Veggies - Top 3 Recipes?

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
Posting on the newbie thread made me realize how passionate I am about veggies. I have certain recipes I use all the time and love. I'm sure you do too? Can you share them? I'd love to try some new ways to fix my carbs (veggies).

My three favorites are:

Green beans sautéed in bacon drippings with a pinch of curry powder

Zucchini boiled, drained, and mixed with butter, nutmeg, and S+P

Asparagus with béarnaise sauce (I use the store pkt but I make it with heavy cream and butter)

What are your favorite things re: vegetables?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    mushrooms and broccoli or cauliflower sauteed in coconut oil with paprika, tumeric, and cumin
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this because I like most veggies plain.

I LOVE Brussels sprouts that are blanched and then pan fried in butter until the cut side is brown.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Mmmm
    Sautéed mushrooms and peppers.

Salt and pepper grilled asparagus

"Steamed" zucchini and onion off the grill!! This one I think is my current favorite make a foil packet filled with sliced zucchini and onions drizzle with olive oil and place a few slaps of butter in there and season as you please. Plain salt and pepper for me! The best especially with a yummy steak!!!
  • Cadori
    Options
    Ooh! Zoodles with pesto!
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Roasted Asparagus with bacon pieces and sea salt!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Ooh! Zoodles with pesto!

I think I'm going to have to try this one tonight!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Roasted Brussels sprouts or Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon

Zucchini cut into match sticks and quickly sautéed with almonds that have been browned in butter
    https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/08/quick-zucchini-saute/

Roasted broccoli, maybe with a cheese sauce made of 1 part heavy cream, 2 parts cheese
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Zoodles with roasted mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and cheese sauce. And bacon. Don't forget the bacon.

In South Africa we have something called Gem Squash, little round squashes. A little high in carbs (10g for a whole squash), but delicious steamed, with some melted butter and granular sweetener in them.

And roasted radishes, thanks to Sabine. :smile:

• collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Gotta go with roasted asparagus with dill, butter or olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. The wife made the cauliflower gratin with tons of black pepper. Awesome. Roasted squash with salt, pepper, dill, garlic, and melt some Parmesan on top.
  • jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just got into Bok choy (very low carb) sautéed with avocado oil with mushrooms, garlic and ginger and spray with brag aminos!! Add siracha!! Yummy and filling:)
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    jtkatch wrote: »
    Just got into Bok choy (very low carb) sautéed with avocado oil with mushrooms, garlic and ginger and spray with brag aminos!! Add siracha!! Yummy and filling:)

Interesting! That's one veggie I've never attempted. What is brag aminos? Do you chop the bok choy first?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    zoodles. also just made this version of alfredo sauce last night and it turned out well. I will definitely make it again. Most store bought jars of alfredo somehow manage to sneak in too many carbs.

http://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/decadent-low-carb-alfredo-sauce/
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aspargus in parmaham
    Steamed broccoli with butter and thinly sliced garlic
    Roasted cauliflower seasoned with youghurt and spices
    Macho peas (green peas steamed, half mushed with a fork and mixed with crushed mint leaves, chilli and garlic and a knob of butter)
    Stuffed mushrooms with seasoned beef mince or tomato sauce, topped with cheese and a dash of hot sauce
    Aubergine (egg plant) halved, scoop out the insides and sautée in butter with spices and beef, refill the halfs and top with cheese, bake in the oven for 20 mins yummy
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Asparagus in butter with blue cheese crumbles or Green beans in herb butter w/bacon and pepper flakes.
  • Cadori
    Options

I made these Sunday morning for breakfast with fried eggs and sausage because of her post. It was wonderful!

• JessicaLCHF
    Options

I made these Sunday morning for breakfast with fried eggs and sausage because of her post. It was wonderful!

Where is this recipe?! I tried radishes once and it was a dismal failure.
  • Cadori
    Options

Where is this recipe?! I tried radishes once and it was a dismal failure.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10457564/roasted-radishes-im-in-vegetable-heaven#latest

They're juicier and not as mealy as potatoes and I had to cook them for 20 minutes, but they were easy and tasty. I cooked spinach/garlic/fontaina chicken sausage that I sliced up and served with the radishes and then two over-easy fried eggs on top.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's hard to pick just three but here are three that I particularly enjoy.

Swiss chard with onion, feta, and walnuts

Roast chopped up chard stems (I use rainbow or red) and onion in a little olive oil. Then add the chopped chard leaves and chopped walnuts and top with fresh ground pepper and salt. Sprinkle feta on top shortly before you take it out of the oven.

Curry roasted cauliflower

Mix curry powder in some Greek yogurt. Use this mixture to coat a fresh, whole head of cauliflower, then roast it.

Sauteed kale, bell peppers, and grape tomatoes

Chop the kale, peppers (I hate green so I use red, orange, and/or yellow) and tomatoes (you could use cherry tomatoes but I prefer grape). Saute in olive oil, garlic, and some crushed red pepper and salt. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan and Romano cheese.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    COLLARDS. Cook in chicken broth (or water), smoked turkey leg (or ham hock), sliced or chopped onion. I add Texas Pete.
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Twice baked cauliflower! Mashed cauliflower with butter and cheddar cheese mixed together, then baked in a ramekin topped with a little more cheddar and some bacon bits.

Creamed spinach. Just spinach and sour cream with a touch of parmesan cheese.

Green beans with bacon bits and a dressing made from the bacon grease: grease plus vinegar plus a touch of stevia, salt and pepper.