Primary Care Physician

Options
RowdysLady
RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
So I've not had a PCP in about 18 years or so now. I figure, since I've changed my WOE so much, I probably should go see someone finally. If I've needed care I've just always used online services or quick care. I've only had blood drawn when insurance companies require it for new carriers at a new job.

So on Nov 2nd I go see an actual PCP for the first time in nearly 2 decades. I'm thinking very seriously about going on a vitamin fast between now and then to see what's real.

As many already know I had gastric bypass in 2003 and because of that don't absorb vitamins (and fats) from food the way others do. I occasionally "quit" my vitamins simply because I get really really tired of taking so freaking many of them but I always go back after about 3 weeks or so.

I would love to know, now that I'm Keto, what my vitamin levels look like without them. Of course the doc will have full disclosure of my WOE, surgical history and my vitamin fast. And of course, if I start feeling the effects of them missing, I'll take them again.

Whatcha think?

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I would get one just for the yearly wellness check - they are free with most insurance companies. I like having a yearly update on my weight, blood pressure, and lipid panels all in one place on the providers website. It's pretty cool that in the US you can just log in to their site and pull all that data yourself if you want to. In Canada they don't have that option and we would have to ask for printed copies for yourself if you wanted them.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that as long as you aren't going to have killer side effects from stopping them that a "vitamin" fast as such sounds like a great way to go about this, but honestly, I would call the doctor's office and ask. Withdrawal or sudden stopping of supplements can cause other reactions, as well... I would just call, say you're coming in for an initial test, and you've been supplementing to symptom and as you were taught with your original surgery, and you'd like confirmation that stopping everything non-essential won't skew test results, but will give you the best clear starting point etc. :)
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    calling is a good idea. Thanks @KnitOrMiss. I've stopped before - all these years I get soooo tired of taking them that I just quit occasionally. Kinda like the way I quit logging my foods - I just got so tired of it. I know I'll go back to it soon enough. The only issues I ever had with supplements is right after my surgery I didn't get enough B12 and wound up giving myself an injection because oral wasn't efficient yet. Eventually I was able to stop them and go back to oral. It's easy to tell when my B12 is deficient because I can't walk right - I start tripping for no apparent reason...kinda scary but easy to diagnose.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do the vitamin fast. If you are going to have your blood work checked, you should have it checked in your normal state, which is taking vitamins. Doing a vitamin fast may not give your body time to adjust and really show some odd results.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Also, how long vitamins stay in your system depends on the vitamin. So you might not have an accurate "baseline" since some of your oral vitamins will still be in storage in your body.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I would get one just for the yearly wellness check - they are free with most insurance companies. I like having a yearly update on my weight, blood pressure, and lipid panels all in one place on the providers website. It's pretty cool that in the US you can just log in to their site and pull all that data yourself if you want to. In Canada they don't have that option and we would have to ask for printed copies for yourself if you wanted them.

in ontario we can log in and get acess to all of our blood work? I have acess before the Dr. get it
  • RowdysLady
    Options

in ontario we can log in and get acess to all of our blood work? I have acess before the Dr. get it

I would imagine this is specific to your provider or group or location. In the States we've been mandated by federal statutes to go electronic so it only makes sense for providers to have a portal for patients. However, in some smaller rural areas I am not so sure they are up to speed yet. The government gives time frames depending on certain criteria. If Canada is anything like the US, I'd imagine it would be the same way.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

That's great that your Dr offers it because in Nova Scotia no doctors I seen offered it. This is new for me! I imagine they want you to come in for the office visit so they can bill the govt for the visit.
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've had PCPs enter into the system all the vitamins I take as if they were medications. If it were me, I would keep taking the vitamins. With less daylight time, Vit D3 needs to be increased, for sure. Some B vitamins are important for nerve health and mood. Omega3, ditto. The only exception was if there was anything I had doubts about and I'd like to eliminate, I'd try stopping it and see what the blood test reveals.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents: stay on them, have the blood work, then ask your new PCP if there is any chance you could begin to reduce some of them.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Me too with my 2 cents - I would stay on them. I only have ever had one physician tell me "You don't NEED vitamins - you get enough from your diet" and then he died pretty young of cancer. So I am spurning that advice. I know it is a pain to be taking so many supplements, I have carefully researched the ones I am taking, their uses, interactions etc but it amounts to a small dish of them - I try to space them out throughout the day.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ask upfront what your prospective PCP thinks about your WOE. My first visit to a conveniently located family practitioner was also my last when he expressed horror at the very thought of low carb and told me that he and his entire family were vegan. To each his own but obviously we were a poor fit.