Preop and new here

Options
Hey y'all!

I'm going for my last pre-req appointment tuesday and am thinking things are getting real! im having bypass hopefully sometime in the next 60 days! i weigh about 299 currently. 5'5" and 34 years old. im an active fun healthy person trapped in this fat girls body. :( i kayak, bike, hike, swim, run, crochet, knit, dye my own yarn, and run a community garden. i have lost weight before but, never sustained and always gain back more than i lost.

im so looking forward to being a regular person again.

i have been on the hunt for the perfect protein shake. i love the inspore shakes but, have some issues with the company tactics so i am trying to avoid them. beyond tjose, the premier protein and the eas advantEDGE are my faves! any suggestions?

thanks for listening!

feel free to friend me!

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I know where you're coming from; even though I've always been on the solid side of things, I was fat but fit and active until the last few years when health problems caught up with me.

I used Bariatric Advantage for my pre-op and post-op. Now I like Syntrax Matrix best; Peanut Butter Cookie and Mint Cookie. Quest Salted Caramel is tasty. They are all too sweet for me as is...I add cocoa powder or peanut butter powder to cut the sweetness.

Some of the Syntrax Nectar flavors are tasty too...I liked the Pink Grapefruit and Fuzzy Navel.

If you don't have one already, get a digital scale. Weighing your powder will give you the best yield and the most consistent results.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also have been in the same boat as you. Curious to hear what your experience with the Inspire shakes have even because I order them too. I LOvE Chike - especially the coffee ones (with real coffee). Click coffee protein is good too but I find I get jittery from them - I always drink decaf but even their decaf is too strong for me

Try Eat The Bear shakes - the owner of the company works at the same place as me but they are fabulous! Good luck!!!
  • Bluemajestic
    Bluemajestic Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a huge fan of the premade Premier Protein shakes.
  • MyFitnessFriend1
    Options
    Yes, Premier Protein Shakes and BiPro, BiPro even has food recipes for people who have had weightloss surgery!!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i am probably gonna stick to the eas advantEDGE and the premier. red okum has a $3 off premier ready made 4 packs right now making them about 3.50$ a pack. and....i found a caramep flavor that is to dye for.
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just watch the Premier Protein pre-made drinks, recently was told my by nutritionist that we only absorb aprox 12 of the 30 grams, being that the protein comes from Whey CONCENTRATE vs Whey ISOLATE (which is more absorbable apparently). :) They are still great tho, even at 12 grams of protein & 160 cals w. low sugar/carbs, diff to find a shake w/those stats that actually taste good, and premier actually tastes good!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just watch the Premier Protein pre-made drinks, recently was told my by nutritionist that we only absorb aprox 12 of the 30 grams, being that the protein comes from Whey CONCENTRATE vs Whey ISOLATE (which is more absorbable apparently). :) They are still great tho, even at 12 grams of protein & 160 cals w. low sugar/carbs, diff to find a shake w/those stats that actually taste good, and premier actually tastes good!

interesting. i just met woth her yesterday and mentioned the ones i like and they are all on her approved list. she does, however, prefer to lean on real food post op and has very low goal numbers. 45-60 grams of protein daily.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was a huge fan of GNC's LeanShake 25 pre-op. Very filling and great flavors. After surgery, my bari center recommended a switch to something made with isolates, instead of concentrate (better absorption for our stomachs).
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @iamstaceywood , yeah it is interesting how each facility has approved lists or preferred foods. My nutritionist said it is a good shake w/o question, just not to rely on actually getting the full 30g Protein, to estimate around 12. So I just made a diary input and made note that it is the WLS version and changed Protein for myself. I agree with the eating food for protein rather than drinking them, typically she prefers we only use 1 if we need extra protein. My Protein goal is 90 grams daily.

Funny how we are all on the same path, just being guided a bit differently :)

EDIT: I had RNY 2006, I am not sure if sleeve, switch etc absorb diff.
  • nimietyisnotenough
    Options
    Hey there, and welcome! I'll rep my protein brand, since I don't see it posted about here: I use Bluebonnet original flavor powder, which is a very light vanilla flavor, barely sweet. It's very high quality (whey isolate), and great for those of us who have a hard time with artificial flavorings and sweeteners, which I do.
  • asongforholly
    asongforholly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I second the syntrax line(s). They're my favorite. I find quest protein gets too foamy for a shake, but I bake with it.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I love Eat the Bear (www.etbfir.com), Bariatric Eating's Believe and Inspire lines, Chike and Click. I love how Chike and Click have coffee shakes that use real coffee! Click had a decaf version but the owner told me she is discontinuing the decaf.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use the Premier Protein premade drinks. Post-op, I can't stomach more than a half at a time as anything sweet tasting has become repulsive to me. So I usually drink a half in the morning with my morning vitamins and then the second half I drink around 7PM.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Realized ETB site was wrong it is www.etbfit.com. If you want to check out Click, here is my ambassador site link. I really like their stuff :)

http://click-espresso-protein-drink.myshopify.com?rfsn=331394.3c2f0