Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Restart LC, count calories?

Jdkbs
Jdkbs Posts: 98 Member
Hi guys,

I am restarting LC yet again. I hope that I have finally realized that this is a lifestyle and not give up after first slip up.

How many here count calories along with LC?
Right from the start or later?

Replies

• option3girl
    option3girl Posts: 166 Member
    I count my macros. I look at the calories, but I'm not that concerned about them.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I look at my macros and my calories, only because I need to lose weight, saying that. Most days I am under (I do have the days over too) and over the week, I generally hit both my macro's and my calorie goal without feeling hungry at all.
  • JTyler2016
    JTyler2016 Posts: 34 Member
    I also try to hit my macros versus strictly counting calories, namely protein and making sure my net carbs don't run away on me. I usually have a bulletproof coffee in the morning or something with a shot of MCT oil in it a little before working out on those days, so I don't worry about fat too much once I'm good and well into ketosis... my body can feel free to use what I've got stored already lol.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    I'm with Bonny, I count both calories and macros.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    At first I wasn't counting calories, just macros. But I wasn't losing after a bit, so I started watching the calories too, and now I'm losing again. It really helps me when I up my fat intake. I'm usually under 20 grams of carbs a day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I counted calories for weight loss (5/19/13 through 5/25/14).
    I count calories for weight maintenance (5/25/14 to present).
    Now I also closely monitor (count) macros for a ketogenic diet (4/3/2016 to present).
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    If I don't count calories I gain weight regardless of how my macros balance. But what happens to me may not happen to anyone else. I am very upset with myself today because I spent all weekend eating like crazy (always under my carbs but who knows how many cals I ate and I'm crazy frustrated that I slipped because I know the scale consequences...
  • atlathemis
    atlathemis Posts: 18 Member
    I was just watching carbs and then I stopped losing weight. So I started watching calories too and started losing again. I'm hoping to go through a few weeks of measuring everything and then just be able to "eye-ball" serving sizes after awhile.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    atlathemis wrote: »
    I was just watching carbs and then I stopped losing weight. So I started watching calories too and started losing again. I'm hoping to go through a few weeks of measuring everything and then just be able to "eye-ball" serving sizes after awhile.

A perfect plan (perhaps with an occasional random spot check to calibrate your eye ball).
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    I count calories and macros both. Weight comes off slowly for me and if I don't watch the calories, weight loss will stall or reverse.

@Roseygirl1, you might find this article interesting since you got the prediabetic warning at your last physician visit.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/02/15/how-to-use-your-glucose-meter-as-a-fuel-gauge/

This is something I added to my plan (but I've been at it for a couple of months now). My numbers are very nearly out of the prediabetic range, and I was actually just shy of a diabetic dx in December (147 fbs with 6.5 A1c).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    suzqtme wrote: »
    I count calories and macros both. Weight comes off slowly for me and if I don't watch the calories, weight loss will stall or reverse.

@Roseygirl1, you might find this article interesting since you got the prediabetic warning at your last physician visit.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/02/15/how-to-use-your-glucose-meter-as-a-fuel-gauge/

This is something I added to my plan (but I've been at it for a couple of months now). My numbers are very nearly out of the prediabetic range, and I was actually just shy of a diabetic dx in December (147 fbs with 6.5 A1c).

Great suggestion. Do you pretty much follow the eat/don't eat protocol in the article you cited?

Sounds like you should be able to dodge that dreaded diabetes dx!
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Suzqtme, that is one fascinating website. Thank you!
  • auroralaura69
    auroralaura69 Posts: 15 Member
    I lost lots of weight before using LCHF but this time it didn't seem to work! So I tried to keep my calories down too (about 1100-1200) and it is working again!!! I read an article once about only getting the "Sweet Spot" of low carb the first time... It said every time you do it, it works less. Not sure if it's true but changing it up is working for me!
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    Suzqtme, using a blood glucose meter as a fuel guage is such in interesting concept. I'm familiar with intermittent fasting, but not using a meter to determine when you should eat your next meal. I'm at the point where I find myself eating a meal just because it's mealtime even though I'm not really hungry. I may give this a try and see what happens.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    I log my food so I see my calories but I don't particularly count them. I lost 50lbs over 5 months previously without counting and as a fairly small (5'2") woman I definitely often eat more than MFP tells me I should while losing regularly. Some days I'm not very hungry or my CFS is bad so I sleep all day and ignore food and eat under 1200 calories. Other days I might be out and about needing fuel and eat 2000. It seems to balance out. I do find that if I eat too little for too long my losses stall, and also if I eat too much of certain foods eg peanut butter it seems to stall me too - I think if I was eating 2000 cal a day all the time it might be too much but I think I even out between 1500 and 1800 over most weeks.

I also find strict calorie counting makes me too obsessive and leaves me feeling stressed and guilty if I go over calories which isn't conducive to loss, personally.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I am anti-counting calories. But, this is a calorie counting website/app, so I understand that arguing this point will be a losing battle for me. There are threads in the Launchpad where we tried to list the pros and cons of why people should or shouldn't count.