fitbit charge hr and calories

Options
bomftdrum
bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
Has anyone else's charge hr started giving you more calories then you burned. Here is a couple of examples. I put my charge hr on charger last night it was reading 3500 calories burned. I took it and headed to bed and looked at it and it said i burned 5500. That's not possible considering i wasn't wearing it. It said i burned 2000 calories while not wearing it.
One more this morning got up and got moving i was at 700 calories, not bad, i walked 1400 steps it now it says i burned 1175. I'm 240 pounds so i know this can't be right. I'm guessing the heart rate part is messed up bc it says my heart rate is 90 when im not doing anything other then typing this on my phone. Is anyone else I experiencing anything similar?

Replies

• Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate can very well be 90 when doing nothing but typing on your phone. It's slightly high but lots of things can affect heart rate, not just physical effort. I do however agree that the calorie burn is very high for a couple of hours of not wearing it.. it should be at BMR during that time, no more.

I've also noticed the calorie count being high, but I've been told it takes time for it to get to know you (and I've only had it for 2 weeks). Either way, my calorie coun't isn't nearly as high as yours so I think something's up. Have you tried resetting it?
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try resetting it because later in the day while checking emails at work, my heart read 190. So it has to be something with that.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A normal resting heart rate is between 60 and 100. I'm 253 lb (5'4), and my resting heart rate is around 80. However, each person is different, and yours very well could be 90. Now, the 190 does sound weird if you were only checking emails. A reset couldn't hurt anything.

Edit: Well now I don't know what to think. I got this yesterday, and everything correlated well with the heart rate on the exercise machines. Yesterday it said my resting heart rate is 80, and today It's hovering anywhere between 66 and 75 (and this is with me double checking by manually checking my pulse). :/
  • Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Edit: Well now I don't know what to think. I got this yesterday, and everything correlated well with the heart rate on the exercise machines. Yesterday it said my resting heart rate is 80, and today It's hovering anywhere between 66 and 75 (and this is with me double checking by manually checking my pulse). :/

I think that's normal? Fitbit says my resting heart rate is 60 but that's based on my HR when I sleep. During the day it's moves around between 60-80 when I'm at work (desk job).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fitbit did change what they use as a restingHR figure a while back.

It used to be like an average low for the day, not the traditional meaning of RHR of first thing in morning before moving around.

But they seemed to have change their field meaning to that of normal use of term RHR. So perhaps some days in a row have had a lower RHR in morning.

But they also seem to keep track of your average daily lower HR (perhaps only while awake) so they can try to determine when exercise level has started.

And since that indeed should be a floating number (hopefully down) based on becoming more fit, it means when they think exercise level has started would change too.

Like I can walk level 4 mph and have HR around 90 - traditional start of exercise level in studies (flex-point).
    But if I happen to spike above that during the day - it doesn't mean I'm exercising if it was brief.

I'm betting the same thing happens here - you do some activity that isn't exercise, but increases HR enough (shoot, scared at movie or speaking to audience) and it starts thinking that's exercise level, or at least increases that hidden value for that day.

Can you look at your HR readings in the morning after waking - for the last several days - perhaps you'll see a trend too.

Of course you knowing when you woke up and HR just prior, and what Fitbit assumes was waking up - could be 2 different times and numbers.