Livin' The Lifestyle - Monday 9/19/16

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 4,018 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Today's topic: technology

Is there some tool or app or piece of technology that's critical to your success? Is it the portable measuring cups? The online tools used in the grocery aisle? Enquiring minds and all that . . .

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The MFP app! It makes tracking quick and easy for me. My digital kitchen scale also is critical to keeping me honest about portion sizes.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Point calculator, paper & pencil. Oh, & food scale.
    Digital food scale has helped me squeeze the last bite out of every point.

The WW recipe builder had a feature where you could the meauring around. Say measure in grams instead of cup. I found that very helpful.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they are critical to my success, but two things I use frequently and appreciate are my digital scale and the bar code scanner in the WW app on my phone.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,023 Member
    Options
    The MFP app! It makes tracking quick and easy for me. My digital kitchen scale also is critical to keeping me honest about portion sizes.

Yeah, that's pretty much the extent of my "high-tech" needs for managing my weight. I might also add the high-quality scale I bought for myself as well.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,976 Member
    Options
    My laptop, which I use to log in here every morning.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Digital food scale and the WW app for tracking and my home weigh in scale are the top 3. The mapmyrun app and fitbit I wear are nice to have but not critical.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm on the same page - digital scale has been invaluable and WW on line app for tracking. I also use weight training DVDs if those count - it's like having a personal trainer in my living room. There are several "pay us $X a month for access" exercise video apps, but I liked paying a set amount and no monthly fees for the DVDs.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    Critical? No. Helpful? Yes.

Digital food scale and the Sparkpeople app (for tracking).
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Definitely the ap. I like that I can discreetly track wherever I am and have access to a huge food database at all times. It's saved me quite a few times at restaurants (how do they fit so many calories into some of those meals?!)
  • wwchrisdad
    wwchrisdad Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    FitBit. Checking it means almost never do less than 10K steps daily.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    1. The WW App for daily tracking keeps me aware of how easy it is to go over daily allotment of SPs. Now days I have been dipping into weeklies and don't like the results.
    2. Bar code scanner at grocery store is very handy when shopping for a new item. Processed food is so tempting to me because it is a quick way to prepare a meal. But the bar code is my reminder of what all the carp adds to SPs.
    3. My Fitbit is my Nagging reminder to Move It! I use it to keep aware of how easy it is to fall back to lazy pre WW mode.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    I need to call out the barcode scanner in Sparkpeople. Thanks @Jimb376mfp for reminding me of it. I used to use the one from WW. Now that I have changed apps, I still find I use it regularly.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a new Bonavita coffee maker which has one button on the front. What does it do?? It just makes great coffee with the near steam temps spurting through the grounds. Mine has a stainless steel thermal carafe so no hot plate either. The technology is in the high wattage heater and brewing.

I could use the WW eTools should I need to track for awhile but currently doing more SFT using my memory.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,595 Member
    Options
    The MFP app and my digital scale. All those measuring spoons and cups don't hurt either
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    podkey wrote: »
    I have a new Bonavita coffee maker which has one button on the front. What does it do?? It just makes great coffee with the near steam temps spurting through the grounds. Mine has a stainless steel thermal carafe so no hot plate either. The technology is in the high wattage heater and brewing.

I could use the WW eTools should I need to track for awhile but currently doing more SFT using my memory.

Using MY memory would be scary. ;)
  • Kramti386
    Kramti386 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor, whether it be attached to my fitbit or a chest strap.
    The WW for "easy" tracking
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use the MFP app and my WW digital scale, mostly. Also, the Map My Run app for the other part of the exercise portion.
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I still use eTools for tracking my activity and monthly weigh-ins.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Oh I use a HR strap and monitor to see when I am dying while climbing big hills as if I couldn't tell that already.

:*
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I think the one thing that has been key for me is the WW phone app. Tracking forces me to know how much I'm eating. WW's slowly decreasing point allocation helped move me from eating mountains of food to eating a reasonable amount. While there were some challenges with the app from time to time, in general it's been a game-changer for me.