Diet on a budget

Thought I'd share this because I found it really useful.

This website gives you a four week diet plan that won't break the bank. (Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the weekly plans under the section heading 'Diet on a Budget Plan').

I substituted fresh veg for some of the frozen suggestions but otherwise the nutrition has really been worked out well and it didn't feel like I had to become a 5 star chef or spend lots of money to eat healthily.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/plans/budget-diet.htm

Would be grateful if anyone else found any useful budget recipes to share them too.

Replies

• SkyMaiden007
    SkyMaiden007 Posts: 25 Member
    thank you!!
  • Prior to setting a monthly meal plan, I had been spending between $170-$220 a week for 2 adults. We only had a small fridge freezer so couldn't stock up alot. I bought a small upright freezer and this month our groceries came to $134.60 for lunch, dinner and dessert. We already had plenty of cereal, and snacks on hand.
    I don't have recipes as I just wing it and they're straightforward. Our requirements are low carb and low sodium. I'm on 1200 calories. Just thought I'd share mine...

Week 1 and 3

M: Pumpkin soup, garlic bread roll
    Pork tenderloin, spuds, beans & greens
    Fruit salad & yoghurt

T: Vege curry
    Lambs fry with bacon, mashed sweet potato and brocolli
    Homemade peanut butter fudge

W: Egg sandwiches
    Beef stir fry on rice
    Apple pie and ice cream

T: Sweet potato, green bean & quinoa salad
    Pork fried rice
    Peaches and yoghurt

F: Chicken and sweet corn soup
    Home made beef burgers & chips
    Homemade Peanut butter fudge

Week 2 & 4

M: Country beef soup, bread roll
    Lemon Chicken breast, mashed sweet potato & greens
    Fruit salad & yoghurt

T: Vege frittata
    Steak, garlicky mashed potatoes & veg
    Homemade peanut butter fudge

W: Fish, sweet potato, green bean & quinoa salad
    Lamb curry on rice
    Fruit salad

T: Spaghetti bolognese on zucchini pasta
    Honey chicken stir fry
    Homemade banana & walnut bread, fruit salad and custard

F: Caesar salad
    Homemade fish and chips
    Lemon meringue

I bulk cook and freeze alot of our meals, so weekends are a 'choose your own'.
    Sticking to the meal plan will be the hard part.

• MichaelfromNE1
    MichaelfromNE1 Posts: 16 Member
    Sounds like great plan. I try to buy my poultry and seafood fresh and whole. I freeze them and make my own broths and soups with the bones/etc. Also use the leftovers for casseroles and salads or open faced sandwiches. You can save a bundle on salad dressings alone and homemade is always better. Same is true with pancake and muffins/quick-breads. Homemade bread is not cheaper but it tastes fresher and is more wholesome and satisfying. My personal garden is my produce center. I also grow herbs and dry them when the season is over. If you grow from seeds the garden is cheap and the exercise of weed pulling and tending is enjoyable and shareable moments with children or grandchildren. Also it is organic. There is nothing like fresh from the garden for flavor and savings.
    I plan the week with a main roast on Sunday and always cook extra for leftovers . Its easy to throw the bones in water and make a broth that day and freeze or refrigerate it for later soups and sauces.
    It is cheaper and easy to make your own yogurt too. Flavor it with vanilla or fruit for the kids and keep some plain for cooking. One small container of yogurt can be stretched with your own milk to as much as you want to make. I always make it lowfat. The kids can't tell.