Oh The Heavy Cream!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Cream settles to the top (of what milk should be) so 1/3 to 1/2 of the jug was cream. We shook milk before we drank it to blend it.

There's a small dairy near my parents' house that sells low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized milk in half-gallon glass bottles. We have to shake the jug to mix in the cream before pouring a glass. When my parents talked about doing that during their childhoods, I always thought it sounded gross...until I tried it.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Cream settles to the top (of what milk should be) so 1/3 to 1/2 of the jug was cream. We shook milk before we drank it to blend it.

There's a small dairy near my parents' house that sells low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized milk in half-gallon glass bottles. We have to shake the jug to mix in the cream before pouring a glass. When my parents talked about doing that during their childhoods, I always thought it sounded gross...until I tried it.

Still get this where I live... Fresh from the farm. I love it!
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am from Wisconsin.... land of the cows and cheese... so needless to say... YES... LOVE me some heavy cream!!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wisconsinite here, too. Parents farmed when I was small so milk came fresh from the barn as a whole food. DH worked at a cheese company when we were much younger and would bring home heavy cream from work sometimes. He also brought home lovely "test" plugs from various cheeses. Yum!

Today I have 1 to 2 TBL of cream in my morning coffee along with 2 TBL coconut oil. We don't even have milk in our home anymore (thanks for the "half and half" tip @silverfiend ). I make some sauces, our favorite being alfredo with cream, parm cheese and butter. I also whip it just for dessert adding some cocoa powder, a little double strength vanilla and sweetner (stevia). If my days carbs can accommodate it, I put a couple of tablespoons whipped on fresh berries. Sometimes I think about putting it on bacon...or putting bacon on it. <3

Maybe we need to start a cream sauce thread for recipes???
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee, and in foods. Haven't tried it straight unless it's whipped with some unsweetened cocoa. This stuff has saved my life, imo!! I get nervous when the supply is getting low too! I also have my husband using it too!

Btw: I use a tbsp in ten ounces of coffee (without sweetener)!
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I whip the cream, then flavour it with coffee extract - put some nuts on top - best dessert in the world.
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    53YOWM wrote: »
    Well, I enjoy drinking half-n-half straight. I haven't found any heavy cream that doesn't have carrageenan or disodium phosphate in it, so I haven't bought any. I guess I use 2oz of H-n-H in my coffee or tea.
    Okay, I found an additive-free heavy cream. I enjoy having a four ounce glass of it after I get home from work to brace myself for feeding the cats and dog. I always liked my ice cream melted, too, in the olden days.

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb - Whey Protein Shake with, 6 Tbsp HWC
    That's my lunch entry 5 times a week. <3

>:) or o:)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I use heavy cream when I can. It's so expensive, we often make do with half and half. Either way, I almost never buy coffee except for my 17yr old son.

BTW, if you're out of sweetener, an extra dose of cream or half/half really makes it drinkable. This coming from someone who started out on 6-8 pkts of sugar per coffee.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    LOL. I use only a tablespoon but could drink it plain.

Old timers like me might see it as no different than what milk used to be. As a kid, I would walk to my neighbor's who had a farm and pick up a gallon of milk for a quarter from their spring house. No appointment needed. Just get the milk and leave a quarter.

That milk/cream combo sounds dreamy...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I use 1 Tb. in my 4 'cups' of morning coffee (actually 6 oz. per cup according to my coffee maker). However, the past 2 weeks, I've been using 2-3 Tb. in my 4 cups because I had an expired carton to use up. I just used it up this morning, so now back to 1 Tb. starting tomorrow with a new carton.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My mom talks about this all the time. Apparently her and her sisters would get up early and go on the stoop where the milkman had left the glass bottled milk - and proceed to pour the cream off (!) so they could drink the milk. She says it used to make her dad furious. I bet!