Throwing up & Keto?

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
For the past 3 weeks I have regularly been throwing up. I have none of the keto flu symptoms, just being overcome with sudden nausea causing me to completely empty my stummack. I have just emptied my insides in spectacular fashion again. I am not dizzy, no aches or pains or any normal keto flu symptoms.

I have googled it, and there does not seem to be much information online.

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I don't know. :( Hopefully someone can shed some light for you.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Are you certain it's related? Is it possible you're pregnant? I have gotten nausea when keto but not actually thrown up, I think from all the fat. Maybe try cutting back on fat or adding acv or digestive enzymes to aid in the breakdown. Do you have a gallbladder?

If it continues, best to check with your Dr to rule out anything else.

Feel better soon
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Definitely not pregnant, never ill in the mornings and not every day. Only thing that has changed recently is I have gone lower in carbs. No new meds.
  • sceleste54
    sceleste54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Could definately be your gallbladder. You might consider getting some labwork done at the very least.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach or soon after eating? If after eating, how long after and what foods?
    Look for patterns...
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Empty stummack, from 4-8 hours after eating. Yesterday I had a handful of Doritos with melted cheese. First time I had a piece of birthday cake. One day it was after chicken salad and celery sticks. I don't do BPC or fatbombs. I generally finish my day under 20 carbs and my keto sticks (unreliable yes) are hovering between the two highest levels.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Could it be carbs? Doritos and birthday cake would probably make me feel sick.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Are you gluten intolerant? Unless the cake and Doritos were gluten free then that might be it though it doesn't explain the chicken salad. It's not a general side effect of Keto though I don't think - probably need to see the doc if it's happening regularly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Are you insulin resistant or Diabetic?
    I'm suspecting low blood sugar symptoms.
    Can you check your blood sugar next time?
    It's probably not actually low enough to be an issue, it may just have suddenly dropped a bit.
    Why did you choose Doritos or birthday cake? Did you feel a "need" for them? That could also support the low blood sugar theory?
  • Bonny132
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Gluten intolerant yes, there is no gluten to be found in my place, unless I am making a specific treat for my SO.

Birthday cake, it was my SO's birthday and to make me feel inclusive the birthday cake was made glutenfree and dairy free, but not taste free so I had a slice, worked it into my macro's.

Dorito's were GF and a handful of pure greediness. Again I had worked them into my macro's as it was me or the bin. As it was I ended up throwing the majority away anyways.

I don't tend to eat much carbs or dairy. A lot of the GF products I simply do not like the taste or consistency of.

I had my blood glucose level measured last week at 4.9
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    possible milk allergy? could also be gut bacteria all out of whack, maybe try probiotics?

Also, could be an ulcer or gastritis, doesn't seem to be a common keto reaction, so may be best to see a doctor.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nausea can be a sign of electroly imbalance (keto flu). A couple of cups of broth or a teaspoon of salt in water may do the trick if it is in fact the problem.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Do you have a blood glucose meter?
    I would check it the next time you feel that way. At that moment.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    For the past 3 weeks I have regularly been throwing up. I have none of the keto flu symptoms, just being overcome with sudden nausea causing me to completely empty my stummack. I have just emptied my insides in spectacular fashion again. I am not dizzy, no aches or pains or any normal keto flu symptoms.

I have googled it, and there does not seem to be much information online.

Lots of possibilities in other posts. If I were experiencing throwing up regularly, I'd damn sure get myself to a doctor. But that's just me.

• Bonny132
    Options
    I am already booked in for later this week, but I really like doing my research beforehand and write down my questions. If not they tend to brush you off and try and get you out of the door ASAP and you end up suffering for longer than necessary.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    maybe you need potassium pills to support your electrolytes. I would check out the symptoms with a doctor tho. Nausea is the worst!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I am already booked in for later this week, but I really like doing my research beforehand and write down my questions. If not they tend to brush you off and try and get you out of the door ASAP and you end up suffering for longer than necessary.

EXCELLENT!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like it's worth a trip to the doc, three weeks of vomiting is concerning. The only time I've come close to throwing up since changing my diet was during three separate periods of extreme dehydration. Each time I was outside walking further than I'd walked previously, in the heat with lots of steep hills, and I failed to properly hydrate the day before, the morning before I left and while I was out.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Thank you all for great suggestions. Normally I can find the patterns, but flummoxed this time. I am not very nauseated at all, only when it hits me suddenly, food goes and so does the nausea.

At least I have plenty of questions to explore with my GP, and will be adding more salts to my food. I do have broth daily and drink about 2 litres of water minimum.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @Bonny132: Sounds a little like a gall bladder problem. I would definitely run that test.