New in here

Options
Hi all im Mandy, 44 in the Uk,im a newbie in this group and new to lc... im still trying to get my head round it all after years of various other diets... think i have pretty much tried them all... cico was the main winner for me I think but I need to change it up... I got back to eating rubbish..I havent weighed for about 2 months .. I have been like a mad eating machine... I have been trying lc for the past week and have to say I am feeling better already.. If any one has any pointers to help it would be great and im not really sure on the macro side of thing what I should be doing ? I was kinda following atkins last week but not strict. Hopefully I can help support you all ... looking forward to getting to know you all and the lc way of life xx

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy! Welcome to the group, and to lc!

The Launch Pad, located at the top of the group forum page, is a wonderful resource for learning this way of eating! There are a couple of macro calculators linked there too to assist in figuring your macros based on the goals you have for yourself. Here is one of them : http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

You will find that there is a varied range to low carb eating. Ultimately carbs at 150 gm per day, or less, is considered low carb. Finding the range that works best for you, and makes you want to repeat each day, is key! Another thing you want to read is the sticky on electrolytes when eating this way! The "feel good" part can go away, leaving some awful symptoms that can make someone believe they need carbs to feel better, when that isn't true. Keeping them in check will continue those good feelings!

I have found this woe to be the easiest I've ever attempted (after getting past the learning curve!), and is the way I choose to eat for life! I look forward to watching your success! :smiley:
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy!
    Welcome to the group. I'd also ask what your overall goal is? If it's just to lose weight and you have no underlying health issues low carb is wonderful. if you do have health issues such as diabetes or immune system issues I'd point you directly towards to Keto part of the spectrum here (50g or less daily). It does amazing things for so many people. The success stories of reversing diabetes and people no longer suffering from years of pain is jaw dropping to say the least!
  • KetoGirl_ZC
    KetoGirl_ZC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mandy! Good luck achieving your goals!

::flowerforyou::
  • Got2lose43
    Got2lose43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome..I will have a good read....I am wanting to lose about 28lb to start ,In the past I have lost over 140lb but I keep putting on and losing about 30/40lb... I need to find something I can be happy with once I reach my goal rather than think ok I have lost it now eat what you want ..I was diet controlled diabetic but now im ok thanks to weight loss and I never want it back again hence why its important for me to find my happy place... hopefully lc :)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Welcome welcome welcome!!!! :trollface: (no I'm not a troll, but I LOVE that face , Lol)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mandy
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! There's tons of great info here. Glad you've joined us!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Mandy. :smiley: Congrats on the loss you've maintained!

In the LP (the LaunchPad) check out the General FAQs first:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348406/faqs-and-general-lc-info?new=1

Then head over and check out all the open threads we have pinned to find topics of interest to you that you have been wondering about:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10423197/open-threads-member-threads-on-low-carb-topics#latest
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, too. Also trying to manage metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes. Very inspiring, your getting your blood sugar under control with weight loss!
  • Got2lose43
    Got2lose43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for such a lovely welcome everyone :)
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Mandy. You will find this to be a wonderfully supportive group. So glad I found it, too!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Got2lose43 wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome..I will have a good read....I am wanting to lose about 28lb to start ,In the past I have lost over 140lb but I keep putting on and losing about 30/40lb... I need to find something I can be happy with once I reach my goal rather than think ok I have lost it now eat what you want ..I was diet controlled diabetic but now im ok thanks to weight loss and I never want it back again hence why its important for me to find my happy place... hopefully lc :)

Wow! In the scheme of things I think you have done great at MAINTENANCE. Kudos to you for always getting back on track and losing before the weight gain got really out of hand. Rock star!!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy, welcome to the group and enjoy your time here :) Atkins/Keto/Low carb are all fairly similar with just different restrictions around carbs. You'll find loads of resources and everyone here will help you if you get stuck.