Question for the carnivores in the group

Options
For those of you that eat mainly meat, do you take a multivitamin?

I've been wondering because I just started Whole30, and almost immediately I find myself gravitating towards being a carnivore and away from vegetables (which I never really liked anyway and only made palatable with massive amounts of cheese). I feel like this is something I can do long-term, but will I be missing out on any nutrients? Should I add any supplements in?

TIA.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I take just a basic multivitamin. Even with that and all the meat I eat, I have been surprised that, according to the MFP app, I still fall short on iron and calcium. Almond milk helps with the calcium. Spinach helps with the iron. You will also end up light on magnesium and potassium if you go all out on just meat without some type of supplement.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I can tell you my own experience. I take a simple daily mulit-vitamin and have been for years. But it's not because I'm terribly deficient it's just a habit. I'm 47 yrs old and have NEVER enjoyed eating vegetables. In my entire adult life I would say that my veg intake could best be described as minimal. By food guideline standards I've been waaaaay under eating veg for decades with no ill health impacts. I started LCHF in Oct of last year and have lost over 90lbs. All my blood work and vitals are excellent. My doctor is very happy. I feel great although I do suffer from some ongoing constipation which I counteract with 1000mg of magnesium citrate as needed. That's the only negative impact and it isn't from lack of veg but from the very low carb intake.

My personal (totally unscientific) view is that the human body is a self-sufficient machine that manufactures most of what it needs and acquires the rest through just about anything you eat. Also, I believe that meat, eggs, cheese and nuts are nutrition dense foods superior to most vegetables. Again, just my opinion and I'm sure others would disagree.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't. Meats contain plenty of nutrients. But you can't cook them to death. The more you cook them the more nutrients they lose. Of course you need to cook chicken and pork thoroughly but not to death. And I eat red meats rare and questionable ground beef like maybe from a restaurant or low quality medium rare.

I do take high doses of magnesium and vitamin C though. But not because I don't eat veggies.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    No multi-vitamins for me.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    No multivitamins for me either. I take D and Magnesium in addition to a probiotic. I'm also trying HCl to improve my stomach acid.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Looks like I won't be ordering them.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Long term carnivore here, 2+ years and going on life. Besides my own experience, I am friends with people who have been doing it for very long times (8-20 years in some cases). No supplements, no fiber, no vitamins, and not a whole lot of organ meats either. If you are eating fresh (not canned or cooked to death) meat, you'll be fine.

Honestly, the whole idea of being paleo and then supplementing just blows my mind. Clearly, you've come to the same conclusion. But, if this diet truly mirrors our natural diet (and a primarily meat based or entirely meat based diet almost certainly does mirror our natural diet) then it would never need any sort of artificial supplementation. Obviously, cave men couldn't run over to GNC to get their multivitamins and some psillum (sp) husk. :wink:
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Obviously, cave men couldn't run over to GNC to get their multivitamins and some psillum (sp) husk. :wink:

Lol!! :lol: ...damn... What a sight that'd be...

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    jrimy2h264wn.jpg
    rn3ublxjnqlt.png

Concept clash

bag9aol2snel.jpg

>:) or o:)