Just a rant!

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
Just needed to vent a bit.
Not LCHF

I am not looking for sympathy, just needed to vent a bit. So for months I have struggled to sleep, so after med failure 1 which had no effect my doctor put me on Citalopram. Fine, it helps but not 100% and the side effects are rather not pleasant. As of this week I am on 40mg a day which is the max dose. Slightly too little salt in my food and I am vomiting like a pro as the nausea gets so bad, so my Doctors response is to put me on anti nausea medication (cyclizine 50mg up to 3 times a day) which makes me worry about getting the keto flu in case it masks the symptoms. I have already done the full bloodworks that I will get the results from next week.

I am now over 5000 in sodium daily, but it appears that it is too little still as I am seriously nauseated, either from too little salt still or the meds. Who knows at this point? My water is down from a min of two litres a day to a litre as I simply want none.

So in short, thank you for listening, guess I am upset that my meds are causing me to feel sick and the cure is more meds, not less, and to really rub it in, I received my NHS health check questionaire today, which is seriously anti LCHF that just tipped me over the edge.

Grrr just feeling crap today.

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's your meds causing the nausea and not your lack of sodium. Confused about this statement "worried about getting the keto flu in case it masks the symptons". Keto flu is the manifestation of the symptoms of not getting enough electrolytes. If you are nauseous it could be from keto flu or it could be from your meds. Increase all of your electrolytes, it sounds like your sodium is fine. That should alleviate keto flu. If nausea remains, it's your meds. And continue to drink water!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my sodium well over five grand to ward off the flu.... We're all special snowflakes.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    better living through chemistry
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's the citalopram. I know that and another similar medication had that effect on me. I know it's easy for me to say and much harder to put into practice but take it easy over the next week or so. As your body gets used to it you won't feel like eating and you'll be lacking in energy. Be kind to yourself and rest a little while until you get back to normal.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time. The keto flu, in my experience, only lasted 3-4 days, it seems like you've been suffering for longer than that. It angers me a little that doctors just prescribe, prescribe, prescribe without really picking through your nutrition (I'm assuming) to see if it's an allergy or what (dairy or possibly wheat?). Then of course all the medications on top of that could be disagreeing with one another, who knows? You may have to stop meds and then very slowly re-introduce them to find the culprit. Then if it's not the medication I'd be going to see a nutritionalist to get help with pin pointing what it could be.

I hope things get better for you soon :(
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    better living through chemistry

typical modern doctors, pills for the symptoms and then more pills to cure the side effects of the pills that were first prescribed... where does it end?!?

Sorry you are having problems Bonnie - have you tried low doses of melatonin to help with the sleep problems? I have heard (cannot find the reference right now) that small doses (less than 5mg are better than most of the mega-doses that the current sleep-aids contain.

eta - because spelling...
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's the citalopram. I know that and another similar medication had that effect on me. I know it's easy for me to say and much harder to put into practice but take it easy over the next week or so. As your body gets used to it you won't feel like eating and you'll be lacking in energy. Be kind to yourself and rest a little while until you get back to normal.

Ouch - yea it looks like the #1 side effect is nausea, and vomiting is listed as common too:

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/citalopram-side-effects.html
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand where you're coming from and I'm terribly sorry it's flared up so badly for you right now. I hope the balance is figured out soon and you get to feeling better.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bummer. I was hoping your doc visit would give answers, remedy, positive results.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies.
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Bummer. I was hoping your doc visit would give answers, remedy, positive results.

Well my Dr visit and subsequent revisit today did give answers, just not the ones I was looking for. Side effects and another prescription and an explanation that once they settle, that any low electrolytes will make them come back with a vengeance.

So have ordered myself supplements.
    Just do not like the "oh so you feel worse than before we upped your meds? Let's give you more tablets" attitude.
    Hence my rant as I just needed to get it out!
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies.
    kpk54 wrote: »

Well my Dr visit and subsequent revisit today did give answers, just not the ones I was looking for. Side effects and another prescription and an explanation that once they settle, that any low electrolytes will make them come back with a vengeance.

So have ordered myself supplements.
    Just do not like the "oh so you feel worse than before we upped your meds? Let's give you more tablets" attitude.
    Hence my rant as I just needed to get it out!

Almost makes me think we were better off before modern medicine ;) Here's hoping the supplements do the trick!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    By "answer" I was meaning- you have this projectile vomiting because... Perhaps that may surface when your test results come in...next week. Unfortunate long time to wait. Vent away. :(
  • Bonny132
    Options
    The rather not so sexy projectile vomiting is still very much present. My doctor seems quite convinced it is due to the side effects, as apparently vomiting and nausea is not unusual. But as I had all my blood work done last week, something might still show up.

Who knew you could trade a good nights sleep for projectile vomiting huh?