Fasting!! What are the benifits?

Options
So I'm on a Keto diet and I mostly have my last meal at between 4 pm and 6pm. But is this healthy? I've read that fasting for more then 16hours is beneficial for your body and many other biological factors within the body..
What are your views on this?

Replies

• collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear this also. My wife gets off work late and we eat supper most nights around 6:00 or 7:00. Wish it was earlier, but we enjoy our meals together.
  • CathyYes
    CathyYes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear from others that do fast what their experience is with intermittent fasting.
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I intermittent fast during the work week - 20 hours fasting 4 hours of eating. I don't eat until 7-8 at night. Works great for me. I also workout during the day - no issues. I just feel better when I eat this way. The 5 small meals a day killed me I was always hangry and ate tons more calories than I do with IF. I get concerned with not eating enough calories but I feel good dropped a size etc... I don't weigh myself so I have no hard data
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I do IF I eat between 12.30 and 8 only.

I have never been a breakfast person. If I eat too early I set myself up to stuff myself all day long. I have always been this way. So because I am not hungry in the morning this works out perfectly for me. I am never hungry. I am comfortable full at all times, meeting my macro's without the need to snack.

I feel in total control over my food intake and as I save calories from breakfast, my lunch and dinner is extra yummy.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I used to IF religiously a few years back, but I found my period stopped. Granted, I was on birth control pills and I found out I had PCOS a year later. But...is it coincidence? Who knows?
    I found several articles stating while IF works great for men, the hormonal effects on women is more complicated.
    I've heard it's beneficial for women to only do 16:8 fasts and no longer, or hacking the fasted state with BPC, etc.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/a-womans-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/a-bad-combination-for-women-intermittent-fasting-and-paleo/

http://www.eatstopeat.org/intermittent-fasting-for-women-what-results-you-can-expect/

The last link Mark Pilon explains it's beneficial for women to fast. But he doesn't go into depth about hormones.
  • CathyYes
    Options
    I intermittent fast during the work week - 20 hours fasting 4 hours of eating. I don't eat until 7-8 at night. Works great for me. I also workout during the day - no issues. I just feel better when I eat this way. The 5 small meals a day killed me I was always hangry and ate tons more calories than I do with IF. I get concerned with not eating enough calories but I feel good dropped a size etc... I don't weigh myself so I have no hard data

ksullivan2050 thank you for sharing your experience.
  • CathyYes
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I do IF I eat between 12.30 and 8 only.

I have never been a breakfast person. If I eat too early I set myself up to stuff myself all day long. I have always been this way. So because I am not hungry in the morning this works out perfectly for me. I am never hungry. I am comfortable full at all times, meeting my macro's without the need to snack.

I feel in total control over my food intake and as I save calories from breakfast, my lunch and dinner is extra yummy.

Bonny132, I too have never been a breakfast person. I think this just might work for me. I do find if I eat breakfast then I always want food. But when I get busy and don't eat until later I don't tend to eat all day.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you to just follow the signs from your body. Some people need breakfast and/or snacks during the day, some of us do not. I eat when I am hungry, and that is usually between lunch and 8pm. I am rarely hungry before then, only if I did not eat well the evening before.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I do on and off. About half of the week I don't eat until about 3pm. On other days I stop eating at dinner.... That one is tougher for me. I enjoy snacking in the evening. I don't need it, but I like it.

Benefits may be not having to cook, possibly lowered calorie levels (if you don't add more to when you do eat), and it can help with insulin resistance.