Does it work as long term solution?

Options
My concern is that I will lose the weight from cutting carbs but is it a sustainable plan? How many grams of carbs is low and does one gradually reduce? Also when on a low carb diet, what carbs are acceptable. I'm thinking there would'nt be many foods. Another reason it may not be possible to maintain.

Replies

• r2coder
    r2coder Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Jimmy2035 - Yes and No this type of diet will definitely result in quick loss of weight quickly. Depending on what you do - you may lose as little as 3lbs a week up to 5lbs.
    • Low carbs is somewhere around 100 or less. At that level - you actually lose your appetite (I have and I LOVE it - for now).
    • Any carbs are acceptable as long as you stay within the "low carb" benchmark and have planned your meals around this.
    • While you may not be able to eat as many carbs as you used to - there are many resources to include the USDA 2015 Guidelines to help you make informed decisions.
    • You will definitely want to speak with a certified nutritionist/dietician to advise you on a plan that is tailored for you and your needs.
    • Sustainability - yes/maybe/no. This really depends on you, your determination and your willingness to understand this is not a 'one time' activity and then you return to your 'regularly scheduled program'. You are readjusting your life to fit your goal. So it's as sustainable as your investment.

Allow me to share my VLCD story (feel free to skip - its sort of long):
    A couple of years ago I signed up for a Bariatric Non-Medical Weightloss program in my area affiliated with the local healthcare system. I was testing a theory (I go through life with theories and experiments - it makes for intellectually stimulating adventures AND gives me permission to fail :) ). If you read online for VLCD - you'll find there are LOADS of messages with a bottom line of - WARNING - WORKS but HERE ARE THE DANGERS. I won't downplay the dangers as if you are not mindful, knowledgeable and sensible - you will lose the weight and then gain it back and sometimes more.

When I went through the program, my program physician was VERY cool about not making me eat an 'all product' diet. Products are the protein bars, protein shakes, protein chips and a host of prepackaged, non-living, astronaut-like foods to help maintain whatever caloric benchmark set for a person. I am a vegetarian (almost vegan) and the thought of not eating a salad or fruit was a no-go. I had already gone into the program with the "This is a lifestyle change" attitude and not eating foods I knew I would eat after the program was not going to work with my mindset.

So my physician worked with me to integrate 'real' food with 'product'. I lost 50lbs in 9 weeks. I felt VERY VERY awesome and was soo pleased with myself. It had been YEARS of up-down weightloss and exercise plans and food changes and never had I been able to lose THAT much weight. At the end of the 9 weeks I had about 40lbs left. I learned a lot from the program and so I did not renew for a second nine-weeks. I felt I could do it on my own by pretty much sticking to what I had been doing.

But life happened and the first thing to go to the wayside was journalling what I eat. I HATE doing this more than I dislike beets, okra and asparagus (which is a lot). And two years later I've gained 40 of the 50lbs back :::Sigh::: :(

[End of Story - onto encouragement ] :)

If you read others experience - you will find that the success rate on the upfront is high but the sustain rate - not-so-much. BUT do not despair - there are people who have been able to maintain a +/- 5lbs within their targeted weight goal.

And 2016 will be the year I do too!!

I'm back to the VLCD (800 or less) after transitioning from a LCD (1000 - 1200). I bring with me the same attitude of "Lifestyle" change + :::Sigh::: I have to journal what I eat for the duration of this lifetime. I feel like one of those people who have a problem, recognize the problem, are given a solution but do not want to be compliant (with consistency). Its really really a hard thing to digest that being overweight is a 'malady' I have to deal with 4ever. I've never done anything 4ever - so it seems there is no end in sight (with the exception of reaching my goal).

I've had to accept that I'll need to keep my caloric intake really low (1100 - 1250) AND incorporate some sort of 'exercise' <-- I don't like this term because it brings to mind gyms and you could dance, belly dance, do yoga, pilates or a number of things to achieve the 'heart-health' and strength building required. Whatever it is it should be FUN and motivate you to want more (in moderation).

This is what I do.

I try new activities - my new thing is yoga as I need to gain back my flexibility. And because I may have a meniscus tear (military life and years of volleyball past) - I am engaged in water/aqua therapy. It is the BEST form of non-impact strength training and cardio activity by far for me. I also swim (I took lessons a few years ago and am back at it).

So bottom line - VLCDs work. Be smart about it and seek the advice of a nutritionist to derive what is best for YOU... because in the end it IS all about YOU and YOUR health.

I hope this very long tome helps and motivates. I am hoping for the best for you! :smile:

/r
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    r2coder wrote: »
    Hi Jimmy2035 - Yes and No this type of diet will definitely result in quick loss of weight quickly. Depending on what you do - you may lose as little as 3lbs a week up to 5lbs.
    • Low carbs is somewhere around 100 or less. At that level - you actually lose your appetite (I have and I LOVE it - for now).
    • Any carbs are acceptable as long as you stay within the "low carb" benchmark and have planned your meals around this.
    • While you may not be able to eat as many carbs as you used to - there are many resources to include the USDA 2015 Guidelines to help you make informed decisions.
    • You will definitely want to speak with a certified nutritionist/dietician to advise you on a plan that is tailored for you and your needs.
    • Sustainability - yes/maybe/no. This really depends on you, your determination and your willingness to understand this is not a 'one time' activity and then you return to your 'regularly scheduled program'. You are readjusting your life to fit your goal. So it's as sustainable as your investment.

Allow me to share my VLCD story (feel free to skip - its sort of long):
    A couple of years ago I signed up for a Bariatric Non-Medical Weightloss program in my area affiliated with the local healthcare system. I was testing a theory (I go through life with theories and experiments - it makes for intellectually stimulating adventures AND gives me permission to fail :) ). If you read online for VLCD - you'll find there are LOADS of messages with a bottom line of - WARNING - WORKS but HERE ARE THE DANGERS. I won't downplay the dangers as if you are not mindful, knowledgeable and sensible - you will lose the weight and then gain it back and sometimes more.

When I went through the program, my program physician was VERY cool about not making me eat an 'all product' diet. Products are the protein bars, protein shakes, protein chips and a host of prepackaged, non-living, astronaut-like foods to help maintain whatever caloric benchmark set for a person. I am a vegetarian (almost vegan) and the thought of not eating a salad or fruit was a no-go. I had already gone into the program with the "This is a lifestyle change" attitude and not eating foods I knew I would eat after the program was not going to work with my mindset.

So my physician worked with me to integrate 'real' food with 'product'. I lost 50lbs in 9 weeks. I felt VERY VERY awesome and was soo pleased with myself. It had been YEARS of up-down weightloss and exercise plans and food changes and never had I been able to lose THAT much weight. At the end of the 9 weeks I had about 40lbs left. I learned a lot from the program and so I did not renew for a second nine-weeks. I felt I could do it on my own by pretty much sticking to what I had been doing.

But life happened and the first thing to go to the wayside was journalling what I eat. I HATE doing this more than I dislike beets, okra and asparagus (which is a lot). And two years later I've gained 40 of the 50lbs back :::Sigh::: :(

[End of Story - onto encouragement ] :)

If you read others experience - you will find that the success rate on the upfront is high but the sustain rate - not-so-much. BUT do not despair - there are people who have been able to maintain a +/- 5lbs within their targeted weight goal.

And 2016 will be the year I do too!!

I'm back to the VLCD (800 or less) after transitioning from a LCD (1000 - 1200). I bring with me the same attitude of "Lifestyle" change + :::Sigh::: I have to journal what I eat for the duration of this lifetime. I feel like one of those people who have a problem, recognize the problem, are given a solution but do not want to be compliant (with consistency). Its really really a hard thing to digest that being overweight is a 'malady' I have to deal with 4ever. I've never done anything 4ever - so it seems there is no end in sight (with the exception of reaching my goal).

I've had to accept that I'll need to keep my caloric intake really low (1100 - 1250) AND incorporate some sort of 'exercise' <-- I don't like this term because it brings to mind gyms and you could dance, belly dance, do yoga, pilates or a number of things to achieve the 'heart-health' and strength building required. Whatever it is it should be FUN and motivate you to want more (in moderation).

This is what I do.

I try new activities - my new thing is yoga as I need to gain back my flexibility. And because I may have a meniscus tear (military life and years of volleyball past) - I am engaged in water/aqua therapy. It is the BEST form of non-impact strength training and cardio activity by far for me. I also swim (I took lessons a few years ago and am back at it).

So bottom line - VLCDs work. Be smart about it and seek the advice of a nutritionist to derive what is best for YOU... because in the end it IS all about YOU and YOUR health.

I hope this very long tome helps and motivates. I am hoping for the best for you! :smile:

/r

Great post :)
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am going to try 800 calorie too. Was on Ideal protein using alternative products.
  • MrsS9296
    MrsS9296 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just began a medically supervised vlcd. I do shake supplements 3x day, and 3 small meals. Today is day 1 and I ended up right at 800 calories and didn't need to use the herbal appetite suppressant I was given.