Thoughts on Kombucha?

Options
MyriiStorm
MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
My son makes his own, so I have a never-ending supply if I want it. When he puts fresh ginger in a batch, I just want to guzzle a gallon! I know it has probiotics, which are beneficial, but I'm concerned about the sugar content, so I've been hesitant to drink more than about 4 oz. here and there.

What are your experiences with it? How does it fit into a LCHF WOE?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think it absolutely can, as the sugar is eaten up by the ..... thingy on top (I cant for the life of me remember what it is called) during the fermentation process.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Scoby. ;)

I didn't drink much of it. I am guessing the sugar is sill largely there, or the alcohol level is higher than what I want. I've ignored my kombucha for a few months in the past and it was still finding sugars to eat.

Hmmm. I should make it again, and try it, and then use my blood glucose monitor. Then I'd know for sure. ;)
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Scoby. ;)

I didn't drink much of it. I am guessing the sugar is sill largely there, or the alcohol level is higher than what I want. I've ignored my kombucha for a few months in the past and it was still finding sugars to eat.

Hmmm. I should make it again, and try it, and then use my blood glucose monitor. Then I'd know for sure. ;)

I love kombucha but am staying away until I have some better metabolics. I'd be very interested to know your experience with kombucha and blood sugar. I know it's an individual thing, but I'd like to know what you discover.

Rosey
  • MyriiStorm
    Options

I am so bad about remembering the blood glucose monitor. Yes, that would be a good way to figure out if it is spiking my BG or not. Doh!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

I am so bad about remembering the blood glucose monitor. Yes, that would be a good way to figure out if it is spiking my BG or not. Doh!

Let us know what it shows! I am weeks away from this experiment. I "killed" my last scoby so my first step is to track another one down. Could take a while.
  • MyriiStorm
    Options

Let us know what it shows! I am weeks away from this experiment. I "killed" my last scoby so my first step is to track another one down. Could take a while.

My son used a bottle of GT's to start his scooby (that's what he calls "scoby" - lol).

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I don't make my own, but I do drink a little Kombucha tea every day usually 2.25 - 2.5 ounces to keep the carbs and sugars down but still get some benefit from the probiotics. Good luck with finding a new scoby and starting a new batch!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The sugar and caffeine content will vary greatly depending on how long kombucha is allowed to ferment...if it tastes sweet, then there is probably still sugar in the tea.