Living the Lifestyle - Tues., Sept. 20th

Options
60in2017
60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Today's topic: Last week, I asked a question about body distortion. This week, I’m asking questions about portion distortion. How good are you at judging portions sizes? Do you weigh and measure or do you “eyeball it”? Do you suffer from “portion creep”? Was or is portion control a major part of why you have difficulty with your weight (rather than types of foods, it’s just too much food)? Is there a particular type of food with which you have difficulty controlling the portion size?

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,039 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything unless I'm at a restaurant or eating out. I eyeball veggies and most condiments but not potatoes or pasta. Sweets that's another story. I just stay away from some pies and cakes.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,976 Member
    Options
    Way back when I was working at losing, I measured everything. Now I eyeball it. The results on the bathroom scale are what I follow carefully.

I think portion size was a big part of how I got fat in the first place. I try to be mindful of that now, in maintenance. I rarely have seconds (I used to have thirds). I make use of the smaller plate trick, too. Eating on an 8-inch plate doesn't allow me to pile up too much food.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    I weigh that which has points (starches, meats, etc.), at least most of the time. I can eyeball a lot of stuff, but re- calibrate quite often, to minimalize portion creep.
  • Kramti386
    Kramti386 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I try to Buy items that are pre-measured (like turkey meat for sandwiches which come 16 slices in a pound package). If not I measure them (scale or volume) most of the time. Then I guessimate the size.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,595 Member
    Options
    I think I have learned that my estimation skills become more generous over time if I don't weight and measure. This helps me a bit more at restaurants. A good reason to keep the scale out on the counter with the measuring cups and spoons nearby.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,721 Member
    Options
    I always weigh & measure at home buy still at times eat more portions than I should. At a restaurant I eye ball but always put pt. values to my meal.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    I actually am quite good at portion estimation. The issue for me is being disciplined to use it. Scales and measuring cups enforce that discipline for me. So, I use them.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    10 years in, I still weigh and messure. Quit counting points but I got no IM as to portions. I think the dirty little WW secret is we are all going to the SF food list to get enough to eat as points dwindle. I sure have.

But the part where I'm supposed to know when I've eaten enough, I haven't gotten there. So my portion control takes place when I fill the plate, not when I empty it.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure whenever I can. When out at restaurants, then I do my best estimating and try to err on the side of overestimating the portion size.

Eating an unmeasured portion out of a container is a disaster waiting to happen. It usually turns into a situation of 1 container = 1 serving but I will log what the true amount that was contained in the container even if it was really 4+ portions.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I still use the hand estimation tools (tablespoon=thumb, palm=3oz). If I feel like I'm not making progress then I go back to more exact measurements but I try to do habits during weight loss that I'm going to carry into maintenance
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or measure, so my weight goes up when my food choices gravitate to those with higher caloric density.

My problem is less with knowing portions and more about saying *kitten* it...
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My main difficulty with my weight is I'm a binge eater. A half an hour of non-stop eating can undue a whole week (or more) of portioned eating. When I am controlling my eating, I portion out/weigh/all the good stuff you're supposed to do. When I'm on a binge, it's snarf down boxes/pints/etc. I guess that's still measuring, but a box of Wheat Thins is certainly no portion of 10 crackers. I have been doing better with this in the last couple of years. I am learning to be honest with myself and the food scale, measuring cups and individualized portioned foods are invaluable.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh and measure much. I did measure when I was in loss phase and occasionally thereafter. I eyeball very well. When I want to.

Measuring/weighing and tracking are very similar to me...not a lot of effort required. But my willingness to do them is a great predictor of my level of success. It's not about ability or the amount of work it takes. It's about whether I want to limit what I'm eating.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure most (pointy) things if I can. If I can't, I don't worry about it. I just give it a fair estimate (probably conservative if anything) and call it good. The fact that I'm even thinking of a fraction of the whole is far more attention than I ever used to do pre-WW. ( @60in2017 , I know what you mean about boxes / pints / etc. !)

An interesting aspect of this is that I usually really don't desire to eat as much as I used to. Now, that amount of food is so much more than I need to satisfy my 'hunger'. Rarely now do I eat without paying attention to that whereas prior to WW, never did that awareness enter the equation.

Today's portion has no distortion--most of the time!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    guess I was at Yoga yesterday when this came out. I do weigh and measure itmes often to keep my eyes honest. I am actually pretty good at some meats etc.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I've been eyeballing a lot recently, but when it comes to a heavy calorie item I try to weigh it. I love take out Chinese and it is mandatory that I weight the beef fried rice because I could eat the whole container and then some.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh and measure at home. My portion radar is way off. When I'm eating out, I assume that the portion on my plate is at least two servings. At a buffet I use the island technique - make sure the food on my plate looks like islands, not one huge continent.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    Nice Mitch so maybe we should be having an archipelago breakfast of little islands and not "continental" breakfast of "all you can eat and plate".
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything at home when I'm tracking. Out I estimate and I think I'm pretty good at it, EXCEPT with my problem area, salty snacks. I know I guess low and try to adjust accordingly, but it's always better if I can weigh them!
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes, portion was an issue for me and the main reason for gaining along with over all volume consumed, in other words I may not have too much of one thing, but I may have too many normal portions of a variety of things.

I am good with portion control now because I weigh most things, but prior to weighing I estimate how much do I think it is, to sharpen my "eyeball it" skills. I am pretty good at hitting the number and often my mistake is thinking it is more than it really weighs.

Where I have difficulty with portion is when I don't weigh but use a measuring spoon or cup, I find I heap the spoon or cup when it comes to things I enjoy. But I only count it as (1) tsp or (1) cup...knowing full well it probably was more. Part of why I measure by weighing is the accuracy and the ability to maximize my portion for the same points. It keeps the guilty feelings away, because I'm not playing a game. Ironically when I do weigh a cup or spoon full of something (even when I do my heaping version) often it is not more points, but the fact that I am in the unknown is what causes me to feel like I did something wrong.

Sorry if this is a bit convoluted :)