Welcome and Introductions

Options
LepperMessiah1
LepperMessiah1 Posts: 102 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
Hey everyone! What inspired me to first put on a heart rate monitor and see what an hour in VR could do was hearing Joe Rogan wax philosophical about the fitness implications of VR. The notion is that in the future (which is now) gamers will be in amazing physical condition. More to the point, though, is that I've become rather sedentary in the last 6+ months and could stand to lose about 15 lbs. My goal for this is pretty specific; I want to measure the effect that 5-6 hours per week of high intensity exercise in VR can have on weight loss and increased aerobic capacity when coupled with a balanced diet over 50 days. I'll be doing weekly weigh-ins and tracking my calories. The possibility of creating some sort of VR fitness group has also given me a boost of aspiration. The only thing that could make losing weight while doing something I enjoy better is bringing others along for the journey. :)

- Tim

Replies

• waratte
    waratte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I just want to say thanks for creating this group. I'm trying to lose ~30lbs and I'm really lazy when it comes to exercise, but I love VR! No idea what games I'll be playing yet; currently I'm loving Fruit Ninja and Ping Pong Waves VR, but I'm sure I'll find some other ones soon. I'm also tracking calories, but other than that I'm not doing anything else. Can't wait to start this journey with everyone :)
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Feel free to start your own challenge on the group's message board. We'll cheer you along! :smile:
  • Salamande
    Salamande Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey there, thanks for having me.
    Fitness has always been in the back of my mind since I got the Vive, but it wasn't until I started playing Holopoint regularly that I really started to think I could make it a serious part of my regimen. Right now, I'm playing that and Holoball, and those seem to be working pretty well.

Looking forward to getting fit with you folks. By the way, I'm Salamande on Steam.
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    Welcome everyone who came here via the Geek and Sundry article! I'm a little behind on my updates this week, so I will be making a big update today covering Tuesday-Thursday.
  • aaronbevill
    aaronbevill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I started a fitness challenge with my friend and saw an article about this idea. Way better than walking on a treadmill so I thought I'd give it a try. So far so good!
  • LepperMessiah1
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey everyone. I started a fitness challenge with my friend and saw an article about this idea. Way better than walking on a treadmill so I thought I'd give it a try. So far so good!

Good luck to you both! Keep us posted!
  • NachoKingP
    NachoKingP Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I read about this challenge and it motivated me to try something like it myself! I'm trying to lose a lot of weight, so this will be a good way to get it going!
  • Cabrill
    Cabrill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm a college student who has an HTC Vive and a desire to lose some weight while enjoying it. I'm also running three times a week, so the VR gaming exercise won't be isolated in effectiveness, but I plan on trying to schedule in half an hour of VR gaming every night to really kick the burn into overdrive..
  • bizzargin
    bizzargin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Fresh new VR'er here (now broken controller tho :() and looking forward to trying this kind of challenge.

Looking for me on steam my handle is BEEFcurtain

Cheers!

B
  • cibiou
    cibiou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I was very annoyed when my partner brought back the HTC Vive at home last month, which I though was just a very expensive gadget...but I have to admit I was amazed...I'm not a gamer but I though I could use it as a fitness tool and that's how I found this experience.
    Being pretty lazy and quite busy (and hating the idea of going to the gym), my "challenge" is to have 5 sessions of 1/2h per week for a month and I'll start as soon as I find the time to get Audioshield...I don't expect to lose much weight but I hope I'll be fitter and more energized.

I'm looking for some suggestions of games/activities in VR that would be good for my purpose (the ones my partner got are way too "geeky" for my taste...)

Cheers!
  • mcoppola07
    mcoppola07 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've had the Vive for about 3 months now. In that time, I've lost about 20 pounds. That's without making any changes to my diet (which, in its current state, is not good). Still, it makes me wonder just how much weight I could lose if I dedicate myself to a workout program like this instead of just playing it every other day. I'm sure changing my diet will have the most impact though.

I'm gonna be starting this 50-day challenge soon. Just need to get some more materials (sweat band, HRM, etc.) and the will to not be a picky eater for once in my life. I'm hovering around 235 right now, I'm looking to get down to around 190. Obviously losing 45 pounds will take a little longer than 50 days, but I know the challenge will make for a great start.

Also if anybody would like to add me on Steam, my username is PastaDelFuego.
  • smallfry101play
    Options
    Hey everybody! I got the vive late last month and have been absolutely blown away by it. I saw this challenge in my recommended feed and thought how cool of an idea it was to use the vive as a workout. I'm joining this group to encourage all who take the challenge and pick up some fitness ideas for myself. I look forward to taking this challenge with you all! :)
  • r00tuzr
    r00tuzr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Just read the article on vrscout. And decided to take the challenge. I don't have time to do 1 hour a night so I'm doing 30 mins. 10 min warmup with fruit ninja and then 20 in holopoint.
    Day 1 done!!
  • VRHockey
    VRHockey Posts: 62 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I got my Vive on Friday and after spending ~30 minutes in the Lab's archery game I knew I could find a good workout from using it, if not make my own. Glad to see a well balanced one was already created.
    Personally, I'm looking to lose quite a bit of weight. I'm about 230 or so right now and at 6' 1" it isn't horrible but I miss looking like I did when I got out of boot. This year I had my appendix almost blow up and within 3 weeks of me feeling able to exercise again, I broke my ankle. I am still unable to run and so standard cardio has been tough to accomplish this year but I feel confident with VR that this obstacle is easily overcome. I plan to lose ~60 pounds, which I know might take a while, I determined to make it work.

Edit: Just weighed myself, I'm about 210 so that even less I need to do to get to my goal of 170!
  • spongyruler
    spongyruler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Saw this challenge on reddit and thought it sounded like a good way to get fit. After one day, I'm already sore. Joined the group with the hope that it will keep me motivated. I'd like to lose 60 pounds. I know it's not all about exercise (I almost typed exervive...), and I need to eat better too.
  • TheBoa1
    TheBoa1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Saw this challenge on reddit and thought it sounded like a good way to get fit. After one day, I'm already sore. Joined the group with the hope that it will keep me motivated. I'd like to lose 60 pounds. I know it's not all about exercise (I almost typed exervive...), and I need to eat better too.

That's awesome! I love the feeling of being sore after a good exervive session!!! You should start a thread with your stats so we can all follow your progress and help you all along the way.
  • spongyruler
    spongyruler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TheBoa1 wrote: »
    Hello,

That's awesome! I love the feeling of being sore after a good exervive session!!! You should start a thread with your stats so we can all follow your progress and help you all along the way.

I might do that.
  • mantis4334
    mantis4334 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, amazing idea using VR to lose weight. Im only looking to drop 20lbs or so. Anyone tested GORN as far as calorie burn?
  • 360rumors
    360rumors Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I was inspired to lose weight by leppermessiah's post. I use Thrill of the Fight for exercise. I'm hoping to learn the right way to use it to lose weight (heart rate, duration, etc.). I'm at 180 and want to come down to 160 and maintain it.

Best regards,
    Mic
  • LepperMessiah1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    mantis4334 wrote: »
    Hi all, amazing idea using VR to lose weight. Im only looking to drop 20lbs or so. Anyone tested GORN as far as calorie burn?

Hello and welcome! :)

I played Gorn for about 10 minutes... my laughter definitely had my abdominals burning, so that had to burn some calories, right? ;)

I would definitely suggest trying Sword Master VR.