Living the Lifestyle (Early Edition), Wed., 9/21/16

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Today's topic: Reached for it, then decided no

[Will be headed out early in the AM so taking this off the plate (so to speak) tonight.]

Forgive me for obsessing on the mindfulness stuff but it's certainly been one of the keys to my success so far. Have you had the experience of reaching for or getting ready to eat something, then changing your mind because you realized you really weren't hungry, or eating that ---whatever--just wasn't consistent with your goal? To be clear, in this context I'm talking about a last-second changing of your mind vs. deciding ahead of time not to have something. If so, how did that abrupt change of mind come about? If not, why do you think it hasn't happened to you?

Replies

• minimyzeme
    Options
    This has happened to me a few times in the last several weeks with my precious cashews. The main bulk container of them is in the kitchen and my travel stash (a few ounces) is in the car.

The other day I found myself reaching for 'a few' from the kitchen container not long after I'd had lunch. As I was poking my hand down to get the cashews out, there was a little 'flash' in my brain. It was a combination of 'GOADtalk' with a mix of self-awareness telling myself I wasn't hungry and that I'd just eaten. I withdrew my hand just before I pulled out any cashews. A few minutes later I checked and found I really did not need any more food. I think I was getting them initially...just because they were there (and so was I).

I had a similar experience driving out of town the other day, this time with the car stash. I opened the Tupperware container and was just ready to take out a few when I did a last-second 'check-in', again realizing I really wasn't hungry or wanting food. I had a drink of water and stopped thinking about it. A few minutes later, I realized I still wasn't hungry. A couple hours later however, I was hungry. I allowed myself to have a few (visualizing what a half-ounce of them looks like). I had them, satisfied my hunger and was done with it.

In both cases, without the mindfulness (very focused, I might add), I'm sure I would have had way more than 1/2 or even one ounce. This mindfulness / vigilance is pretty new for me. At times it feels like work or even a pain to be aware and assessing all the time. However, I think it's going to be an important part of what keeps me on the rails from here on out so I'm trying to get used to it and see it as a positive thing.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If the food is in my hand, about the only thing that will get me to drop it is to realize that it has coconut in it. Blech.

Otherwise, my best strategy is just not to be in the vicinity of food when cravings start popping into my mind. I'm usually too lazy to make the effort required to act upon them.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,023 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a recent example where I made a last-minute decision to NOT eat something.

I try to avoid being in the situation Kim described as much as possible. I find that availability of food makes mindlessness much easier. If there is food too readily available, I will tend to simply eat things because they're there. Thus, controlling my immediate environment seems to be the most useful strategy for me from this regard.

• 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mindless munching - I have this problem when I'm bored or tired, worse when I'm bored AND tired. That 1/2 hour before bed time used to be a killer of going into the fridg, eating something, repeat. Now I do stop myself and go to bed. Oh, and I can't keep cashews in the house, the container would be empty on the first day, so GOOD FOR YOU!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to make sure to take food only when I am hungry, but when it comes to treats sometimes it's a different story. I've had a few times where I've put the treat on the plate, brought it to sit down with me, looked at it, and then had to remind myself that I'm not hungry and put it back for later. What helps me is knowing that I can have it later so it's easier to put back.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,595 Member
    Options
    I have had very little success consistently making that decision. It does help to have nuts, chips or in my case portioned out so if I do grab something it is a limited portion. But that only moves the needle a bit and limits the damage.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    Yeah like Steve this hasn't happened to me enough and not recently I can think of.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation so every meal was eating out. I don't remember any moments where I pulled my hand back from eating something, but lots of times where I stopped eating before the food was gone. My son and I both wanted ribs and steak one night but you couldn't get that on the menu, so one of us ordered the rib eye and one of us ordered the ribs and we split it. I'm happy to say that I gave most of the steak to him and took the smaller amount of ribs too.

I found that I'm getting pickier about the food I'm eating. If it isn't very good, I'm not just eating it because its there. And by the way, I just can't figure out why there are so many restaurants out there that serve such marginal food. Most of our meals out were a disappointment. I was looking forward to some new eating opportunities with our visits in Georgia and Nashville and I just didn't find much that was really good. I tried using Trip Advisor to find good places to eat, but still ended up disappointed.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    And holy crap!! How in the world can you keep a can of cashews in the house?
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,039 Member
    Options
    This happened to me just yesterday at lunch. It was a a civic meeting luncheon and I had gotten my lunch off the buffet as usual for our weekly lunch meeting. Then I reached for a yogurt desert with blueberries on it and some topping. I put it back and got two cookies which was worse I'm sure even though they were small. So yes this does occur with me but I'm not sure of another recent example.

If I don't know what the pt value is but after 5 years instinctively know about what the pt value is I don't even reach for it at all. I know just to stay away from it.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Imastar2 - you make a good point about instinctively knowing the points and staying away. I find myself looking at foods and deciding they aren't "point worthy", especially bakery items. They may taste great, but 4 points for a tiny cookie just doesn't seem worth it to me, at least not often. We'll see if I can say the same at Christmastime!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I find myself making more good last minute decisions but also still have some "weak" moments.
    DW is at goal and has her "binge" day on Sat after herWI. She eats pastries, candy and other high SP treats. I can usually resist but the other day I was at store and had the same jar of candy she was eating and I thought of getting a jar for myself. BUT I used my WW bar scanner saw the SPs and put it down. I used to give in to my cravings but recently I have been THINKING before acting and have been making THE BETTER CHOICE!
    The ability to THINK before I eat is what is new, I used to just give in to the craving then feel bad about it later. I blamed the old 1960s mantra "If it feels good, do it!" I always liked that saying but it now see the "good feeling" is often temporary, wrong and not worth I.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Very early on, I'm fixing food for the kids, a rare occurrence, but I was. Cheese burgers I guess. Because there's half a slice leftover.

It was in my hand, elbow bent, arm moving, mouth open. True. No kidding. Voice in my head "how many points is this?" Stopped. Looked up points. It was 2. Not worth it. Points were very hard to come by in those days. I think that was my drink the KoolAid moment.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while this happens. I reach out for something and think, wait, I don't really want that or that isn't that great anyway. Or at a potluck, when I'm tempted to eat something really calorie dense, I'll tell myself that it came from the kitchen of my not very clean aunt.

I will say that my success rate is much better when decision are made ahead of time.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

If not, why do you think it hasn't happened to you?

I think it hasn't happened because I am either OP and thinking about everything I am eating, or not OP and not wanting to think at all about what I am eating.

• leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have made those last minute decisions...typically it's a situation where I was not thinking prior to grabbing something then once my brain caught up with what I had done, I change my mind. Sort of "old habit" breaking.

But I have also NOT made that last minute decision and regretted consuming something that was not that tasty, not filling but still used up a fair amount of points. I hate when that happens but I do learn from it, for next time.
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    Interesting and insightful responses folks; thanks! This is a new behavior for me and I'm still marveling at the difference that can come (even at the last second) making an informed and thoughtful decision. The more often I can do that, the better I'm going to be at this game long-term.

Oh, @goldenfrisbee , I've been keeping a large 34-oz tub of cashews in the house probably the whole time I've been on WW. I'm a pretty chronic measurer (except when I'm not) so most of the time I don't just go for a few nuts or munch them mindlessly.