Effect on hormones

Options
Cadori
Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
I can't seem to search the group, so please forgive my newbie question...especially if it's asked all the time.

What (if any) effects have you noticed on your cycle, PMS specifically? I don't have PCOS, but figured if LCHF/Keto can help that then there's probably an impact on someone with a "normal" cycle as well.

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS and had a steady cycle before eating LCHF and losing a lot of weight. The first 3 months (during which time I lost nearly 50 lbs) my hormones were a mess, my ToM turned into a ToW, it was constantly stopping and starting. My body was going through massive changes though, so I just rolled with it. Things have been fine ever since until about a month ago when things went haywire again, but it's since evened out again.

The hormonal, ToM issue was one of the reasons I gave up eating LCHF before as it really freaked me out. im so glad i tried it again and toughed it out. Im down 90lbs now and have no regrets.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My wife said after I was Keto for a few months that I was not as mean as when I was on high processed carbs. :) Getting good pain management from Keto was part but I expect it helped my hormones in general as well.

People new to Keto as @PaleoInScotland points out KETO can get weird especially during the first 90 - 180 days in my experience as an old guy (65 now). Others on MFP had pointed this out already so it helped me power through the weirdness phase

My cholesterol jumped up nearly 200 points after the first year but last month after 2 Keto years it was back within a normal range.

Keto is a normal way of eating for humans but I did not do it for my first 63 years so my body took a couple years to adjust to ketones/fats vs mainly only glucose/carbs for fuel.

Best of success.
  • Cadori
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll save the details but before keto I was a disaster on shark week. You name the symptom, I had it. Since keto I find that time to be a breeze; I get very few PMS symptoms now.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I don't think it had any effect on my cycle, not that I noticed anyway. There's stories on Reddit in /r/xxketo where it affected some people and they just toughed it out for a few months while their bodies adjusted, IIRC.

Daily weighing gives me a heads up though when shark weeks about to hit. A 1-2lb fluctuation every day is normal for me. If I gain 3-4lbs in a day of water weight that's a hint that somethings about to hit me. Any more than that and I'd be running for a pregnancy test, lol.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I know when I 1st started KETO my husband said I was even nastier than usual (hormones in a turmoil I think) but things levelled off and now I am happy ALL the time which I never was before this WOE as I would get pretty hangry every few hours.
  • Cadori
    Options
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    I know when I 1st started KETO my husband said I was even nastier than usual (hormones in a turmoil I think) but things levelled off and now I am happy ALL the time which I never was before this WOE as I would get pretty hangry every few hours.

I intentionally started right after my period so that I would have a couple weeks to ease in without PMS rearing its ugly head. I've been a bit more emotional/weepy which for me is usually a sign of my period starting the next day.

I am LOVING the energy and lack of sugar crash/being hangry.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I did have some of the worst hot flashes (probably some "Keto flu" symptoms too!) while getting adapted 19 months ago. As long as I take my estrogen I don't have any other problems with hormones, now. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    I know when I 1st started KETO my husband said I was even nastier than usual....

Now that you're happy..... uh, just how nasty were you (allegedly)?

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Switching over to a keto lifestyle a couple of years ago completely normalized my cycles for the first time in my entire life.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I still want to eat All The Things a few days before my cycle begins, and I'm more likely to rationalize carbs and experience carb creep. I am not sure if LCHF has influenced my cycle because I got a Mirena a few months in, and that definitely has.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    RalfLott - nasty is in the eye of the beholder #wink #wink
  • pineridgepantry
    Options
    I'm fairly young, IMO, to experience hot flashes but I have been experiencing them as well. I do have PCOS-IR, Hashi's, and the list goes on so I know this is having an impact on my hormones. My thought is that long term it will be extremely beneficial but my body may have some ups and downs the first few months...
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm perimenopausal so I have all kinds of goofy *kitten* going on. Like twelve days of no merriment, if you get my drift. I'm sick of my own uterus and it's *kitten*. Anyway, I've noticed no change in the lady parts department, but I'm much less a *kitten* these days....
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My uterus got voted off the island but I still have both overies. I just mentioned my insatiable hunger at times and someone pointed out it could still be pms and I did used to be ravenous before. Just my two cents is all
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hoping this WOE "cures" my problems too. My ladytime has been all over the place since it started. It never evened out. One month it's 2 weeks long. The next, 3 days, then I skip 2 months. Then it's for a week again. All at random times.

I started taking BC to regulate it. And came off it recently. It's still fairly consistent, although not quite like with BC.