can't think of anything else that's changed.

I completely missed my first two periods when I started this WOE. Now (five months in) I'm back to my usual cycle
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

haha me too!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

haha me too!

Me three!!!! I'm waiting for my uterus to get it's *kitten* together... Perimenopause+ ketosis=twelve day periods....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

haha me too!

Me three!!!! I'm waiting for my uterus to get it's *kitten* together... Perimenopause+ ketosis=twelve day periods....

I have that too. Doesn't that frickin suck?
    For awhile, my cycles were 24-26 days... arghhhhh.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Every time I start eating keto my first or second period are VERY late. 2-3 weeks late. I have never done keto for long enough stretches of time to see what it would do on the third or fourth month. But it's really annoying because in the whole 2-3 weeks that it's late I'm still very crampy and have all of the symptoms of menstrual cycle just no bleeding.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    How do I sign up for this side effect?

For those of you with extended menstruation, taking raspberry leaf every day will help with that.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've always been naturally every 2 or 3 months since I was 11 (been checked out more times than I can count, all normal). Unfortunately, when I was about 40 my cycle changed to every 35 days, bummer! Don't know why. But in the past 4 yrs or so it's back to every 3 months. So LCHF brought it back to my normal, maybe?? Just waiting to be done with all this crap. I'll probably be unlucky to have it until I'm 65, lol.