Please forgive cross posting in severe distress

Options
toadqueen
toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
My doctor doubled my current thyroid dosage for levothyroxine from 15 much to 30 mcg and liothyronine from 5 mcg to 10 mcg. I started Monday. I ached but attributed it to a long car ride. Yesterday, I ached more but attributed it to weather. I saw my pharmacist this afternoon who said the side effects I'm experiencing are not usual. I'm freezing wearing a sweater in a 78 degree car, can barely walk, have a terrible headache, aches, etc. My doctor called and said I probably have an infection at to go to Urgent Care. I'm waiting for my fiancé to get home from work.

Has anyone else experienced this? My symptoms got worse as the days/hours progressed.

Replies

• froyseef
    froyseef Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers and healing angels
  • toadqueen
    Options
    Thank you so much @froyseef

I saw angels bringing me prayers when I was in a coma and on life support following a near fatal car accident 2 years ago. You message today helps me so very much to get through this.

TQ
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Toadqueen, you're in my prayers tonight. I hope everything turns out okay for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That sounds off to me. I've been overdosed, and made hyperthyroid, by taking too much natural desiccated thyroid. My symptoms were almost the reverse of what you are experiencing. I was jittery, felt too alert, was too warm, and my aches and pains were reduced. I was taking 180mcg and reduced to 150mcg - I feel good there.

It does sound more like a flu than too much meds to me. I could be wrong though. :( If in doubt, reduce your meds to half and then bring them back up after you start feeling better. Just add on the few extra days before you get retested (TSH, free T3 and T4) and it shouldn't make a difference to testing accuracy.

I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you are doing.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Increases in thyroid meds can often cause distressing symptoms for days or even weeks -- especially if you're taking a t3 medication, which you are.

Your doses are pretty small, though; how long have you been taking thyroid meds? The start-up period can be rocky.

Just FYI -- I get hyperthyroid symptoms all the time, even though I am hypothyroid. Hashimoto's patients often get these wonky inversions.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Please let us know how you're doing.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better today.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I'm feeling much better today. Low grade fever, no appetite, but aches are less. I slept almost the entire day. I was a little delirious when I first posted. Fiancé came home and helped me last night.

He keeps trying to give me juice bless his heart! lol
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I'm feeling much better today. Low grade fever, no appetite, but aches are less. I slept almost the entire day. I was a little delirious when I first posted. Fiancé came home and helped me last night.

He keeps trying to give me juice bless his heart! lol

LOL Get him to make you some chicken soup, minus the noodles, instead. ;) Hope you are better for the weekend.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    Did you find out what was causing everything?
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I am being treated for a pharyngitis (throat infection) with antibiotics and Tylenol and it seems to be working. I am feeling much better today. Very tired but my fever is gone and I am able to eat. I have been indulging a little bit with comfort food that I usually avoid but not too crazy (dark chocolate, egg roll, White Castle) and have been able to make and eat some of my usual homemade chicken broth.

I am seeing a new endocrinologist this Tuesday. It is just too coincidental that this happened within a couple of days of increasing my thyroid medicine. I am not prone to infections and eat very clean.

Thank you all so much for your support.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    I'm so glad you're feeling better! That's a lot to deal with all at once.