Long Run Headaches

Options
Does anyone else get headaches after a long run? I figure it is my body telling me it needs something, but I have no idea what :(. I am quite used to spending Sunday afternoons with a blinding, sickening headache and would love to make it go away! I did my long run of 8miles this morning, took my camelpak so stayed well hydrated and have drunk a normal amount today but the headache still came on. I tried a can of coke this afternoon, the combo of sugar and caffeine normally works on my headaches but that hasn't done the trick. I just wondered if anyone else suffered with similar or has any ideas of what i need to do to make it stop. Thanks team MFP!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    First guess would be dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.

You might need something salty post run?

How well do you hydrate the 24 hours before your long run?
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My guess is you need salt.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Lots of options here.

Do you weigh yourself before an after? That can help you see if it is hydration related. If your weight is up, it could definitely be salt you need. (Ie., you are over hydrated and your blood is dilute.)

I don't typically get headaches from dehydration. More typically I get nausea.

There is also the possibility it is heat related. I get headaches when I run hard and it's hot. They typically resolve in less than an hour.

Alternatively, something from the run is triggering a migraine. Do you get them any other time?

Good luck!
  • charis_et2
    charis_et2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, I hadn't considered salt.
    As I am in the U.K. I don't think it can be heat, and I have never had a migraine before so salt/ electrolytes look to be my best bet. I'll give it a go, thank you!