Weekly Post 18.09. - 24.09.16

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
In last weeks post Mamainthekitchen mentioned alcohol cals... well to be honest, I am enjoying a very lazy Sunday. The laziest one in a very long time and my first glass of wine was on the table at 15h B)

If it is the alcohol or an NSV....don't know, but I am feeling much better and more positive. Have discovered Spontacts, an app for contacts to do almost anything. And someone asked for people interested in going to the movies to tonight. I'm going... It's the second 'event' I've participating in thru the app. The first one was meeting for drinks and I met about 15 very cool/nice/normal people my age all in one night... I'm looking for a new crowd,so I have decided to do more of this kind of thing and not sit at home as much in the evening.

Fast day tomorrow, so off to cook some veggies :p Enjoy your Sunday and your week!

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    @flumi_f That sounds fun!
    I have been really having a rough time the last couple of months, but I think I am slowly getting back on track. I am ordering an aromatherapy necklace to see if that will help with my down mood. Also, I am mentally scrapping my goals. It doesn't matter what my weight is or if I exercise. I just want to feel better and be a good example to my kids. So, as long as I am fasting and moving more than I used to, I am successful. There is also no fear of success. The "what if I lose weight and I still feel like a horrible person" is not a reason to not try. (Please remind me of that as I go!) I am who I am, whether I like it or not, but my kids deserve better.
    I hope you all have a great week!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Flumi, it sounds like you have a great attitude and you have decided you are going to get out there and have a good time. If I lived near you I would love to join you on some stand up paddle boarding trips. I've tried it a few times and it was a blast.
    Kate, I don't know if it is the time of year or what but some friends of mine and I have experienced feelings similar to what you wrote. I don't have any fabulous advice to offer although it seems your approach is the best advice there is: continuing a healthy lifestyle through moving / exercise and fasting. You have been an active, supportive person here and I think that your kids see so many great qualities in you as you push ahead. Would it be so great for kids to believe that their parents never had to struggle and persevere despite everyday challenges and obstacles? I am grateful for your honesty and I send you support from across the miles.
    I had a busy week last week with two semi-fasts that reached into the 700 calorie range. I went hiking with friends and experienced altitude sickness and felt very old and weak. We have a big hike coming up (Yosemite Half Dome) and I was thinking of dropping out but learned that medication is available to counteract the effects of high altitude. So I am proceeding with the hike but will not beat myself up (hope not to anyway) if I don't make it all the way to the peak. Coming up this week: mammogram and hormone test to see if I am in menopause, yippee (sarcasm, although having a friend coping with breast cancer makes me know deep down that these things are not a big deal in the larger picture). So in addition to practicing fasting and healthy movement it is my intent to practice gratitude and compassion as life continues to provide the opportunity.
  • MelissaCV
    MelissaCV Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm having a tough time with my fasting today. Last week was a breeze but today...I'm struggling and getting a slight headache. Just had coffee this morning. Waiting for noon for my first meal, as I usually do.

I guess not all fast days are the same... :#
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Melissa - fasts vary alot. Go with the flow. Stick with it if you can, don't worry, if today doesn't happen.

Kate - I don't know if you 'believe' in it, but things should start looking up as several planetary constellations have changed and our overall energy should come back and become more positive. I've felt on hold and as if my hand break has been blocked for most of this year. In the last month or so I noticed, I'm making myself a priority, more motivated in different aspects of my life and feeling better about myself again. Scrapping your numbers and following a healthy lifestyle that's fun sounds like a great idea! Counting cals and kilos can mess with your head after a while.

Sanjo - anytime! Though fall has arrived and the temperature is sinking...still have a tour planned with my swim club. The others are using canoes...I want to take my SUP. Not sure if it will happen though...17°C on Wednesday...seems a bit chilly for a day on the lake.
  • MelissaCV
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well. I craved BREAD and caved in today and had 300 cals of a baguette. So mad at myself. Last week my fasts were easy-breezy. Today I had a headache all day. And drinking any more water made me feel sick. I knew it wasn't a normal fast by 10am as I was starving by then. Normally I can go without breakfast, having just coffee, until noon. Not today though.

So, in the end, I was over by those stupid 300 cals I could not resist...
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    @MelissaCV Don't beat yourself up. Some days are not meant to be fast days. Today was supposed to be mine, but I knew by about noon that it just wasn't going to happen, so I am content to have a low cal day today and try again tomorrow. That is part of why I love fasting. Even if I "fail" it is usually still a low day so it is really a win! Good luck!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa, sometimes when a fast is not in the cards, it makes sense to just let this one go. Sometimes though my craving for something savory like bread can be satisfied by something salty like a mini dill pickle or a cup of miso soup. I'm mentioning this because you indicated drinking more water made you feel sick and for me a little bit of salt makes that feeling go away. Flumi, good luck if you proceed with the chilly lake tour!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Yup, sounds like you could be needing some salt or other minerals. Try a broth next time and definitely don't beat yourself up 800 cals is still a good deficit for the day!
  • MelissaCV
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks so much. It's funny, the thought of a broth came to mind yesterday. I guess my body communicating with me. Thank you, I will keep that handy in my cupboard.

I had an early dinner: trout fillet and roasted vegetables and I was fine in the evening. I think I chose the wrong lunch. I'll keep experimenting...thanks again!

Today...no fast! Keeping it to 1,600, which is a perfectly normal weekday for me.
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Today's fast is a success! A salad for lunch and a chicken wrap for dinner. Oh, and two fun size packs of M&Ms because I work with children and they are a little crazy.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hoping to get back to fasting next week. I haven't gained any weight so I'm looking at that as my positive. My daughter should get released from Pediatric ICU today....so it should be easier once we are back home again. Been so crazy and stressful.
  • MelissaCV
    Options
    My fast is going well today. I have noticed that when I go for a jog in the morning when I am fasting I can tolerate my fasts much better. Don't know why. Anyway, just had lunch and I am feeling ok.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Having my second fast of the week today. Been a weird week for food for me so I'm going to try and practise some mindful eating for the rest of the month. No eating dinner while watching tv and so on. I need to break that association of eating while watching telly as that really is my downfall when it comes to snacking late evening.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Had a good fast today too. After the over day I had yesterday with lots of grain carbs, I needed it.

The SUP trip was adventurous...lots of wind and waves on the lake. Had to paddle on my knees in order to get anywhere on the way there. So my thighs ache a little today. Weather was warm enough though and the company was good, so no complaints there.

Having an exciting week...seems I'm on the verge of buying an appartement for the first time in my life. Been in my rented appartment since 1999... Renting is 'normal' in Switzerland. Saw the project about a month ago and it is right across the street from the farmers I usually buy my fruits and veggies from and at the foot of the hill I run, ride and bike on. At the time the agent said all of the two bedroom appartements were reserved...asked again this week, and it seems some have become available. Talked to the bank today and got my mom's opinion, both gave a green light. Now it's time to have a sit down with the agent...and decide... and probably before I leave for vacation on the 2nd. Exciting and scary...lots of money...lots of decisions as it is just starting to be built and I would have a say in tiles flooring kitchen etc... And I thought life would be quieter as of October :# This would be a project for the next 15-18mth until moving day arrives. Yikes!

Thanks for listening....gotta tell someone and I'm home alone :p
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    sending you virtual hugs Kate... I agree with Sanjo, alot of people feel that way this time of year! and your plan of just moving more IS an example to your kids and the kids you teach. There is too much pressure this time of year to 'do it all'... there is one thing that may make a difference....make sure you're getting enough sleep! I think that is key to any success.

Last week was my daughter's birthday and I always induge for the whole week! I was out of dinner & lunch 4 times! Not all with her!! She's 23 now and well, I celebrated more than her. Needless to say, my calories were all over the place and not everything was recorded. I'm really officially in maintainence now and can really tell when I've had too much sodium, too much alcohol, etc... just one fast day puts me back to feeling good. Broths, cottage cheese, coleslaw.... a few foods I like on fast days really help. I'm coming up to my own bday in a couple weeks, Oct 5, and also my mfp anniversary of one year on Oct 9. I felt if I didn't start losing weight one year ago and stick with it, I would be the same size or larger by Oct 9 2016.... so, I'm pretty happy I changed my habits. o:)

Flumi I'm excited for you to make this purchase! And a great location is everything!!! Good luck with all the paperwork, but you wont be sorry.... real estate is always a smart investment, let us know when congratulations are in order!

Also, welcome Melissa... I like to walk fasted too and find exercise really helps supress my appetite - who knew!? :p

• KateNkognito
    Options
    @mabearof6 I hope your daughter is better now!
    @flumi_f That sounds exciting!
    @mamainthekitchen Thanks for the hugs and congratulations on your success!
    Today was only an ok fast day. I was starving by the end, but instead of ordering pizza, I had a couple ounces of cheese and a liter of sparkling water. So I am going to call it a win. :tongue:
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! After a bit of a "vacation" from MFP, I decided it was time to get back to business. The truth is our weather has turned cooler (yay) and after putting on my skinny jeans, I realized my lack of accountability was had a negative effect. I'm still fasting twice a week, but it's been a half-assed effort. I'm still dancing and exercising, but, again, I'm just kind of going through the motions. Weight maintenance has always been my most difficult challenge because I'm so used to having to try to lose weight. The few times I've reached a weight goal, I'm left with this feeling of "now what??". Sometimes I think I sabotage myself a little just to have a project again...losing weight. I don't want to sabotage too much because of my hard work of losing 40, but I've got a few extra pounds that snuck in there. So here we are! I'm going to reread the 5:2 book, start tracking, and planning my meals beforehand. Planning, for me, is key just so I can see what I can eat and how to budget my calories. Ahh...the struggle continues. But I'm beginning to view it as an old friend who has been with me for ages. Have a great weekend, guys!!!!