uh oh

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
I just discovered the magic which is home made sour cream with pork rinds dipped in. I kept seeing so many people talking about it on Facebook I finally decided to hold my breath and try it. 1) Mission pork rinds don't stink as much as fresh chicharron to me, I actually got them past my nose without ill events; and 2) I have SO missed that crunch.

This has the potential to go badly for me... LOL

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh sounds lush!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    pork rinds are good with so many things! Guacamole is my favorite :)
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about pork rinds. Would anyone here know if they are the equivalent to Brits pork scratchings?
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about pork rinds. Would anyone here know if they are the equivalent to Brits pork scratchings?

According to Wikipedia, yes, pork rinds = pork scratchings. Here's a link to the article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind#United_Kingdom
  • freckles2002
    Options
    Thanks janettles. That's cleared that one up!
  • aserrano79
    aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree not all pork rinds are created equal! I can't wait to try the ones you can microwave yourself!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I love pork rinds as much as potato chips, pretzels, tortilla chips, popcorn, etc and unfortunately tend to eat them in the same mindless, obsessive, shovel them into my mouth fashion. The homemade sour cream is intriguing though!
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Never occurred to me to try making homemade sour cream. Had to google it :| and was surprised to see how easy it is. Cant wait to give it a try. Thanks for the idea @Phrick.

found this...easy peasy
    http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-easy-homemade-buttermilk-sour-cream-creme-fraiche-0151834/
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Never occurred to me to try making homemade sour cream. Had to google it :| and was surprised to see how easy it is. Cant wait to give it a try. Thanks for the idea @Phrick.

found this...easy peasy
    http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-easy-homemade-buttermilk-sour-cream-creme-fraiche-0151834/

That's the same recipe I found and used, @NonnaTurtle - it's easy but because there aren't any stabilizers it is a bit more runny than store-bought. But amazing. I just made 1/3 cup to start and quickly had to make more LOL. I wanted to make it myself because all the affordable store ones have carrageenan which I'm trying to avoid.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    homemade sour cream - that is a GOOD tip!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oh my!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Hi @freckles2002 unfortunately they're not exactly the same. Its the same raw ingredients used, but the preparation is usually a bit different. Most pork scratchings in the UK are incredibly dense, requiring your teeth to work really hard to break through (like corn nuts). Pork rinds in America have a density similar to a rice cake, the pork skin has basically been puffed up with lots of air bubbles in it. Many keto recipes call for smashing up pork rinds and using them as breading, that won't work with most of our pork scratchings here. The only brand I've found that's like the American ones is from The Snaffling Pig.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Sounds like UK scratchings may be more similar to US cracklins (cracklings). One could break their teeth on most cracklins i have tried.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Hi @freckles2002 unfortunately they're not exactly the same. Its the same raw ingredients used, but the preparation is usually a bit different. Most pork scratchings in the UK are incredibly dense, requiring your teeth to work really hard to break through (like corn nuts). Pork rinds in America have a density similar to a rice cake, the pork skin has basically been puffed up with lots of air bubbles in it. Many keto recipes call for smashing up pork rinds and using them as breading, that won't work with most of our pork scratchings here. The only brand I've found that's like the American ones is from The Snaffling Pig.

Here in the uk US style pork rinds are called pork crunch. They're fairly widely available, mr porky do good pork crunch which I've found in sainsburys and garages. They're like big pork quavers.
  • freckles2002
    Options
    Thanks. I will look out for those brands you have mentioned. Where would I find the snaffling pig ones? Love the name btw!