Don't be shy. I know it's not just me. I've looked it up.

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I think hydration is a big part of this. My wife has what I have always referred to as a bionic nose because she can smell a skunk in the next town over from us. I am only slightly exaggerating here. The only time I have any issues with odor is when I don't drink my normal amount of water. The 1/2 oz per lb of body weight @RalfLott mentioned above is a minimum for someone who does not exercise or sweat much. As an active person, I generally drink closer to 3/4 oz or more of water per lb of body weight. That does not include coffee, tea or any other drinks I may have. That is just water.
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OMG I'M GLAD I READ THIS! I def know this WOE can make you breath smell horrible and I always have a metallic taste in my mouth but I have been noticing that my deodorant seems to wear off much faster now. At first I thought I just had a bad stick of deodorant. I had no clue this way of eating can make you more potent. Its not too bad but its just something i have slowly started to notice. No one has ever told me I was smelly.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @bowlerae if you have any reading at all with your ketostix then you're doing fine :) Not all people have these reactions, and sometimes the reactions stop after your body gets used to it.

OP - Pee is definitely stronger but I don't notice any difference with BO. I use secrets baby powder antiperspirant and dab a little body shop mango perfume on me every morning and I think I smell ok. I read that antiperspirant is best because it stops the sweat from happening in the first place. If you have hair in your armpits applying conditioner to it in the shower after washing will help keep it smelling nice. If you are sweating a lot you can also reapply your antiperspirant or deodorant and apply a little talc powder, the powder will help absorb the sweat until you can hop in the shower.

Don't apply talc powder to your bikini area though.. it's been linked to ovarian cancer. Idk how true it is but I don't risk it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not doing keto right! I'm getting medium-dark readings on my ketostix even while drinking plenty of water. But I have never experienced Keto flu, bad breath or bad body odor...or at least no one has told me. The smell of my pee is a little bit stronger though.

I never had any of those either. I do wonder if it has more to do with protein consumption or even different types of detoxing... ???
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I actually started having so little odor that I stopped using typical deodorant and only use one made with coconut oil, sodium bicarbonate and beeswax. No actual deodorant or anti perspirant at all. Most days I don't even need it. Just when it's hot.

That is not fair. I'm happy for you, though. :wink:

I had already noticed a decrease in sweaty odor before going to the natural product which is also why I felt comfortable making the switch...
    I haven't watched this video, but reading her ideas about detoxing and how using the commercial products actually add to the odor causing toxification made me want to try switching.
    I can say that my results were exactly on par with how she had described it would be upon switching to using the natural product. I'm assuming she describes all that in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxwEuld-Hs#action=share
    Anyway, maybe you'd be interested as well..
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am constantly chewing gum and gargling with mouthwash as the breath smell of "OMG something must have died in my mouth" makes me quite conscious of it. BO is fine, just sniffed my armpits in the public rest room just to make sure. My pee definitely smells stronger though even when well hydrated, so have been using pocket size hygiene wipes just because I am a bit aware of it. I have not had any complaints but now I wonder if I stink and nobody has told me, and because I am used to it, I don't notice it myself. I guess my SO will get the weird request of doing the sniff test on me tonight. Well he did say he is open minded lol!
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My workouts burn right through my deodorant. I keep a stick at work now just in case I need to reapply during the day :)
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    One thing that stood out for me in that video is that using coconut oil in the sweaty parts can abate the odor. Did I get that right?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    One thing that stood out for me in that video is that using coconut oil in the sweaty parts can abate the odor. Did I get that right?

I got the impression throughout this video that "Miss Trina" wasn't quite sure what she was saying and was reading most of it versus just looking at some notes for a prompt. I'm thinking she communicated something to the effect of MCTs/coconut oil (as food) end up being excreted through the skin and contain bacteria eating qualities so if one is washing with harsh soaps and such, one is stripping away these natural bacteria-eating body oils. But truthfully...I'm not sure. :p
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the armpits - I have days where I skip the deodorant all together - but my pee is much stronger and my wife and daughter won't come near me when I come home from a vigorous workout because of the sweat odor.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    My fiance has been telling me my armpits stink. I've been in ketosis for around 6 weeks. I already knew my breath was gross, but now my armpits and "lower region" are "spicy" smelling. I already use Mitchum 48 hour deodorant and have very good hygiene. I start stinking quickly after showering and applying deoderant. I even sprayed cologne on my pits after my shower this morning. Please tell me this will go away. Pretty, pretty please.

This is my biggest issue with this WOE. I can't STAND the smell of keto pee! It stinks and honestly makes me feel gross. :( I also noticed my armpits smelling BAD and I was someone who armpits rarely stank. I changed deodorant to that's clinical strength Certain Dry It works great!

Same here. I used to easily be able to skip a day, no problem. Now if I shower and don't immediately deodorize, my husband is telling me I stink within an hour. Sigh.
  • jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Not a problem, no breath change and no heavy deoderant needed for me.....I do keep up my water and electrolyte intake every day, and didnt get the "Keto Flu".....
    curious if others are doing the same.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I had to stop using deodorants with antiperspirants. My keto-stank mixed with the antiperspirants to create a bizarre chemical reaction that turned the armpits of my shirts a funky bright yellow color. Not over time because of buildup on the shirt. Like by the next wash... :confounded:

So I switched to the Arm&Hammer Deodorant. I had to reapply but it worked pretty well.
    Over time I had to apply less. After 2 months, I'd say, if I had to guess a time frame. Of course, once you lose weight, you often feel like moving more, which makes you sweat more. So I still sweat a lot, I just no longer have to worry about knocking myself out when I lift an arm. :smirk:

Honestly, I think it's the antiperspirants that are part of the whole BO problem. They prevent your body from doing what it needs to do, so the body fights back against it. I chose to quit using antiperspirants and as a result, don't need deodorant as much anymore. I generally just use coconut oil with some essential oils, which seems to work just fine for typical days (ultra hot or sweaty days are a different story).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    My fiance has been telling me my armpits stink. I've been in ketosis for around 6 weeks. I already knew my breath was gross, but now my armpits and "lower region" are "spicy" smelling. I already use Mitchum 48 hour deodorant and have very good hygiene. I start stinking quickly after showering and applying deoderant. I even sprayed cologne on my pits after my shower this morning. Please tell me this will go away. Pretty, pretty please.

This is my biggest issue with this WOE. I can't STAND the smell of keto pee! It stinks and honestly makes me feel gross. :( I also noticed my armpits smelling BAD and I was someone who armpits rarely stank. I changed deodorant to that's clinical strength Certain Dry It works great!

Same here. I used to easily be able to skip a day, no problem. Now if I shower and don't immediately deodorize, my husband is telling me I stink within an hour. Sigh.

@JessicaLCHF - I wonder if this has to do with the actual burning of fats. For a while, while I was moving my office between locations, I would get this itchy as all get out rash that felt like a low level sunburn on my arms, face, neck, exposed skin, basically. I was trying to figure out how on earth I was getting sunburned...

Then it occurred to me, that it was generally when I got warm or was physical. Turned out I was burning fats, and they were being partially processed and released through my skin, and it was just enough to be like a low level sweat that I didn't notice when it was happening. If I do a quick wipe down with witch hazel - and then if still...residual, a quick rub of coconut oil, there's no itch, no burn, no rash, no stink... I don't know if the witch hazel neutralized things or what, but it really helped... Just something as a thought for "quick pinch hit" kind of days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    I had to stop using deodorants with antiperspirants. My keto-stank mixed with the antiperspirants to create a bizarre chemical reaction that turned the armpits of my shirts a funky bright yellow color. Not over time because of buildup on the shirt. Like by the next wash... :confounded:

So I switched to the Arm&Hammer Deodorant. I had to reapply but it worked pretty well.
    Over time I had to apply less. After 2 months, I'd say, if I had to guess a time frame. Of course, once you lose weight, you often feel like moving more, which makes you sweat more. So I still sweat a lot, I just no longer have to worry about knocking myself out when I lift an arm. :smirk:

Honestly, I think it's the antiperspirants that are part of the whole BO problem. They prevent your body from doing what it needs to do, so the body fights back against it. I chose to quit using antiperspirants and as a result, don't need deodorant as much anymore. I generally just use coconut oil with some essential oils, which seems to work just fine for typical days (ultra hot or sweaty days are a different story).

I've been using a formula made by a friend with a love of natural products and aromatherapy stuff, and her formula uses arrowroot powder, coconut oil, shea butter, and I think a few other things in that arena with essential oils - but it is making my clothes get oil in the pit area! It was causing me such frustration that I stopped using it for a bit and went back to my old poison. @Dragonwolf - how do you combat the natural oiliness of that situation?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I am very aware of odors and I constantly check myself for the exact same things everyone is mentioning here. I'm weird, but lucky I guess. Nothing seems different as far as bodily smells go...and I assure you, my very honest kids would tell me! I do notice a metallic taste in my mouth in the mornings but my teeth don't seem to get that build up overnight that they used to get. Urine may or may not have a smell depending on what I drink. The more water, the less concentrated the less odor. A day filled with diet soda and it smells pretty bad.
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed the pits, but I also use certain dri like genmon00, and that stuff works amazing!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I think I'm ok on BO because last week we went out of town for the night...I used the hotel gym, took a shower and then realized I didn't pack either mine or my husband's deodorant. Anyhow I got through the evening and all the next day smelling ok.

Keto breath is another matter. I have to really make myself drink stuff because I'm naturally a not very thirsty person and when I don't drink enough I have keto breath for sure. Also the urine.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I am very aware of odors and I constantly check myself for the exact same things everyone is mentioning here. I'm weird, but lucky I guess. Nothing seems different as far as bodily smells go...and I assure you, my very honest kids would tell me! I do notice a metallic taste in my mouth in the mornings but my teeth don't seem to get that build up overnight that they used to get. Urine may or may not have a smell depending on what I drink. The more water, the less concentrated the less odor. A day filled with diet soda and it smells pretty bad.

Me too! My teeth always feel squeaky clean. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not doing keto right! I'm getting medium-dark readings on my ketostix even while drinking plenty of water. But I have never experienced Keto flu, bad breath or bad body odor...or at least no one has told me. The smell of my pee is a little bit stronger though.

Hmm. How's the taste?