GoaD on the Run - Weekday edition - 9/12/16

Options
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

QotD: Running weather - What is your preferred weather temps for getting outside for a run? Any temps too hot or too cold?

Alt: your weekend running. How did your plan go?

Replies

• shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

QOTD: Ideal for me is about 60 degrees, low humidity, sunny. There is not really too cold, but I don't like running in snow/ice. I also don't like high humidity. Anything above 65 degrees dew point is no Bueno. I ran a couple of times this summer when the dew point was at 70 or above, and it was just brutal.

AQOTD: I didn't get my long run in this weekend, and I think I feel good about that. My left calf/Achilles was really bothering me after Friday night's run. It feels much better today, so I plan to run tonight. I think that if I had run yesterday, it might have set me back, rather than help me forward.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love running at about 50 degrees on a sunny day. Getting out in cold weather is always tough, but always feels good once I get going. Heat + humidity is definitely the worst in my book.

Alt: Got out for a trail run/hike in Shawnee Nat'l forest. 3.6 miles in the Little Grand Canyon. It was great!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm at the beginning of two hectic weeks at work. I will feel good if I can continue to get three short runs in per week, with weekly distance in the 10 to 12 mile range.

Great, fun 4 mile loop on Sunday around a nearby lake on quiet, rolling streets. I topped it off with a hour or so on the bike late afternoon, just to make the most of the lovely day.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    50 degrees or less is better for me. Sun makes the really cold days feel warmer. I don't like to run in rain, but if it happens during a race, I'll suck it up and still show up. For snow/ice, there are my microspikes or snowshoes.

I've run in temps just below zero which turned out to be delightful days since they were sunny. I make a lot of heat (not a lot of speed) so I'm good. I've pretty much accumulated enough collection of gear to handle most anything.

I posted yesterday about my 1/2 marathon that turned into a brisk walk thanks to discovering the summer equivalent of black ice while riding my bike on Saturday. Newer sealcoat + light rain = just as slick as black ice.

I have no idea when I'll be even able to think about running this week. My right hip flexor is still problematic from the fall. Hopefully I'll be able to run some on Saturday when I have a trail marathon I'm doing with a friend. We have a 7 hour cutoff. I was hoping to shoot for 6 hours but I've put that goal aside and am just hoping to get through the day and have fun.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 967 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm a fair-weather runner. I won't run outside above 75 degrees or below about 38. I don't mind running on a TM so it works for me.

10 miles yesterday. Still training for a half in October. I took a number of walking breaks and need to clean that up before the race.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The temperature does not make as much difference to me as does humidity. We had a very hot and humid summer and I found it very difficult to run continuously with consistency. However, I found that occasional lock brakes did allow me to finish any scheduled to run I want it to do. As long as I finish the distance I don't really care much about the pace.

In general, Fall is my favorite season for running because of the low temperatures, low humidity and beautiful Fall colors.
  • shenry111
    Options
    Good Morning! Ran 2 on the TM last night. I used compression sleeves on my calf, and not feeling too bad this morning! I have just a little tightness in my left Achilles. Still making progress. I've also lost 8.2 pounds since switching from WW to MFP.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    2 mi outdoors yesterday AM. 57 deg in the dark felt cool until I started moving.

I have not run outside in less than 29 deg. Really not looking to run in weather above mid -70s either. I have the option of an indoor track, so that really helps during the more extreme his/los. Agree wirh others about 50-60 for a great outdoor temp.
  • shenry111
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here's something fun. Go to tickerfactory.com. Copy and paste the bbc code to get it to look right here.

exercise.png
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree about ideal temp around 50 deg.. I've been doing this for awhile and with marathon training we go out pretty much regardless of the weather. So I've run in -20f up to mid 90s. Obviously running when it's 50 is way more fun.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    We're having kind of an October-preview day today. It's 62 and sunny here at mid-day. Looking forward to a pleasant run this evening.