Low Carb/Weight Loss Friendly Sweetener

Options
MoonKat7
MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
Other than Stevia, what do you use as a sweetener that won't effect your weight loss?

I don't do keto so I don't know much about it, my diet is low carb, low fat high protein and I'm trying to lose weight.

I'm trying to make unsweetened chocolate taste good, Stevia gave a very bad after taste. If there's a certain product you use would appreciate posting a pic of it. Thank you!

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I usually use a mix of stevia and erythritol. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that's indigestible, so most of it is excreted through urine.

On it's own, it has a cool after taste in your mouth, like you ate something minty. I find that when I use half erythritol and half stevia, they balance each other out in terms of the coolness/bitterness.
  • MoonKat7
    Options
    Looking for something different, I did say sweetener but maybe other options, I'm fishing here not sure what I'm looking for yet :)
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like liquid ducts lose.
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sorry meant to say sucralose. Stupid spell checker!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Xylitol is a good one but very toxic to dogs so you have to be cautious if you have dogs
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I also use liquid ducks. ;)
    No really, I can't use any alcohols. Nope, none. So I order liquid sucralose online. No calories, no carbs, no aftertaste.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Atkins recommends sucralose. I personally try to stay away from them as it does spike cravings in me. Once in a while is fine but not too often.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Liquid sucralose for me, only thing that tastes good. No cravings or blood spikes. I use it to sweeten my 90% choc.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Truvia. Almost exclusively. Can't stand stevia.

qrbpg1cp3tre.jpg

• MoonKat7
    Options
    Thank you everyone. The thing is stevia is the only one that doesn't hurt me. I'm looking for more natural sweetener. My current choice which I'll try it fresh berry fruit juice.

I should have explained it more in my post. Sorry!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    MoonKat7 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. The thing is stevia is the only one that doesn't hurt me. I'm looking for more natural sweetener. My current choice which I'll try it fresh berry fruit juice.

I should have explained it more in my post. Sorry!

Fruit juice ain't low carb. :smiley: guess that was the problem. Lol
  • MoonKat7
    Options
    Berries home made. Strawberry is low carb right?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @JessicaLCHF. Isn't Truvia stevia and a blend of that "e" sweetener that I never can remember how to spell? Just found a pack. Erythritol is 1st ingredient. Stevia leaf 2nd ingredient.

@MoonKat7 have you ever tried growing and drying stevia for use since it doesn't bother you.
  • MoonKat7
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @JessicaLCHF. Isn't Truvia stevia and a blend of that "e" sweetener that I never can remember how to spell? Just found a pack. Erythritol is 1st ingredient. Stevia leaf 2nd ingredient.

@MoonKat7 have you ever tried growing and drying stevia for use since it doesn't bother you.

No I haven't thought of that. But wouldn't the after taste be kind of the same?
    I use stevia in my tea but I only use 1/4 TEAspoon. The after taste appeared when I used 1 teaspoon

Is there any low carb healthy syrups?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    MoonKat7 wrote: »
    Berries home made. Strawberry is low carb right?

Probably not in a juiced form...

I don't know the details, but I believe coconut sugar is lower GI than white sugar. So, if you're using real sugar, that may be a better option than fruit juices
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Yes, but the blend makes it palatable. IMO.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My husband bought liquid Splenda yesterday and I had a taste. Not bad, but it left me craving for more. I would rather it be stevia, but stevia has an odd metallic taste in my mouth.
  • Anaaremade
    Anaaremade Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also don't like the taste of stevia, but I combine a small amount with coconut sugar. I also on occasion add 1 date to whatever smoothie I'm going to make. If I'm putting berries in my recipes, I don't use sugar at all. I've been lucky to find sweet raspberries and black berries. I also found a site that has a table of sweeteners and sugars that compares them according to glycemic level, net carbs and calories along with some warnings about the different types.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/06/10/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners