Living the Lifestyle - Wednesday, 9/28/16

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Today's topic: Halloween candy

It seems the Halloween candy comes out at the stores earlier and earlier every year. The last couple, tales told at my WW meeting at least a month before the actual day are from people struggling not to eat it. Based on much of the discussion at the meeting, Halloween is often a real challenge for many trying to lose weight. It occurred to me it's also probably a month-long 'event' that cues up the next generation of obese kids and thus, the cycle continues.

What's your history with Halloween? How do you handle it now that you're losing or maintaining weight? Have you made any changes in the way you treat today's kids based on your weight loss objectives or experience?

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Used to handout candy but now turn out the lights and don't answer the door.

We used to send candy to our grandkids for various holidays until we were there visiting and found a LARGE stash of candy that was never opened. Found out our son and DIL strictly control the amount of candy, sugar, snacks and general carp we were sending.

Made me realize that all three of my now adult sons never got to obese stage probably because they saw their Dad as a bad example. I NEVER smoked but both my parents did. Sometimes children learn to go "the other way" when a parent sets a bad example.

Not to high jack today's LTL Topic but isn't Halloween just the beginning of the Holiday eating season? Next will be how do WWers handle Thanksgiving, Christmas, or "Holidays", New Years, Super Bowl etc etc,

Oh hell there are overeating opportunities every month, week, day hour!!!
  • Kramti386
    Kramti386 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There is no sidewalk on my side of the road, so rarely do kids come it. In the rare chance that they do, I will buy the Wendy's frosty coupon book. That way there candy is not in the house. They usually expire by the end of December. I'm not going to start to eat paper now so I'm sort of safe.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,976 Member
    Options
    We haven't handed out treats for years. DW and I used to take the occasion to take several days driving down the Oregon Coast. Now that DS and family, including to young grandchildren, have moved back to town, we might have to rethink.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,023 Member
    Options
    I don't find Halloween candy to be much of a draw. I don't mean to say that I'm a candy snob, or anything like that, but there's just not that much that seems so awesome to me that I am overly-enticed.

Regarding how my own weight-management impacts on our approach to Halloween, I hope it doesn't. We still give out big handfuls of candy to the kids who come by, and love seeing the excitement in their faces and the great costumes that they come up with. I'd hate to ruin that excitement by giving out toothbrushes! Plus, it's always helpful to remember that it's once a year!
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I buy candy the weekend before Halloween and stick it in the closet. I open the bags Halloween day. I also usually buy things I don't like, but kids love, like gummy style candies or caramels. I hate stuff that sticks to my teeth. I try to stay away from buying the chocolate. Even though Halloween candy is usually the cheapest form of chocolate, I'll still eat it. It makes me feel bad in triplicate - it's not that good, I wasted calories on it and I probably won't make any progress in my fitness efforts the week I screw up by eating it.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    This just isn't a challenge to me. Although I'm thankful my wife likes Reese's PB cups and I detest them. Plus, when you buy the bag of mixed candy that has PB cups in it, everything takes on that odor, so none of it is particularly appealing. About the only item in that collection I like and the peanut odor doesn't permeate is the little M&M bags. Sometimes we'll have a few of those left and I eat them, one bag a time. But since they're the 'personal' size, it's not a real issue.

On the treats 'handouts' we offer a choice between candy, goldfish, pretzels, skinny-pop and, applesauce. Candy remains the most popular choice (without question) but we are amazed by the number of kids who excitedly choose popcorn and goldfish (less so on the pretzels and applesauce, but we get takers of these too). Because we keep the small packages of all of these on hand anyway, no issue if they're leftover and it's nice to be able to offer a choice. Since candy is just a part of Halloween, I can't see not offering it. It's a choice.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I used to deny myself candy all month long and then binge on Halloween and feel terrible. Now when October hits I buy a few of my favorites and portion them out. It works like a charm. I'm one of those weird people who actually does like candy corn so once October hits I fully plan on combining candy corn with candy corn M&Ms for a daily treat (I refuse to buy the candy in September because I think extending the holiday season makes it feel less special).
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Halloween is probably my favorite holiday. There is practically no work involved on my part and I thoroughly enjoy seeing the kids and their costumes, and the parents and pets that accompany them. I even enjoy the older kids that come by later in the evening! I buy lots of candy, give as much out as possible, eat some (Almond Joys), and take what is left to work the next day. We tend to give our grandchildren toys and non-food items. Their parents have enough junk to deal with without us adding to the haul.

I don't see Halloween as having that much to do with the obesity epidemic. It is one day, and, at least in our neighborhood, the kids are out walking and interacting with their community, which is a good thing.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,595 Member
    Options
    We hand out candy. We don't buy it till just before the day. And as the evening goes on we become very generous to get rid of it as much as possible.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    DW buys way too much candy, then we have just a few trick-or-treaters at the door, and then we eat way too much of the leftover crap.

True story.

I should be more mindful.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I will have to come up with a strategy for this Halloween since I ended up eating anything that is left over in years gone by. Hadn't even thought about it until this LTL thread.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've expanded a bit on this in my blog. (Hey...it's been a really long time since a shameless plug):

https://countcurtblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/28/its-the-toughest-job-youll-ever-love/
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was infamous for buying Halloween candy early and nibbling on it for weeks beforehand. We used to tease her about needing the Halloween excuse to have a stash on hand. She'd say "they'll be coming!"
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    Yes we had this discussion at WW meeting. One lady has a special bowl she sets out at Halloween filled with something at work. She is thinking a lot about what she might put in it.

Last year we didn't buy halloween candy or hand it out and did have s few kids wander by in the neighborhood. We don't have many if any young kids on our block these days.
    Our WW meeting will collect unused candy and send it to the troops overseas so that is one option.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Candy snob is ok by me. I can go for a short walk in any direction from home and get candy from all over the world. Halloween candy is kid candy. Not worth the points. Some of it is out and out lousy candy.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    I've expanded a bit on this in my blog. (Hey...it's been a really long time since a shameless plug):

https://countcurtblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/28/its-the-toughest-job-youll-ever-love/

I liked the job analogy I'm retired but when I had a job I got weekends off!
    Yes you're right we all have to get up every day and "go to work".
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The appearance of Halloween candy used to signal the start of my annual fall weight gain. I could not keep my hands out the candy dishes at work.

I eventually stopped that behavior. While we get some trick or treaters in our neighborhood, my DH doesn't buy the candy until a day or two before. And he gets stuff that he knows I don't care for. Any leftovers are taken to the retirement community where I work to be put in the candy dish that is upstairs at the concierge desk for visitors. I come in the back entrance so I rarely ever see that candy dish.
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    We grew up with the guidance to 'take one' but of course the opportunity to haul in the loot was strong, even though the 'neighborhood' was a few houses out in the country. It was just one of the lures for me toward candy at a young age.

Fast forward a few decades and for various reasons, for the most part I didn't enjoy the holiday. It did make a good excuse to buy the candy, but then I ate most of what I bought. It was almost an internal running joke. I'll buy it for the kids...sure that's what I'll say. Of course, it was usually available at work too so I made it that much worse.

The last few years, still living out in the country, we don't encourage the kids (though there are very few anyway). I have stopped buying the candy altogether, for this occasion or any of those in the next few months (right you are, @Jimb376mfp ).

Sitting in my WW meeting a couple years ago listening to the challenges Halloween was giving other meeting members, it really struck me how the candy-eating behavior / frenzy would not be something I would want to encourage in my kids--if I had any. In fact, on reflection, I would want to encourage something much healthier so those fictitious kids did not end up in WW later in life. 'Enjoy in moderation'; I think that's the direction I'd lean. Back to the way my folks did it. That was a good lesson; it just took me a long time to realize it.
  • minimyzeme
    edited September 2016
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »

@countcurt , I appreciate the work analogy too. I'm also keenly aware of how much more challenging making these decisions multiple times a day, day in and day out might become over the years. Good perspective; thanks.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I buy the candy on the evening before we pass it out, sometimes on the day we pass it out. I know I will be tempted with it in the house. But I still like to buy lots and mostly stuff I know both DH and I like, even though we do not plan to consume more than 1-3 fun size pcs. that evening. The next day I take what is left to work.

I have not changed what we give out, I really loved Halloween as a youngster and I think it is fine to pass out candy to kids. Most kids can manage candy fine...it's adults who have issues :)

Chocolate is my biggest challenge food wise so Halloween or not, I am always tempted if it near by and I am always managing how I deal with it. Mostly I keep it away from me.