Goad on the Run - Monday 9/26

Options
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

QotD: Music on the run. What are you listening to right now? Favorite songs that help you run? No headphones because nature provides the only soundtrack that you need?

Replies

• jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Got in 3ish mi. on Saturday on the indoor track and 2.5 mi this AM outdoors after no running since last Monday.

QotD: Right now, I have two self created iHeart radio stations that I vacillate between, a TobyMac one for more energetic beats and Mat Kearney for when I am feeling more mellow and light. I keep thinking I will create some playlists at some point to eliminate the chance for a song that I am not feeling, but that has not happened yet.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have classic GotR cross training on tap for this evening: gotta cut the grass and pick up leaves (because I've been ignoring that job way too long!).

I usually listen to podcasts on longer runs and music on shorter runs. Probably 10% of my runs are without ear candy. Current fave podcasts are Planet Money and This American Life. Favorite music . . . jeez, hard to say. I have an eclectic mix on my phone and like to create custom playlists before a run or workout. Lots of alternative and 90s, but plenty of classics mixed in. I rarely have a workout playlist that doesn't include at least one track by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    For any activity outside, nature provides the only soundtrack I need. Plus, from a safety standpoint, I really want to be aware of what is sneaking up behind me.

However, for any cardio machines indoors, music is essential. I have an eclectic mix of mostly 70's and 80's classic rock along with some random newer songs. I do have a couple of different playlists, one of which has some really upbeat music picks from a friend that help when I'm gearing up for a race. Another playlist has generally faster paced songs good for the treadmill. Then there is the playlist with a mix of fast and slow for when I want to zone out on the stationary bike.

I do listen to podcasts (This American Life, Science Friday, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and Fresh Air) but that is when I'm driving around.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    >Favorite songs that help you run?

Absolute favorite running jam. There is no run so ugh that this song can't make it better. Like any fine work of art, each encounter reveals some previously unnoticed detail.

If running faster is the aim, these two must be in the mix:

https://youtu.be/SBjQ9tuuTJQ

https://youtu.be/jQvUBf5l7Vw
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Calf seems to be doing OK after last night's test mile. Plan to run again tomorrow, and try to two miles.

I don't exercise outside and use music. When on the treadmill at home, the ipod shuffle has a good mix of 70's classic rock, and a good mix of Funk/Disco! Yep, I have to admit it, I like the Bee Gees. There, I said it! Sigh....
    I graduated high school in 1978, just at the height of disco. Disco Inferno (Trammps), and Flashlight (Parliament) are among my favorites.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @shenry111 - Stayin' Alive is on my playlist too! I graduated high school in 1979.
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'll listen to music when I'm running alone. I graduated high school in 1977. I like to listen to Journey, most country, blues & lately Run-DMC. I'm late to rap, but it keeps me moving.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have not been listening to music for a couple of years at least. Nothing against it really. I usually run with the DW and am required by all the laws that are holy to listen to her every word.