More IF Talk

Options
I have been doing IF with LCHF since July and the weight loss has been very slow. So after reading the article that was linked yesterday about IF, I saw that you should not put anything in your coffee. I've been adding butter and MCT oil to my coffee each morning. I decided to bite the bullet and had my coffee black this morning. I then played 90 minutes of tennis and did a ten mile bike ride in the hot SW Florida sun. I sweated like crazy, but felt really good during it all. I fasted until 1:00 pm this afternoon, and everything still is going great. I'm curious to see if fasting without the fats in my coffee will help with my weight loss and blood sugars. I'll keep you posted.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ive always added mct and sometimes butter as well. I do use mct as a supplement for mental focus though, so I may start having it later in the day.
    It's still similar to fasting, more of a fasting hack I guess if you just add those and nothing else, but of course your body will use the consumed fat before resorting to body fat. It just doesn't completely break the fasted state like food with carbs or protein does. So it's still a good method if going without anything is too difficult. For some it just is and that's ok.
    I'm thinking about skipping the fats too and just see what happens. Though I've also started lifting, so if something starts to change with my weight loss I won't really know which had an effect. Both I suppose... time will tell
    Very curious to follow your results too.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in July close to the same time I stated IF. I'm pretty sure the lifting slowed down my weight loss, as I did lose inches and clothing sizes since then. My recent lab work came back Tuesday, and my A1c only went from 6.1 to 6.0, so I'm thinking I must be very insulin resistant. I'm kind of hacking to see if I can't get better results.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I started lifting in July close to the same time I stated IF. I'm pretty sure the lifting slowed down my weight loss, as I did lose inches and clothing sizes since then. My recent lab work came back Tuesday, and my A1c only went from 6.1 to 6.0, so I'm thinking I must be very insulin resistant. I'm kind of hacking to see if I can't get better results.

Sounds like a good plan.
    What's your typical total carb and protein intake?
    Real fasting is definitely a good plan for reversing IR.
  • sherryrichie
    Options
    My carbs are set at 5% (17g) and my protein is at 20% (69g). I usually do a pretty good job staying pretty close.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    My carbs are set at 5% (17g) and my protein is at 20% (69g). I usually do a pretty good job staying pretty close.

Great looking macros!
    I hope you get speedy results from the fasting!
  • sherryrichie
    Options
    Thanks. Good luck to you with your lifting and bio hacking!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Thanks. Good luck to you with your lifting and bio hacking!

Thanks! There really is something very enjoyable about this kind of experimenting. Lol
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I cannit face butter in my coffee. I saw this in a French health documentary and I am doing it. I take 2 tabs of oilive oil and the juice and zest of one lemon every morning. My skin looks better and I am sure this is doing me good. The olive oil has to be cold and first pressed - and not a blend of olive oils from various sources. Lemons should be organic, although this morning could not find any in my supermarket and they came from Chile! Why not Spain, Italy or Greece (I am in the UK). I do not like my food to travel too far!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Adding butter and MCT oil in your coffee while you are mid fast kicks you out of your fast which is why weight loss might've been slower. You can add 0 calorie sweetener or drink it black and it will not affect your fast. If you do that for a few weeks I'm sure you will see increased weight loss. Especially if you are working out fasted.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Some people do have an insulin response to artificial sweeteners even though they have no calories, just fyi, it could kick you out of fast if you are sensitive to them.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Some people do have an insulin response to artificial sweeteners even though they have no calories, just fyi, it could kick you out of fast if you are sensitive to them.

That is correct. I never specify because I use natural sweeteners and assume others do as well but it is true that some people use artificial sweeteners and they may have an insulin response. I'm pretty sure I have a response to Splenda.